It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Asleep or Numbness??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2003, 06:29 AM   #1
    Midge130

Midge130 HB User
    Question Asleep or Numbness??

For the past (about) 3 weeks, I've been sleeping with my arms above my head while I'm on my back. I've never done this before. Anyway, I always wake up with my arms partially asleep, every time!! Do you think they are really going to sleep, or could it be numbness coming on? I've never experienced numbness before.

Thanks,
    Midge

------------------
    -Born a premie in 1964-8 wks early
    -C-section 1990
    -C-section 1992
    -C-section 1995
    -Shoulder pain since 2000
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -Myelogram 6-5-03
    -Surgery-unknown yet, probably in 7-03
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 06:44 AM   #2
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hey Midge,

That exact same thing happened to me before surgery, where I would sleep with my arms above my head and wake up with tingling down my arms and hands and sometimes the whole hand feeling dead. Everything would stop in a matter of seconds once I moved. I think we put pressure on the nerves with our arms like that, but there's something about putting the arms above the head that eases the neck pain--and that's, I guess, why we do it.

As far as numbness, I got several spots after surgery. These are spots on my leg where I can't feel the razor and an area in my palm that I can't feel when I'm washing my hands or putting on lotion. It's really strange. I tested to see if these spots were really numb by putting an ice cube there, and I couldn't feel the ice in any of the places for several weeks. I have one spot on my thigh where I still can't feel an ice cube. It's also very sensitive, meaning I can't stand to touch that area or have my husband touch it. The other areas still feel numb, but I can feel an ice cube now.

Hope this is helpful.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 06-03-2003, 07:15 AM   #3
    janie francine

janie francine HB User
    Hi Midge,
    Yes, I get numbness in my arms about a minute after I've put them over my head. I never even get a chance to go to sleep that way. I also get numbness if I'm lying on my side and my arms are lying on top of each other. It's the pits. I haven't had surgery yet, so I don't know if it will get better after or not. Don't know if that helps or not.
    Jeanine

Old 06-03-2003, 08:03 AM   #4
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    I too am numb...I could only wish. My arms hands and neck sometimes are all numb(this is a good day). When I lift my arms over my head they go numb in minutes now. Surgery is coming up soon but after reading that mans post about having that tube for three days I am beginning to have second, third and fourth serious qualms now. I hope this resolves itself for you and maybe just knowing others are having this will help.
    Have a pain free day.
    Peach

------------------
    ACF June 18, 2003 C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 with bone donor

[This message has been edited by BamaPeach (edited 06-03-2003).]

Old 06-03-2003, 08:48 AM   #5
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Cool

BamaP~

I think that the post about the tube is the exception and not the rule. Most people, from the posts I've read, do not even remember the tube at all. Try not to worry too much about that. More than likely you'll wake up with a sore throat, that's it, and that goes away quickly. If I had to choose the things I'd worry about, this would be WAY down there on the list. His story is rather unsettling, though.

Akuna Matada,

~Teri
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 06-03-2003, 11:34 AM   #6
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    I also get the numbess , legs /arms you name it. One of the problems when your arms are raised over your head , is if the numbness is nerve related or circulation , most likely a combination.
    When you are laying down, and your arms are over your head, the circulation is naturally diminished, and they will go to sleep. For us cervies, arms over head greatly reduces the neck and arm pain. I think it is both the cervie issues and circulatory both working together to increase this phenomena.
    I hope you have a good day, take care, Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 06-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #7
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    I've not had any surgery but I get my arms going to sleep on me from the elbows to the finger tips constantly just lying down...no matter where I put my arms...anyone else?

Joanne

------------------
    • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
    • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
    • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
    • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 06-03-2003).]

Old 06-03-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hey Joanne,
    me too. Arms and legs, no matter what position, but it you raise them, it increases the rate at which they go numb.
    Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Closed Thread