It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help understanding what MRI Means

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
    dumbo27
    (male)

dumbo27 HB User
    Help understanding what MRI Means

The disk at the level of C3-C4 reveals a minimal disk osteophyte complex, causing compression of the thecal sac. Would this cause any symptions of any kind? Thank You for your input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Help understanding what MRI Means

The "thecal sac" is the membrane that surrounds the spinal canal, holding in the cerebrospinal fluid (csf). Inside the fluid, and cushioned by it, is the spinal cord. The thecal sac lies within the vertical column of bones - called the spine - where the vetebral column (with intervetrebral disks) lies in front, with the pedicles, facets and laminas forming the sides and back.

As the disks become worn down over decades, greater stress is placed on the interface between the disks and the vertebrae, and the vertebrae respond by laying on extra bone - osteophytes. These osteophytes push backward, and press on the thecal sac. If they are large enough, they can even indent the spinal cord, or impinge on the spinal nerves as they leave the cord.

Standard terminology for radiologists in describing spinal abnormalities is minimal/mild/moderate/severe. "Minimal" might be translated as "I can just make it out, and it's of no concern".

If that's the worst that can be said about your cervical spine, you probably are in very good condition, at least in that respect. Cervical-spinal abnormalities are so close to universal from middle age on that I'd guess you're still pretty young.

All this from an interested amateur, so take it for what it's worth, and take it back to the ordering doc for follow-up.

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-13-2013 at 04:32 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    dumbo27 (12-13-2013)
    Closed Thread