It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck problems increased

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
    Cathric
    (female)

Cathric HB User
    Unhappy Neck problems increased

Through this episode the breathing has been the main problem but now the pain is worse. Both arms have shooting pains and every swallow is very painful. The swallow problem wasn't happening at all before. The arms are getting worse - I just keep telling myself that more time is needed to complete the healing. Did others have more pain 3-4 weeks after surgery? Are there just bad days then improvement?

I'm going to Florida July 14 for my mother's birthday. My five other siblings and their children will all be there so I will not miss! I plan on bringing my brace and wearing if necessary and doing whatever else I need to be more comfortable. I've already called the hotel and requested 8 pillows!

I'm scheduled to see a Pulmonary Doc in 2 weeks. Got on the list in case of an appointment cancellation so maybe earlier.

1968 Chronic pain since car accident - fractured neck and back vertebrae,
    broken ribs, concussion
    1968 ‘Bells Palsy’ - on/off for over 30 years - now considered facial nerve damage
    1976 Fibromyalgia (fibrosis then) diagnosed chronic pain
    1984 Back surgery – Laminectomy L4-5, 5-6
    1993 Car accident - rear ended neck problems increased
    1993 Breast Cancer
    1995 Breast Cancer again
    1995 Car accident - rear ended neck problems increased
    2000 Total Hysterectomy
    2002 Stroke due to brain lesion left temporal
    2002 Craniotomy - left temporal Cavernous Malformation
    2003 5/19/03 Emergency Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion and Plating C5-6 and C6-7
    NS said more neck surgery would be needed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
    janie francine

janie francine HB User
    Cathric,
    So sorry. Can't type. Praying, though.
    Jeanine

Old 06-13-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
    Midge130

Midge130 HB User
    Unhappy

Cathric,
    I'm so sorry that you're having so much trouble! YUCK!! And the pain in the arms are getting worse! Wow, I'm sure you're having trouble sleeping.

I hope that you'll be feeling better for your trip in July!! Good thinking for asking the hotel for extra pillows!!

I was just reading your 'signature'....WOW! You've been thru so much! Again, I'm sorry! My mom had breast cancer about 12 yrs ago, had one of her breast removed. Now she has leukemia and there's nothing they can do for her, at least it's progressing very slow right now.

Rest and feel better!!
    Midge

------------------
    -Born a premie in 1964-8 wks early
    -C-section 1990
    -C-section 1992
    -C-section 1995
    -Shoulder pain since 2000
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -Myelogram 6-5-03
    -Surgery-unknown yet, probably in 7-03
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!

Old 06-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi Cathric,

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time...You really have been through sooo much...I hope things ease up for you real soon...You are in my thoughts.

Take Care,
    Joanne

Old 06-13-2003, 11:13 PM   #5
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Cool

Cathric~

From the other posts I've read, it's not uncommon to have new pain and symptoms occur several weeks post-op. Still, it would probably be a good idea to run this by your doctor. It's hard to know sometimes what symptoms one should be concerned about, and what to contribute to the normal healing process. Breathing problems should always be addressed. Have you had breathing problems before?

I'm betting that in four weeks time, you'll be surprised at how far you've come, and will be able to handle the trip to your mother's.

Take Care, and call the doctor...just to ease your own mind...and ours.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Teri
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 06-14-2003, 03:41 AM   #6
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    i had to go back and find your earlier posts.... does the pain in your arms come from the area where you had the foramanal stenosis? I read it too quickly. Pain shooting down arms is what..? c 6-8?
    Hun I would call the doc. After my ACDF i had some bad days, but I attributed it to muscles and nerves that had been fried for 10 years just being MAD.
    Your surgery should have relieved the pressure on the nerves. Do you think it is muscular? Or is it the electric nerve thing?
    Having trouble breathing I would think would tense you up.... maybe it is all connected that way.
    I am thinking of you!!!
    sue

------------------
    L5 fused early 80's for spondylolisthesis
    2 level acdf 6/2000
    repair torn labrum 7/2000
    shoulder impingement 5/2003
    results are in, the fusion never fully healed. =/
    Surgery Set for June 27th
    shoulder impingement 5/2003
    results are in, the fusion never fully healed. =/
    revision and an overhaul surgery set for June 27th

Old 06-14-2003, 07:32 AM   #7
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hi Cathric,

If you are having electric type shooting pains down your arms, I think you should call your NS. I had those before surgery, but it was only when I tilted my head backwards.

My arm pain did get worse after surgery, but it's not the shooting pains anymore. It's more of a ripping/burning pain.

I know what you mean about the swallowing. It sounds funny, but it may hurt the BACK of your neck for several weeks, probably from all the swelling. That has stopped for me. When it was happening, if I would hold my head exactly in the right position, it didn't hurt. Soup and cereal were hard to eat because of the way we tend to lean over the bowl. If I would take the bite and straighten up, it wouldn't be so uncomfortable. I still occasionally have problems swallowing small pills, but it's no big deal.

I agree with Teri, that by the time July 14 comes around you'll probably feel better.

In the meantime, if those pains in your arms are like electricity, please call your NS.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 06-14-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    HI Cathric,
    I am so sorry to hear that your neck and arm pain is worse. Please contact your NS and insist on him at least talking to you over the phone.
    My advice to people/ patients is always that , you know your body, and you know what is increased or different, when there is concern on your part, you should let your Dr know. This is most likely still part of the inflammatory response with healing. But please let your NS know. Better safe than sorry, and if nothing else it will ease your mind.
    My! after reading your signature, you have certainly had your health battles. MOre than your share !
    But looking at the long term problems and past history with your neck it is important to let your NS know. It is part of his follow up care to know how you are , and where you are at in the healing process.Talking to him is important , to put your mind at ease, and to allow him to have a complete picture of your progress.
    Please take care, i hope and pray that you have some relief from your pain.
    Keep in touch, Mel

------------------
    Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
    Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
    loss of lordotic curve
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Closed Thread