It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Donor Bone - what if they are rejected???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2003, 06:58 AM   #1
    inflight

inflight HB User
    Question Donor Bone - what if they are rejected???

Since my surgery - I've noticed a change in myself and am not sure if it could be related to the donor bone. Is it possible that a person's body can reject the bone? How will they know? What about Titanium - can that be rejected by one's body as well? I'm very curious. And how do they match up a donor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2003, 07:43 AM   #2
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi ,
    about the donor bone, there is very little possibility of rejecting it. This is because there is not any of the marrow used and therefor no blood components.what is rejected by the body are antigens from blood products. Donor bone contains none and is very safe .
    Titanium is also well tolerated. I am not sure what you mean by not feeling like yourself, you have been thru a magor surgical procedure, this involves alot of physical and mental stress to the body, and when you add all the meds, anesthesia, it really does take some time. With most surgeries, the incision is healed,the pain is gone, yet people are not back where they started for quite a few months. It takes a few months to regain that core strength and resiliancy, as well as to get past the residual fatigue.
    If you are concerned, always talk to your Dr, he can answer your questions specifically as well as check on your progress.
    Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 05-29-2003, 07:44 AM   #3
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Inflight,
    I'm sorry I never responded when you got home... I'm very far behind in everything I'm doing right now! But I'm glad to hear things essentially went well. That's always a huge relief!

You will not reject the donor bone... There are no blood cells in it, so it is just the bony matrix, which your body will eventually break down as part of its natural process of continually breaking down/rebuilding bones. As it's being broken down, it's also being replaced by new bone made by your own cells... and the hope is for that entire area to become solid bone.

Titanium is also chosen probably because it's tolerated well by most people. But I can't give you specifics on this.

What type of changes are you feeling? You know there is a risk of infection at the surgical site for about two years following the surgery... So you do have to keep an eye out for that type of thing.

If you have some alarming things happening to you, please call the doctor's office. But we all do feel sort of wretched after surgery, if that is what you mean. But there should be no personality changes, like some people talk about after organ (heart?) transplants... unless you are not tolerating some of your meds well.

You will take baby steps toward feeling better.. in two to three weeks you should notice a huge difference in your feelings and abilities...
    wr

Old 05-29-2003, 09:58 AM   #4
    inflight

inflight HB User
    Hi Winged Phanthom...
    I'm recouping as well as can be expected altho still have some serious spasms on the opposite side. Thanks for the info about the donor bone - I was just curious that's all. The changes I'm feeling are that I'm becoming too organized (perhaps out of boredom?) w/routine things. I see my family members lifting their brows at some of the things I'm doing. I've been listening to relaxation music and all of a sudden really enjoy it. I just feel different and can't explain why. I'm into thinking and eating healthy everything. Of course my diet is consisting of food I can slide down my throat for now but I'm not bothered by it. I would never eat home-made chicken soup 7 days in a row for lunch and dinner but I've grown to love it. At times my body tremors with spasms which I'm not sure if it should be doing that. My handwriting has become terrible since surgery as my hand shakes as well. Sometimes I'm emotional for no reason at all. I'm thru w/steroids and can only hope they get out of my system fast as I'm hoping the NS will tell me that's why these strange feelings. I only have 15 minutes to get my stitches out as a friend's daughter is having her's out right after my appt. I will try and get as many answers as possible. I should be getting ready. Thanks for the support. Judy

Closed Thread