It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Please help with MRI results

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
katiecat5601
(female)

katiecat5601 HB User
Please help with MRI results

Hello -

I was in an auto accident in early July. After months of pain, physical therapy and multiple cortisone shots I finally had an MRI. I received a copy of the results today and was wondering if someone would be able to help me understand them in plain English as my doctor's appointment isn't for several more days.

C1-C5 - no herniation or stenosis
C5-C6 - There is a disk bulge with a focal asymmetric right-sided disc herniation. There is mild severity of canal stenosis, midsagittal AP dimension measures 9.9 mm. There is approx. 50% narrowing of the entrance of the right neural foramina. Left neural foramina is intact. There is no myelomalacia.
C6-C7 - no herniation or stenosis
C7-T1 - no herniation or stenosis

Impression: disc bulge with a focal asymmetric right-sided disc herniation at C5-C6 level resulting in mild severity of canal stenosis. There is approx. 50% narrowing of the entrance of the neural foramina at the C5-c6 level.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Please help with MRI results

You were in an auto accident, they gave you PT and multiple cortisone shots, and THEN an MRI? Have you considered a new bunch of docs?

Your disk in between the C5 and C6 vertebrae has herniated, that is, some of the soft inner material has broken through the tough outer shell. This material has gone backward with a right-side bias. Your spinal canal has thus been narrowed to a front-to-back measurement of ~10mm, which is not particularly narrow. No effect on the cord itself is mentioned, so it's probably unaffected.

The hole in the bony cage of the spine through which passes the right C6 nerve (before heading down your shoulder and arm to your thumb) has been significantly narrowed, although the radiologist makes no mention of impingement of the C6 nerve itself.

Given that you have a herniation at one level and NOTHING worth even describing anywhere else, my amateur's guess would be that the herniation was at least precipitated by the accident. Whether or not the herniation is the cause of your pain, is not sure. Could be muscular trauma (e.g. whiplash). I guess you could tell by the KIND and EXTENT of the pain.

I strongly suggest you get two docs' opinions about this, one way of another...

Closed Thread