It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neurontin for pain at bone graft site

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2003, 09:03 AM   #1
    Merci

Merci HB User
    Question Neurontin for pain at bone graft site

My mate has been trying various pain meds. to help w/ the site where bone was taken from his hip to use in spinal fusions. The fusion site is not that bothersome (2 wks. post op) and xrays show it looks perfect, but the bone graft site has caused horrible pain. Yesterday he was prescribed Meperdine which made him drowsy, but did not help the pain. Today the surgeon saw him and prescribed neurontin which he just told me got rid of the pain *yea*! for awhile. Just wanted to share that in case anyone else is having severe pain at the bone graft site or other nerve pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Smile

Neurontin worked well for me for pain relief, and also eliminated my migraines for quite a while, but after 6 months of my body adapting to a dosage, then the doctor responding by increasing the dosage another notch, a bit at a time, I ended up after 5 months or so at 2000mg a day and ended up gaining 20 lbs and being pretty foggy most of the time. My short term memory was practically non-existant. However, if this does the trick for him for a month or two so he can get through the pain, I think it's a good choice. I don't know how much he's taking, but if it's a large dosage, be careful coming off it. Try cutting the dosage by 1/3 for a few days at a time on the way off it. I was told I didn't need to and I went through hell for 4 of 5 days (felt like an addict in a cold turkey ward!!). I sure hope he feels better, I hear that the hip bone graft site can be quite painful for some people. Good luck!
    Keith

Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
    Merci

Merci HB User
    Talking

Thanks Keith for your advice to come off neurontin slowly...I will pass that on to my mate. I know first hand it can be hell coming off some meds and so much easier if we are warned ahead of time to do it slowly.

Closed Thread