It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• post cerv laminectomy shoulder pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
    angelfan

angelfan HB User
    Post post cerv laminectomy shoulder pain

Hello everyone,
    A question for anyone - has anyone who has had a cervical laminectomy suffered from shoulder pain, neck pain almost two years post op? Pre op I suffered from a myriad of neuro symptoms, little pain. Now I seem to be suffering with shoulder pain, pain on the right side of my neck which sometimes extends up to my scalp! Currently working as a teaching assistant, standing most of the day. Can no longer type for extended periods, which is what an Admin Asst does for most of the day, and what I was trained to do. My neck is screaming after I sit at a desk for more than 3 hours. Any advice? Thank you.

Angelfan
    C3,4,5,6 laminectomy/fusion using my own bone, rods, screws, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Angel, welcome to the board

Most of us have had anterior surgery, but if you are having a resurgence in symptoms, it may be time to go back to your doc and have another MRI done to see if another disc has herniated or if there is a change in the condition of your spine.

Sounds like your symptoms are severely interfering with your life right now and need to be taken care of.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 05-23-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Angel,
    Welcome to the board! You can do searches here for laminectomies, find out who has had them, and read their threads. I agree, it's time for more doctors and testing, especially an MRI, or whatever they may prefer if you have plating.
    wr

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

Old 05-29-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
    angelfan

angelfan HB User
    PsychLea,
    Thanks so much for the advice. I was afraid that everyone would say it's time to go back for more tests, which I have been avoiding. Nevertheless, I will schedule a follow-up with my NS, but part of me is convinced that the pain I feel is a result of being fused on so many levels. Thoughts? I know you know how wonderful it is to have this board, with such wonderful people on it. Thanks for the response.
    God Bless,
    Angelfan

Old 05-29-2003, 06:30 PM   #5
    angelfan

angelfan HB User
    Winged Phantom,
    Thank you also for your kind response. I have noticed most of the people on this board have had anterior surgeries - do you know why? My surgeon said I had too many levels to do anterior surgery. He said it would fail. Anyway, as I said in my other response to PsychLea, I will follow-up with my NS. Thank you so much for your concern/help. God Bless!
    Angelfan

Old 05-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
    Catherine with a C
    Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
    Hi Angelfan,
    I want to welcome you & let you know that I hope you find the answers to your questions with your NS.
    Please keep us posted...
    we prefer to know; in lieu of worrying!!~~

I do not have any answers..

I had a laminectomy/discestomy many moons ago!!(almost 20 years now) for lower back. No fusion. Complete success!! I am now almost 2 months post-op for 1 level fusion (doner bone) titanium plate avec screws.

Sorry I cannot offer words of wisdom~~~~~ just know that you are in the right place...we care!!

So, take care!!

Again welcome.
    Catherine

Old 05-29-2003, 10:40 PM   #7
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi Angel,

Just wanted to Welcome you aboard...I hope your NS can answer your questions...Please let us know what he says...some people seem to have a problem with worrying around here...they just get all in a tizzy when they don't hear from folks for awhile...sheesh

Take Care...Hope to hear from ya soon!!

Joanne

------------------
    • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
    • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
    • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
    • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 05-30-2003).]

Old 05-31-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
    angelfan

angelfan HB User
    Smile

Hi Catherine with a C!
    My daughter is Caitlin with a "C" - love it! Thank you so much for your concern/response. What a wonderful, warm group of people on here. I'm very glad I found it. I will let everyone know how I'm doing and what my NS says. Wish there were more people on board who have had cervical laminectomies, not that I would wish THAT on anyone! Take good care!
    Angelfan

Old 05-31-2003, 08:15 PM   #9
    angelfan

angelfan HB User
    Hello Joprud,
    Thank you also for your kind message. I'm really amazed at how many people truly care and take the time to let others know. As I said in my other response, I'll keep you posted. I've been procrastinating, as the LAST thing I want is to go back in for more. It took me very long to recover. The bright side is that my NS told me should I need further cervical surg. in the future (most likely), he would operate anteriorly and that would be a much easier surgery and recovery for me. I hope he's right.
    Take care, and thanks again.
    Angelfan

Old 05-31-2003, 10:28 PM   #10
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Angelfan -

I LOVE YOU!!! This is my story. I had little pain but the nerve problems were there for me. I had a 2 level ACDF with fusion and jewelry. The steroids pumped in my left arm made it useless! Could not close my hand. I'm 9 months post op and feel I'm 95% with the left arm. A lot of therapy putty use.

I experience pains in my shoulder blades, the tops of my arm muscles, too. I have dull aches, not sharp. My PT suggested possible rotator cuff problems. Well, the PT for cervical was put on hold due to a herniation in my lumbar area. I notice that I slouch more and more as the day goes on, adding to the pain.

My back doc authorized an MRI for me on June 10th. I'm hoping it's just pain that can be reduced with PT and not another herniation. If I have to have another neck surgery, I don't think I can handle it and a lumbar surgery.

jdog

Closed Thread