It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• I have another question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    Post I have another question

My surgery is the end of this month. My shoulder has been really hurting.I feels like it's in the joint. My question is this, could this be from my neck or is it probably another thing going wrong in my body? My neck problem is cervical myelopthy in c5,6 and c6,7 and bulging disc from c2,3 level through c6,7 levels.I hope everyone says my surgery will fix it.But I can handle it if you don't.....Ha
    Thanks, gsouth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
    vickig

vickig HB User
    hey gsouth,

Sorry you require surgery, but it will fix you up.
    I am post op 6 months and still have shoulder pain, but found out recently it was rotator cuff, due to degen. and wear and tear on my joint. Let me ask you this, I am on my way for a third MRI due to cont. neck pain and headaches, and only have 1 level above my 2 fusions which is my C2-3, I have heard that this level is a rarety to bulge or whatnot. Tell me how you may have injured or bulged this disc....Good Luck..thanks

Old 05-31-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hi G,

Boy, you have a lot of stuff going on. I have never had any shoulder joint pain at all. It has always felt like my arm is rotten (that's the best way I can describe it), and the muscles of my arm and shoulder have a horrible ache.

The end of June! They are making you wait a really long time, in my opinion, since you have myelopathy. How's your walking and strength?

Be careful, G.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 05-31-2003, 05:14 PM   #4
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    Hi Vickig,
    Probably the cause of mine is that I used to work in the stock room at a plant. There were about 6 ladies that worked there and we carried heavy boxes every day.I don't know this caused it for sure but it probably did. I worked there for about 9 years.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:19 PM   #5
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    Hi Memer,
    I have severe nerve damage in my left arm.Of course I'm left handed... I had carpal tunnel surgery in March and that helped some but my hand and arm is still weak. My ns said that the weakness now is coming from my problems in my neck.My walking is o.k. I have alot of dizzie spells.

gsouth

Old 05-31-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
    Midge130

Midge130 HB User
    Gsouth,
    I would say that your shoulder pain is from your neck, that's where my pain started 3 yrs ago. I have cervical stenosis at C4-C5. Good luck with your surgery, I don't have a date for mine yet, sometime this summer.
    Midge

------------------
    -Born a premie in 1964-8 wks early
    -C-section 1990
    -C-section 1992
    -C-section 1995
    -Shoulder pain since 2000
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -Myelogram 6-5-03
    -Surgery-unknown yet, probably in 7-03
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!

Old 05-31-2003, 10:57 PM   #7
    LMJ

LMJ HB User
    Hi gsouth,

I had a c5-6 rupture and most of my pain was in my left shoulder joint, radiating down the rest of my arm. When it first happened I thought I'd actually injured my shoulder instead of my neck. I'm also left-handed and the weakness and numb fingers that followed really scared me and led me to seek treatment the very next day.

The good news is that my ACDF surgery took away all of my left arm pain, as well as the constant muscle tension across my shoulders, but the numbness hasn't decreased any yet. I'm three and half weeks post-op and feeling better than I have in months. Best of luck to you!

Lisa J.

Old 06-01-2003, 09:44 AM   #8
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Smile

I strongly suspect the ACDF surgery will take care of your shoulder problem. I have bulging discs at C5-6 and C6-7 and severe disc degeneration throughout the whole neck, and my right shoulder, about a couple inches up from the shoulder socket hurts all the time, and now with a burning type pain. My right arm feels like it weights 3 times as much as the left and even using a comb in the morning I have to take breaks every few strokes because I can't hold my arm up (I'm terrible doing anything lefthanded!). I'm seeing the surgeon again to verify whether my shoulder problem is part of my neck ordeal or if it may be a separate issue, since that thought has crossed my mind as well.
    Good luck with yours, I hope the surgery solves all of your problems!
    Keith

Old 06-01-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Cool

GSouth~

Just another thought on the shoulder pain: Could it be that because of the neck problems, that you're sleeping positions have changed? I say this because I've had to start sleeping differently, and the position that eases my back the most, also puts a stress on my shoulder. It's a tradeoff, really. But I just wanted to throw that in. Something to ponder...

Take Care,

~Teri

------------------
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 06-05-2003, 07:46 PM   #10
    stolie
    Veteran
    (male)

stolie HB User
    Another consideration, when you have a neck problem with pinched nerves causing weakness in the arm and shoulder, that weakness can lead to a rotator cuff tear. So it could be a case of one problem having set you up for the other. Couldn't hurt to have the shoulder checked out. It's a comparatively easy surgery

Old 06-05-2003, 11:03 PM   #11
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Boy am I glad to see this thread!

Teri,

I have been having horrible pain in my left shoulder and I can't even touch it without searing pain. I have only been able to sleep in one position for 3 weeks, and even with pillow support, it did a real number on my left shoulder. I also had nerve pain there as well.

It's not much of a trade off, I'll tell you that. I'm going to discuss it with my NS. I can finally roll to the other side now. I have been using Lidoderm patches to dull the pain. It hurts worse than my neck now.

I hate being over 40 and falling apart at the seams, don't you?

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 06-06-2003, 05:33 AM   #12
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hey G.,

A relative has a rotator cuff tear, but he also has a large bulge. NS told him the bulge was not causing any of the problems, and the ortho agreed with that. They aren't doing anything for the neck. He is going to have surgery on the shoulder.

The funny thing is that previous ortho's thought nothing was wrong with the shoulder. One of them just gave him Vicodin and basically said, "Go away."

Anyway, it is true that neck and shoulder injuries are sometimes related: Neck problem--we overuse and hurt shoulder; shoulder problem--we overuse and hurt neck.

The ortho told my relative his neck pain is because of the weakness and pain in the shoulder, that he is overusing neck muscles to compensate.

I have been in PT for the last month, trying to strengthen my shoulder girgle because I have scapular winging, atrophy, pain, and weakness--all because of my neck problem. The joint itself doesn't hurt; it's all the muscles (and even feels like bones) that hurt.

Another funny thing is that my relative's pain and my pain are in the exact same place, but we have two different problems. He doesn't have joint pain either.

So, as you can see, you really should get your shoulder checked, just to be on the safe side.

p.s. Sorry this went so long. I hope it makes sense.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-05-2003).]

Closed Thread