It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Swallowing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
    CoffeeGirl

CoffeeGirl HB User
    Post Swallowing

Anyone with cervical problems and progressive weakness have swallowing problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2003, 11:06 AM   #2
    TropicalFox
    (female)

TropicalFox HB User
    Unhappy

Although not often, I sometimes have to be very careful with drier foods. What makes it seem odd though is that i also have trouble with saliva backing up and not being swallowed automatically. I hope you understand what I mean. It wakes me up at night choking. It's become progressively worse the last 2 weeks.

How about you?

Sandra

------------------
    " In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
    Author Unknown

Old 03-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
    CoffeeGirl

CoffeeGirl HB User
    I thought maybe I was losing my mind. I felt my tongue actually tingle some... and then like a big lump in the back... and difficulty swallowing.

It's a bit nerve wracking at times.

Things seem progressive.

Old 03-26-2003, 12:39 PM   #4
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    HI there,
    swallowing difficulties, hoarse,crackly voice, loss of gag reflex can most certainly be related to your cervical problems. It is related to the ninth and tenth cranial nerve s being involved. I think the names of the nerves are Glossopharyngeal and Vagus.
    Involvement of these nerves can also affect your sense of taste , could cause regugitation of fluids into the nose while trying to swallow.
    What level is your problem in the spine,? And is your Dr. aware of these symptoms, if not it is very important to let the doc. know about them.
    I had noticed my voice gets crackly easily,and is kind of nasal, and that my food didn't taste right any more. I didn't really put much importance on it. When I went for a thorough evaluation, I was stunned. They stuck a stick into my throat, and voila, no gag reflex. I couldn't even feel it. I dont have swallowing problems , like choking or anything, just sometimes I have a mouthful and its like I really have to think about it. The swallow just isn't automatic sometimes. I hope this info helps. As usual I have competely run on at the mouth, but thats me. It's a good sign, means I'm feling pretty good today.
    Take care, Mel

ps. snoring would be part of the same nerve involvment, if it is a new thing for you.
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 03-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    I was just reading some old posts, did I miss it, or have you had your MRI yet? If so what were the results? Do you have a neuro taking care of you, if not , I think it would be wise to get one.
    Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 06-08-2003, 06:53 AM   #6
    2isenough

2isenough HB User
    Hey Coffeegirl,
    How is your swallowing?? Has it gotten any better? I just had ACDF with plates 5 wks ago and have been having trouble swallowing since, sometimes it is so bad I feel as if I can't breathe, they tell me it is
    muscle spasms. I am on muscle relaxers three times a day and don't seem to be getting any results! Any suggestions?
    Lisa

Old 06-08-2003, 06:54 AM   #7
    2isenough

2isenough HB User
    Hey Coffeegirl,
    How is your swallowing?? Has it gotten any better? I just had ACDF with plates 5 wks ago and have been having trouble swallowing since, sometimes it is so bad I feel as if I can't breathe, they tell me it is
    muscle spasms. I am on muscle relaxers three times a day and don't seem to be getting any results! Any suggestions?
    Lisa

Old 06-09-2003, 04:47 AM   #8
    magtize

magtize HB User
    Coffeegirl
    Thanks for asking that question,I too have hard time swallowing but never thougth it was connected to spine
    Hope you are doing better
    2isenough
    Welcome you will find a warm and caring bunch hereand learn so much thru sharing.Keep us posted on how things are going for you
    Mel Thanks for all the information. I also have some of those symptons but never told DR.Didn't think it was anything connected to spine condition.You can bet that he will know when I see him next.
    Hope all have a pain free day
    Elaine
    Ps sorry this is so late but under the weather for last 2 days
    Elaine

------------------
    car accident 72 S2 fused 76 Surgery 96 c5-6 fused
    aug pains in neck started with pain meds. had X-rays MRI Mylagram
    c2-3 c3-4 broadbase buldge c6-7 buldge.pinched nerve,arthritis,spinal stenosis.Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day apap/codeine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500 mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day Massages,PT,PM SO FAR NO RELIEFLost job as have been off work since Sept 02 3 good days since then
    c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.
    ACDF C 4-5 on 9-2-03 titaium plate 4 screws

Old 06-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
    ladyblue

ladyblue HB User
    I too have swallowing trouble. It always seems as if someone is pressing on my larynx. Breathing is a bit raspy. Melanie, I am so glad you said something about food tasting different. I have been telling my hubby ever since I got home that nothing tasted right. I thought it was just me being wierd. I mainly choke on thin liquids when I drink, food doesnt seem to be much of a problem. I just hope its all temporary and goes away soon. Also the voice trouble I am experiencing. I sound like a mouse and it gets worse as the day goes by.

Lisa

Closed Thread