It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Seeking ACDF recovery advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
    Redbog
    (male)

Redbog HB User
    Question Seeking ACDF recovery advice

Greetings from Australia,

I am having a C6/C7 discectomy and fusion, (ACDF), due on November 19. The Dr says that post-op, I will be wearing a collar 24/7 for 6 weeks, and the only exercise allowed is walking. Also says I can commence static strengthening exercises, (whatever they may be), directed by a physiotherapist once the collar comes off.
    I would appreciate any advice on what "static strengthening exercises" might be, and any other exercises that people found useful?

Dr also says there is no particular diet or foods that help bone growth for the fusion. This sounds odd. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanking you in anticipation, cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
    dunerkat58
    (female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User
    Re: Seeking ACDF recovery advice

I am having the same surgery on November 18. I have had previous ACDF surgery and was told to walk by my doctor. I wasn't given any specific diet but I did stock up on soft foods such as soup, popsicles, yogurt, etc. for the first week or so. My recovery from the first ACDF was uneventful and the worst part was the muscle spasms in my shoulders from the positioning on the table during surgery.

Best wishes to you on your surgery and recovery!

The Following User Says Thank You to dunerkat58 For This Useful Post:
    Redbog (12-06-2013)
    Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

"Static" means "without motion", but I guess you knew that. Some kind of isometrics, I guess?

I'm inferring from what you said that the surgeon does not intend to put in "hardware", that is, to clamp the vertebrae together. Just let the fusion take place without any help other than being motionless? If so, that seems to be a new thing, at least here. Also, if so, can you let us know how it comes along?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

While there may not be a special "fusion" diet, I do think that its prudent to consider what sorts of nutrients your body will need to help you heal to the best of your ability after the surgery.

After a fusion, your body will need to generate new bone at the fusion site. Just as you need the right ingredients to bake a cake, you need the right nutrients to build bone. First and foremost make sure you are getting enough calcium on a daily basis. Follow the usual guidelines for your sex and age (easily found via google) and take the calcium in a formulation that is easy for your body to use. For most of us that means using a Calcium Citrate (Citracal) product as that product is more readily absorbed that other forms of calcium. If your body doesn't absorb the calcium you take, you may as well save your money and not take any. In other words, if you are going to bother to take calcium, take one that you know is most able to be used by your body to its best advantage. Other minerals are also important in bone health, particularly Magnesium is important. Magnesium can interact with some medications and disease states, so check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking a magnesium supplement. If they give you a green light to go ahead and take a magnesium supplement, 400 mg Magnesium Citrate would be an appropriate dose for most people. Lots of new information has been coming out over the last few years about how very important Vitamin D is for bone health! And not only are we learning about its importance, we are also learning that the vast majority of us are actually deficient in this vital nutrient. Vitamin D is actually produced in our bodies by our skin in response to sunlight. If you think about it, mankind evolved spending our days outside in the sunshine with most of our skin fully exposed. In more recent times, changes in our culture and environment have caused us to cover up our bodies. Finally, in current times concerns about skin cancer have caused us to actively avoid any sun exposure, so our bodies are just not able to naturally supply us with vitamin d anymore. Consequently, just about everyone needs a vitamin d supplement. Vitamin D levels can be easily measured by a simple lab test. For those of you who are about to undergo a fusion, ask your doctor at your pre-op physical to check your vitamin d level (print my post and bring it along to show to your provider if you like). If you have already had your surgery, then call your clinic and ask how you can go about getting your level checked. Once you have your results, anyone who is having bone and joint pain, or other bone issues should shoot for a level in the high normal range. Follow your doctor's directions on how to achieve the correct supplement dose to get you up into that high normal range. Once your level is up there, you may be surprised to find that you are feeling better than you have for a very long time! Finally, take a good quality multiple vitamin each day. I like to suggest Centrum or a generic version of Centrum is just fine.

I have people point out to me that vitamins are not necessary, and I agree with them, they are not necessary. I point out that experts also say that its not necessary to fertilize our yards. Yet when I look up and down my street, I can tell who bothers to fertilize their yard, and who does not. Personally, I like how my yard looks when its fertilized, so I don't feel bad about responsibly using a fertilizer.
    C4-5 ACDF 2006
    C3-6 ACDF 2013
    Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Last edited by Administrator; 11-25-2013 at 03:18 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laenini For This Useful Post:
    dreamdream (11-23-2013)
    Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
    IanGro
    (male)

IanGro HB User

G'Day Redbog,

It's been 7 days since your operation, hope everything went well and you are comfortable. I had triple ACDF C4 through C7 7 weeks ago and so far, so good. The worst effect has been my throat, still having problems swallowing and eating - the eating problems could be a blessing in disguise but I haven't lost much weight .

Incredible post by Laenini, still trying to digest all that information - sorry, couldn't resist . Feedback seemed to indicate an increased requirement for protein so I have been using protein powder in my shakes! Tough diet when you are encouraged to have a good shake every day, I always have a banana and usually throw in some other fruit for interest. Steer away from bread and sticky rice, cut up your food into small pieces and chew your food, hacking things up is not a pleasant experience.

My 6 week X-Ray showed that all 3 fusions have taken, but they won't get too enthusiastic until my X-Ray at the 12 week mark. I weaned myself off my NORCO painkiller (Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 10-325T), started at 4/day and went down to 1/2 a day at week 4. Kept that up until my 6 week follow-up and am now off, don't mind some pain as it's always good to be aware of what's happening. Neck brace is now off, that does feel very good and sleeping lying down and not propped up is a giant leap forward.

Make sure you get active ASAP, I started walking the second day and within a couple of days was walking 2-3 miles a day. Staves off the boredom and certainly helped in my mental state. Mixed it up with a treadmill at the gym and walking the streets for variety.

Don't forget that painkillers make you constipated and, as you wean off painkillers, do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stop the stool softeners until you are off the painkillers. This was a HUGE MISTAKE I made, hopefully I can stop you going through the 'I'm giving birth excruciating pain kill me' experience!

You should check up with your surgeon about exercise.
    Anyway, hope your recovery is as good as mine - I feel pretty lucky so far.

All the best ... Ian

PS The Ashes should be bringing a 'smile to your dial' so far

Last edited by Administrator; 11-25-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IanGro View Post

Don't forget that painkillers make you constipated and, as you wean off painkillers, do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stop the stool softeners until you are off the painkillers. This was a HUGE MISTAKE I made, hopefully I can stop you going through the 'I'm giving birth excruciating pain kill me' experience!

All the best ... Ian

LOL-yeah those painkillers might make you feel "funky" but they really are a pain in the butt if you don't take precautions to prevent the constipation.

The last time I had to take them I wound up in the ER because I was so stoked up and my intestines were basically paralyzed. I was told to take them with food and to also take miralax once a day.

The good news is they now have a drug that reverses the thing it does to your intestines if you get really stoked up and can't move anything through.

Last edited by Realhousewife; 12-04-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
    Redbog
    (male)

Redbog HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    "Static" means "without motion", but I guess you knew that. Some kind of isometrics, I guess?

I'm inferring from what you said that the surgeon does not intend to put in "hardware", that is, to clamp the vertebrae together. Just let the fusion take place without any help other than being motionless? If so, that seems to be a new thing, at least here. Also, if so, can you let us know how it comes along?
    Hi Webdozer,

Thanks for your post.
    Still no wiser about the exercise, it's now 2 weeks post-op, and walking lots, but no other exercise.

Have an artificial bone and titanium spacer in between C6 and C7, with a 3 torx head bone screws holding it all together, so fairly conventional I think? Cheers

Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
    Redbog
    (male)

Redbog HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laenini View Post
    While there may not be a special "fusion" diet, I do think that its prudent to consider what sorts of nutrients your body will need to help you heal to the best of your ability after the surgery.

After a fusion, your body will need to generate new bone at the fusion site. Just as you need the right ingredients to bake a cake, you need the right nutrients to build bone. First and foremost make sure you are getting enough calcium on a daily basis. Follow the usual guidelines for your sex and age (easily found via google) and take the calcium in a formulation that is easy for your body to use. For most of us that means using a Calcium Citrate (Citracal) product as that product is more readily absorbed that other forms of calcium. If your body doesn't absorb the calcium you take, you may as well save your money and not take any. In other words, if you are going to bother to take calcium, take one that you know is most able to be used by your body to its best advantage. Other minerals are also important in bone health, particularly Magnesium is important. Magnesium can interact with some medications and disease states, so check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking a magnesium supplement. If they give you a green light to go ahead and take a magnesium supplement, 400 mg Magnesium Citrate would be an appropriate dose for most people. Lots of new information has been coming out over the last few years about how very important Vitamin D is for bone health! And not only are we learning about its importance, we are also learning that the vast majority of us are actually deficient in this vital nutrient. Vitamin D is actually produced in our bodies by our skin in response to sunlight. If you think about it, mankind evolved spending our days outside in the sunshine with most of our skin fully exposed. In more recent times, changes in our culture and environment have caused us to cover up our bodies. Finally, in current times concerns about skin cancer have caused us to actively avoid any sun exposure, so our bodies are just not able to naturally supply us with vitamin d anymore. Consequently, just about everyone needs a vitamin d supplement. Vitamin D levels can be easily measured by a simple lab test. For those of you who are about to undergo a fusion, ask your doctor at your pre-op physical to check your vitamin d level (print my post and bring it along to show to your provider if you like). If you have already had your surgery, then call your clinic and ask how you can go about getting your level checked. Once you have your results, anyone who is having bone and joint pain, or other bone issues should shoot for a level in the high normal range. Follow your doctor's directions on how to achieve the correct supplement dose to get you up into that high normal range. Once your level is up there, you may be surprised to find that you are feeling better than you have for a very long time! Finally, take a good quality multiple vitamin each day. I like to suggest Centrum or a generic version of Centrum is just fine.

I have people point out to me that vitamins are not necessary, and I agree with them, they are not necessary. I point out that experts also say that its not necessary to fertilize our yards. Yet when I look up and down my street, I can tell who bothers to fertilize their yard, and who does not. Personally, I like how my yard looks when its fertilized, so I don't feel bad about responsibly using a fertilizer.
    WOW! Thank you Laenini for the excellent advice.

Cheers, Harry (Redbog)

Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
    Redbog
    (male)

Redbog HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IanGro View Post
    G'Day Redbog,

It's been 7 days since your operation, hope everything went well and you are comfortable. I had triple ACDF C4 through C7 7 weeks ago and so far, so good. The worst effect has been my throat, still having problems swallowing and eating - the eating problems could be a blessing in disguise but I haven't lost much weight .

Incredible post by Laenini, still trying to digest all that information - sorry, couldn't resist . Feedback seemed to indicate an increased requirement for protein so I have been using protein powder in my shakes! Tough diet when you are encouraged to have a good shake every day, I always have a banana and usually throw in some other fruit for interest. Steer away from bread and sticky rice, cut up your food into small pieces and chew your food, hacking things up is not a pleasant experience.

My 6 week X-Ray showed that all 3 fusions have taken, but they won't get too enthusiastic until my X-Ray at the 12 week mark. I weaned myself off my NORCO painkiller (Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 10-325T), started at 4/day and went down to 1/2 a day at week 4. Kept that up until my 6 week follow-up and am now off, don't mind some pain as it's always good to be aware of what's happening. Neck brace is now off, that does feel very good and sleeping lying down and not propped up is a giant leap forward.

Make sure you get active ASAP, I started walking the second day and within a couple of days was walking 2-3 miles a day. Staves off the boredom and certainly helped in my mental state. Mixed it up with a treadmill at the gym and walking the streets for variety.

All the best ... Ian

Thanks Ian, 2 weeks now, and you are so right about the throat. Have managed to get off the painkillers completely, and now walking about 5 kilometers, ( 3 miles) daily. The powdered laxatives are lifesavers, as the pain drugs (Oxyconton) will constipate you in a heartbeat!
    Taking calcium supplements, drinking milk, eating cheese etc, so hopefully the fusion will start doing it's thing.
    Yep, the cricket has been a good diversion, as being fairly pain-free but bascially unable to do anything but walk is quite frustrating.
    Thanks to everyone for advice, love Realhousewife's advice, the painkillers are a pain in the butt, literally!
    Cheers, Harry (Redbog)

Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I must say I'm quite surprised that you have hardware holding everything together and the doc still wanted you in a collar for so long. Seems very unnecessary....

Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
    Redbog
    (male)

Redbog HB User

Hi Webdozer, thanks for your thoughts. Maybe the Oz. surgeons are way more conservative, perhaps? They let me out of hospital after 4 days, ( considered about avergae here),but I see in the US some people are in only overnight. Also my surgeon is very hard to talk to, surgeons here consider themselves exalted beings, as in "My name is MR........" literally! I guess never having had an ACDF before, when the man says "wear the Aspen collar 24/7 for 6 weeks", I just said "OK". How long in a collar for you? Cheers mate, Harry (Redbog)

Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

After my C3-4 ACDF in 1996, the surgeon said I could wear a collar - when I went home after two days - if I wanted to, but it wasn't necessary.

After my C4-5-6 laminoplasty in 2011, the surgeon actually came into my recovery room a few hours after surgery and removed the collar they'd given me. Said he'd rather I not wear one.

So to be put into a collar - and an Aspen collar, no less - for six weeks, after a single-level ACDF-with-hardware strikes me as extreme.

Closed Thread