It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF Revision Thoughts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
    rah468
    (female)

rah468 HB User
    ACDF Revision Thoughts

Hi. One morning just over 10 years ago I woke up with a wicked stiff neck and 3 weeks later had an ACDF c5-7 with a titanium plate and 5 screws. I'd never had any issues prior and it all came out of the blue. It was a shock to find out the 2 discs had pretty much disintegrated. I did great until the summer of 2010 when my left shoulder, arm and hand started tingling, burning and going numb. While trying conservative measures for several months I was sent for a CT Myelogram, after which I developed a spinal fluid leak. While waiting for a third blood patch the anesthesiologist asked a radiologist to re-read the Myelogram. The radiologist stated that while 5-6 had fused 6-7 had not. When my neurosurgeon was told this he was adamant that it was fine (his partner had done the plate surgery 10 years ago) and I didn't question it. Looking back now I know I should have but the meds and pain were messing with me in a big way. In May of 2011 I had foraminotomies and hemi-laminectomies from c4-7 and did great until November of last year. After months of conservative treatments again it was back to the operating room for a c7-t1 foraminotomy and hemi-laminectomy. The deep ache, burning and muscle spasms disappeared for about 2 months and then reappeared. My NS retired in September and I saw a new one in October. After introducing himself and going over my history he announced that I wasn't fused at c6-7. SURPRISE! Monday he will take bone marrow from my hip (I had donor bone 10 years ago), remove the plate and screws, make room for a Stalif C implant and put it in. The recovery 10 years ago was non-eventful and pretty quick. I was back to teaching about 2 1/5 weeks after surgery. Is it a bad idea for me to think that things will go just as smoothly this time around? What experiences have others had with revisions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: ACDF Revision Thoughts

No idea about revisions. Usually, what I've seen here - if I recall correctly - is that failed ACDF's are corrected with posterior fusions. My knowledge of this is near-nonexistent, though.

A "hemi-laminectomy" is also new to me. I wonder why they don't just do an open-door laminoplasty. I suppose the hemi-laminectomy would be an easier surgery, and probably involve less disturbance of the neck muscles, assuming that the spinous processes are left intact.

Anyway, good luck with the operation, and let's hope that they've successfully isolated the cause of your symptoms.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
    rah468
    (female)

rah468 HB User
    Re: ACDF Revision Thoughts

The revision surgery was just as easy as the original surgery 10 years ago. If I hadn't had a freak post-op migraine headache that kept me in intense pain for a week I could have gone back to work a week later.

Closed Thread