It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Scheuermann's Kyphosis w/ alot of questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #1
    Ei4

Ei4 HB User
    Post Scheuermann's Kyphosis w/ alot of questions

I am 22 years old and i have Scheuemann's Kyphosis. I am going to see a Doctor this week about surgery and i was wondering about it. If anyone knows could they tell me what kind of surgery they do, how long is the recovery period,and what kind of scars does it leave? Because I have heard so many diferent stories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
    Renee016

Renee016 HB User
    Hi, Ei4 - I'm sorry I have never heard of this before but I do know that a kyphosis is an abnormal curve in your spine. Where do you have the curve?

Hopefully someone who knows what this is will respond to you - if not, try to post your message on the back problems board.

Good luck and take care.
    Renee

------------------
    1982 Fusion surgery with stainless steel Harrington Rod - T5 - L3
    1999 Neck problems began
    2001 Cervical Kyphosis
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg problems - diagnosed with Myleopathy and anterior cervical discectomy recommended.
    2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
    2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
    Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
    7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
    7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 02-19-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
    dawng

dawng HB User
    well i can tell you that on Jan 10th 2003 ( by the way i am female) i had surgery to correct my kyphosis. i was first diagnosed back in 92 when i was 12 so i am 23 now. then i had a curve of 62 degrees which wasnt that bad. 2 years ago i had another x ray and my curve was then 70. then in Nov of 02 the doctors told me that my curve was 80. so it was time to get it fixed. i had a right thoracotomy. (they go in thru the right side of your rib and remove one to get to the front of the spine.) then i had a fusion to my t4 and t5 vertebrae where the curve was pronouced. then i had my back cut open from my neck at the top (t3-t11) so it is a fairly large scar. then i had anterior and posterior fusions done. along with rods on either side and screws and hooks holding it in place. i also had a iliac bone graft which is on the left lower hip on my pelvis. that is how it is done, i am currently 5 weeks and still recovering it is painful i wont lie to ya but they give you drugs so it helps. i was in the hospital for a week then rehab for a week. youll need a hospital bed when you get home and youll need a walker. but i am expriencing upper shoulder pain and neck pain and i am wearing what is called a tlso. it is a brace i have to wear it for 7 weeks and you wont be able to drive for a while . like 6 weeks to 8 weeks depending. Post again if you haev any more questions i can help you ive been thru this.

Dawn

[Please read and follow the board posting guidelines.
    Do not solicit off board communication by email. Thank you!]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 02-19-2003).]

Old 06-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
    amers726

amers726 HB User
    Lightbulb

Hi, my name is Amy and I'm 16 yrs. old from Denver. I have a kyphosis in my lumbar spine which is to be corrected on june 25th with fusion and rods. As the date gets closer and closer, I'm having second thoughts about it. I just want to know what to expect from this. What is the hospital stay like? What kind of pain should i expect (aching, burning, etc.)? How long until I may be able to walk again? When I leave the hospital will I be bed ridden at home or will I feel up to leaving the house occassionally? ANY information would help right now as i"m becoming very nervous and anxious.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
    Shizzy

Shizzy HB User
    Hi Ei4-
    I also had kyphosis and had an anterior fusion at T11-T12 level. I had a thoracotomy also like Dawn although I didn't know thats what it was called. Anyways Im wondering at what level your kyphosis is diagnosed.

Dawn-
    you said you had a 62 degree curve and said that wasnt bad, And im wondering if at different levels the curve is different. Thats worded bad, what I mean is I had a 55 degree curve at T12 and that is a significant curve. They begin doing surgeries if a curve is 20 degrees and Im just wondering if it was different at your level. I don't know if you are getting what I mean? Im not very good at these post's and wording what I mean. Thanks anyways!
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

------------------
    Old name Shiz Quit working...?
    19 yrs old
    July 2002- Rolled 3 wheeler, T11 T12 anterior wedged compression fractures.
    55 degree kyphosis (curve forward)
    Dec 5 2002- 2 level Anterior fusion.
    Rib removed, T12 removed, both used for bone in Cage. Also have plate and screws. Straightend up to about 20 degrees.
    55 degree kyphosis (curve forward)
    Dec 5 2002- 2 level Anterior fusion.
    Rib removed, T12 removed, both used for bone in Cage. Also have plate and screws. Straightend up to about 20 degrees.
    Dec. 11 2003- Find out I'm now curved to 30 degrees. Going for MRI

Old 06-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
    sandiegosteph

Quote:
    Originally posted by amers726:
    Hi, my name is Amy and I'm 16 yrs. old from Denver. I have a kyphosis in my lumbar spine which is to be corrected on june 25th with fusion and rods. As the date gets closer and closer, I'm having second thoughts about it. I just want to know what to expect from this. What is the hospital stay like? What kind of pain should i expect (aching, burning, etc.)? How long until I may be able to walk again? When I leave the hospital will I be bed ridden at home or will I feel up to leaving the house occassionally? ANY information would help right now as i"m becoming very nervous and anxious.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
    sandiegosteph

Hi Amy. Read your post, and you sound like you have some of the same questions I had. I am schedule to have Kyphosis surgery in January of 04. I asked the doctor many many many questions. He said that I would be in the hospital for about 5 days. When I got home, I would be in bed mostly for about 8 weeks. He said that because of the blood loss during surgery, I would be anemic and would be extremely tired for the 8 weeks and will mostly sleep. Apparently, you can walk that same day, and they do encourage walking after the 8 weeks. No riding in a car for 8 weeks. One cool thing, I get to have a new technique of Kyphosis surgery. It is a minimally invasive surgery with one incision under the right rig cage. They collapse one lung, and do the surgery from the front instead of that long incision and scar down your whole back. It'a also supposed to cut your recovery time in half. You might check and see if this is available for you if you haven't already. My newphew had his surgery last year, and he looks so wonderful! Straight as can be, no pain, and 30 pounds lighter. I am terrified, but looking forward to the end result. He said the pain is bad, but he got great pain killers for home and it wasn't too bad. Hope all goes well. Looking forward to hearing how your surgery went.
    Quote:
    Originally posted by sandiegosteph:

Closed Thread