It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Different kind of pain after ACDF with plates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
    2isenough

2isenough HB User
    Question Different kind of pain after ACDF with plates

Just wanted to know if anyone had any input, I am fairly new to this site. Had ACDF with plates 5 wks ago, since then of course had difficutly swallowing, ear pain, facial pain and now pain in my left leg and left behind, Am I a hypochondratic or is this a common thing or can it be a new prob or complications from the previous surg. Had x-rays, everything seems to be in place. Would appriciate any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi there, 2isenough,
    I just wanted to pop in and welcome you to the board.I have not had surgery yet, but first of all what were your symptoms pre-op? Are these things new since surgery?
    I am not a surgeon but what i understand of the cervical spine is that the magor nerves trigeminal, and some of the cranial nerves are enclosed in the spinal columm between C1 and C3. therefor any irritation and or surgery of the c spine could certainly cause irritaion of these nerves. Which supply part of the face, head and ears. The leg pain could be related to the same process of inflammation post op , the long tracts of the cord are on the outer layer of the cord and these supply the legs.
    Did you have cord compression or stenosis before surgery? There are so many variables, you need to keep in touch with your NS and discuss these issues, get him to answer your concerns. It is part of his job, and he was in there, this is his specialty and really any answers you get here while informative are general. They will not answer your specific case. This is where your NS comes in.
    I am sorry that your having these post op issues. Please let your NS know, take it easy. Once more welcome to the board, feel free to be yourself and let us know your questions and thoughts and we will always try to help. This is a truly unique site, and we are blessed with a great supportive and caring spiney family.
    Mel

------------------
    Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
    Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Closed Thread