It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• I have fever from epidural injection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    Post I have fever from epidural injection

I've never had a fever before from an injection. I had both epidural and facet injection. Has anyone else had fever from this. Been going between 99.9 to 100.7 for the last three days and just now it climed to 100.8. Did call office and waiting for a call back. What next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    I think you did the right thing in calling the doctor. Epidural injections are invasisve procedures, but the risk of infection is minimal. You could have an infection or virus in some other part of your body as well. Get your doc to check you out.

Let us know how it goes.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 06-12-2003, 06:43 PM   #3
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    Thanks. I did go in and got checked out. All is ok with a slight reaction from the injection. Nothing major.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Unhappy

How is your fever doing today? I've never had a fever that I know of from one, but I'd be concerned about infection.
    Keith

[This message has been edited by KeithEugeneW (edited 06-13-2003).]

Old 06-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    I'm still running a fever like I have been since Mon 6-9 (8 days now) since the injection but it has gone up to 101.7. I had another MRI done last Sat and got a different result. Since I felt worse on Sun and my temp increased I called PM dr. and he sent me to an infectious disease dr. the next day who sent me to a lab for blood work yesterday. I have follow up with infectious disease dr on Thursday for the results of the blood work and I have to keep track of my temp till then. Both dr's thought I may have an infection but the pm dr. didn't want to give me antibiotics cause it may mess up a culture.

I have had ongoing headaches and increase of pain. MRI really confused me this time. ....

The infectious disease dr. saw me on Monday. I told him what was going on and he said he recommended an MRI I said I had one on Sat. The results were right in my chart he was looking at. He looks at them and says nothing but bulging discs. MRI normal. I ask for a copy of the MRI after I checked out.

This is what the MRI report said. .
    Exam reveals that the vertebral bodies are normal in appearance and alignment with no abmormal marrow signal. No disk pathology is seen. At the level of C-56 there is left foraminal stenosis at c5-6 due to bony spondylosis at the uncovertebral joint with mild central stenosis at this level. I called the pm dr. office and the nurse couldn't really explain much about it just that it was "arthritis" and cervical stenosis where there is a nerve being compressed. She said the dr. would talk to me at my appointment next Monday. I'm glad the disc healed but I'm confused. The first MRI done last Aug said I had bulging disc from c-5-7 and one herniated disc at c-7. How could I go from having bulging disc and one herniated 10 months ago to nothing showing on this MRI with the disc and these three additional diagnosis of cervical stenosis, spondylosis, and foraminal stenosis and "ARTHRITIS"? Nurse at pm dr said treatment for this "arthritis" is injections. I hope the numbness and weakness go away. I'm shocked that I now have arthritis!!! I'm only 31 and arthritis never showed up before. The lady that did the MRI interrupted me during the picture and asked me if I dry cleaned my shirt and said she saw artifact on the picture. She told me at the end that they hope they found a reason for the pain and numbness. The numbess is also new since the injection. I'm not sure what is going on. I don't talk to the pm dr. about the MRI results till next week.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #6
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Smile

With a fever that has hung in there this long and has gone up, after an epidural I'd be concerned that they penetrated the sac around your spinal cord and introduced a bacterial infection, especially with the headache and pain symptoms. I would stay on top of this and don't let the doctors make you wait to get in to see them. If you've already had the tests, they should have you on antibiotics by now. I'd call the doc and get an antibiotic perscription called in somewhere ASAP if it was me. I have a friend who got a bacterial infection from a myelogram, and he almost died from it before they finally figured out what it was and treated him correctly. I don't want to scare you, but at the same time I want to make sure you know this is potentially serious and I time is not on your side without antibiotics in your system. Please post back, you've got me pretty worried now.
    Keith

Old 06-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #7
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    Unfortunately the results take 24-48 hours to come back so I will call the office first thing in the moring when the office opens up to see if they came back yet. I had it done around 2 pm yesterday. PM dr office did call me today to see how I was doing and I told them I still had a fever and headaches. They wanted to know the results when they came in so I'm still waiting....

edited to add.. By the way my temp at the infectious disease dr. was only 97.something orally. I've been taking the ear temp so not sure if it's even accurate. 99.5-100.2 and its different in each ear.

[This message has been edited by j_f_2003 (edited 06-17-2003).]

Old 06-18-2003, 04:51 AM   #8
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    My temp was 98.9 this morning orally and 99.2 in the ear. I know it usually goes down somewhat after I've been in bed or resting during the afternoon. Maybe my activity has something to do with it. Only 1 more hour till dr's office opens but I think they are probably going to tell me I have to wait till I see the dr. tomorrow for the results.
    While I was seeing the dr. the nurse came into the room and said another dr. was on the phone for him and he got this irritated look on his face and left. I sure don't want to bother this guy unless I know I'm dying or something. Thanks for your concerns. I know I had a family member die from a bacterial infection a couple months ago but there is only so much the nurses at the office can tell me to do and one of them is to wait till tomorrow. I'll try to speed up getting results or antibiotics but since my temp is normal this morning I'm not sure they will take me seriously. I may give pm dr. a call if no luck there because they are really concerned about me and they are the ones that wanted me on antibiotics. I didn't tell them that the other dr. didn't give me any antibiotics just that the test results take 24-48 hours to come back which they wanted faxed to them asap.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    I called and asked them to fax the results to the pm dr and to me. They said they gave everything but the blood cultures aren't finalized. The dr. has to sign off on them when he comes in at 10:30. I told them I was getting worse and they said they would fax the results after the dr. signed them. With the pain I'm having, I'm sure not going to want to take up to 4 pain pills a day (we leave for a 3 week vacation in 3 weeks) so I am going to request another injection before vacation as long as I don't have an infection.

Old 06-18-2003, 08:10 AM   #10
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Smile

That's good news on the fever coming back down, sounds like maybe that infection is being kicked by your own immune system. Sure glad to hear that!
    Keith

Old 06-18-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    :

[This message has been edited by j_f_2003 (edited 06-18-2003).]

Old 06-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #12
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    I spoke to someone at the office and they told me it takes 5 days for the cultures to come back!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif They got the preliminary but she told me to keep the appt with the dr. tomorrow in case he wanted me on i.v. or antibiotics. I have no idea what is going on. Preliminary showed numbers only but no H or L with the numbers. That's a relief but I still have elevated temp when I increase my activity and still taking 4 pain pills a day. Maybe the ear temp isn't the best thing to use. I get normal temp with oral. Will keep waiting.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #13
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    I spoke to someone at the office and they told me it takes 5 days for the cultures to come back!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif They got the preliminary but she told me to keep the appt with the dr. tomorrow in case he wanted me on i.v. or antibiotics. I have no idea what is going on. Preliminary showed numbers only but no H or L with the numbers. That's a relief but I still have elevated temp when I increase my activity and still taking 4 pain pills a day. Maybe the ear temp isn't the best thing to use. I get normal temp with oral. Will keep waiting.

Old 06-18-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi , I am sorry that you are going thru this. You are obviously fighting something. You get a lower reading with an oral thermomter.In nursing we were taught to add a degree to an oral temp, , rectal is accurate. The ear is closest to the actual core body temp than an oral temp, as long as the probe is in the ear canal properly. And try to use the same ear all the time for readings. The ears often read differently. As for blood cultures, antibiotics can and should be started after the cultre is drawn if the fear and or signs of infection are significant.Antibiotics are often started before the culture.The lab just needs to know what kind and for how long.Blood is three days to culture. Of course this is all how it is in the hospital, but it should not be that much different in the community setting.
    If a culture comes back and your on the wrong antibiotic for the bacterial strain, they can always change it.
    I hope you are soon feeling better, keep in touch.
    Mel

------------------
    Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
    Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
    loss of lordotic curve
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 06-19-2003, 11:43 AM   #15
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    Dr. said no antibiotics as blood test came back normal. He said it's probably a virus and he's seen patients that had fevers for weeks. He also said he didn't recommend me having another injection. I told him I wanted pain relief before going on vacation and I was upset. I told him I didn't want to keep taking up to 4 pain pills a day and he asked me if I tried the pain patch. I never heard of that. He asked me what type of dr's I saw and I told him pain mgt and a rehab dr. I have been in pain for 10 months. I thought that if I had an infection the treatment for that would take care of my pain. Now I can't even have another injection because of the fever. He wanted to do a MRI of my brain because of my headaches but I'm sure they are related to the neck problems. I am not going for the MRI and will tell the nurse to cancel. I feel it's all just a waste of time and money and my s/o is upset that I keep having to go back and forth to the dr. and I'm still in pain and not better. He asked me if I saw a spine dr. and I said no. Do I see a spine orthopedic or n.s.? I wish the dr's appt would just end and the pain would end. Severely depressed.

Closed Thread