It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• smoking and fusion.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    Question smoking and fusion.....

just curious as to how many smoked, still smoke, quit smoking.... fused, didn't fuse....
    i didn't finish fusing... ( gee sue we can see that duh) and it could be because I kept smoking...

sue

------------------
    L5 fused early 80's for spondylolisthesis
    2 level acdf 6/2000
    repair torn labrum 7/2000
    shoulder impingement 5/2003
    results are in, the fusion never fully healed. =/
    revision and an overhaul surgery set for June 27th

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2003, 02:28 PM   #2
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    oh BTW I did quit.... 11 days no smoke here......
    learned my lesson

sue

Old 06-19-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
    Mellie888

Mellie888 HB User
    Dear Sue,

I had a one level fusion (C4-5) on February 6th, my neurosurgeon knew I smoked and never said anything about it. I had a plate, screws and a cage. I am fully fused and haven't had a problem since! I hope I don't have future problems, like you. It sounds horrible and I wish you the best.

Mellie

Old 06-19-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    I quit smoking after 30 years. My NS said he could fix my neck but he couldn't stop me from smoking so I told him I would quit.He said if I didn't the fusion had only a 50% chance of being successful. I don't know if his numbers are correct but they scared me into quiting! I'm going on 2 months as a non smoker and I'm happy I was able to stop. I tried everything to quit and I do mean everything but the only thing that worked for me was just throw them away and not pick them back up. I will never give anyone a hard time for smoking because I know how hard it was for me to give them up.
    I hope anyone that wants to quit is as successful as I was.

firefighter_101

Old 06-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    Hi Sue,

My doctor almost rescheduled my surgery on me when he found out I smoke. So I went and got the patch and started my non-smoking efforts yesterday. When he found out I did that, he agreed to do my surgery on 07/01 afterall. He said (and so did the second opinion doc) that it interferes with the fusion. Something about the carbon monoxide. But, all doctors try to get us to quit smoking so I wasn't sure if this was just another doctor (with a little more leverage than the rest of them)trying to get me to quit or if was serious. But, he was adament about it, either I quit or he wouldn't do the surgery. So, after 25 years of polluting my body, I'm on the road to being a non-smoker a week and a half pre-op. I'll have to remember to thank him for that

Herniated discs at C4-5 & C5-6
    Spinal Cord compressed 5mm at C4-5, 7mm at C5-6 due to Spondylosis
    ACDF with Hardware at both levels on 07/01/03

Old 06-19-2003, 06:22 PM   #6
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Sue -

I've also been told that caffiene sometimes causes calcium deposits in the bones to break away, so smoking is not the only culprit.

I was always curious why my hospital meal sheet read decaff coffee for breakfast and decaff ice tea at other meals.

Also, for future fusions, ask for one of thos SpinalPak fusion enhancers.

jdog

Old 06-19-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Cool

Sue~

My two fusions were at ages 10 and 12. I didn't smoke then, but have for most of my life since age 17, except for a period of 7 yrs. So that's 21 yrs of smoking.

I've often wondered if my smoking had something to do with my fusion failing later on. They were solid fusions until '87, or that's when the first mention of psuedoarthrosis was made.

I'll be having another fusion down the road...and I plan to quit, but don't feel too confident about that right now.

Congratulations on 11 days!! You'll be my role model

Keep it Up!

~Teri

------------------
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 06-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #8
    janie francine

janie francine HB User
    I've been an on-and-off smoker for years. Quit once for 3 and a half years and once for 11 (!!!) years (my divorce did me in). Since then, I've had a very difficult time with it. It doesn't help that my DH smokes, too, and is much less motivated than I am. But I can't blame it on him. Hopefully, this will be what gets me to give it up permanently. I've heard recovered alcoholics and heroin addicts say they were able to give up the booze/drugs, but have never been able to break their nicotine addiction. Good luck to all are working on it now! You're success is a real motivation for me. Hang in there.
    Janie Francine

Old 06-21-2003, 05:21 PM   #9
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    ok cannot give up the caffine =( not in this for Sainthood! LOLOL

it is weird to me, how I can grow oysteophytes like crazy, and miss a slice of bone to finish fusing.....

sue

------------------
    L5 fused early 80's for spondylolisthesis
    2 level acdf 6/2000
    repair torn labrum 7/2000

Old 06-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #10
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by DebbieMc:
    Hi Sue,

My doctor almost rescheduled my surgery on me when he found out I smoke. So I went and got the patch and started my non-smoking efforts yesterday.
    YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!
    sue

Old 06-22-2003, 03:39 AM   #11
    DogGroomer

DogGroomer HB User
    Hey Sue!

Well if your like me, I love my Caffine. I'm what they call a "Java Junkie" or "Coffee Conusure". (I don't think I spelt that right) Anyway...when there's coffee, there's cigarettes. Tough habit to break. I read up on Spinal Disorders & smoking and from what I read, it doesn't help our condition any. God only knows youv'e definitely been through alot more than I have. I give alot of credit to those who have quit. Me on the other hand, I not ready.

Carolyn
    C3-4: Intervertebral disc normal in height. Small posterior osteophyte/disc complex which causes effacement of the ventral surface of the thecal sac but no central canal stenosis. Mild to moderate right & mild left neural foraminal narrowing due to facet arthropathy & uncovertebral osteophytes.
    C4-5: Moderate disc space narrowing. There's a posterior osteophyte/disc complex with possible superimposed posterior central/right paracentral disc extrusion which migrates minimally along the posterior aspect of L5. Results in mild acquired central canal stenosis. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes & less so to facet arthropathy.
    C5-6: There's moderate to severe discogenic disease. A broad based posterior osteophyte/disc complex causes effacement of the thecal sac resulting in mild acquried central canal stenosis. There's moderately severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes.
    C6-7: Mild disc space narrowing. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to unconvertebral osteophytes.
    C7-T1: Intervertebral disc is normal in appearance.
    6/16/03 MRI Results Lumbar Spine
    1. Degenerative Lumbar disc disease L3-4 with a nearly 3mm broad based central disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral aspect of the thecal sac at this level.
    2. Mild annular bulge of the L4-5 disc seen in association with mild facet hypertrophy. Disc extends toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramina bilaterally but without direct neural compression.
    L3-4: There's a central 2-3mm disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral thecal sac & contributing to a mild degree of aquired central stenosis. No significant foraminal encroahment is identified.
    L4-5: There's a slight flattening of the posterior disc contour. There's mild hypertrophic change of the facet joints. Slight extension of the disc toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramen but below the level of the exiting nerve roots. There's mild hypertrophy of the facet joints.
    L5-S1: No discrete disc protrusion is indentified. No definite central foraminal stenosis noted.

Old 06-22-2003, 04:49 AM   #12
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    oh carolyn,
    i was not ready either. i don't want to quit, am not ready to quit. as horrible and nasty an addiction as it is..... i like my smokes. they keep me sane. sometimes i think, they are/were the only things keeping me from livin in a rubber room..... lol

ya know how you get to feeling angry about your pain and surgery and *stuff* well haveing to quit smoking.... has made me angry too. DUMB huh? but true. I resent the fact that I have to give em up.

I will say it again..... I need my head examined! lol

sue

Old 06-22-2003, 05:07 AM   #13
    DogGroomer

DogGroomer HB User
    Sue...You sound perfectly sane to me. I'm still in my early stages of all of this. Crappy & ignorant Doctors, pain, W/C Stuff, etc., etc. I can only imagine how you feel going through this stuff for years & years. Quitting smoking...I agree...out of the question. LOL!

Carolyn
    C3-4: Intervertebral disc normal in height. Small posterior osteophyte/disc complex which causes effacement of the ventral surface of the thecal sac but no central canal stenosis. Mild to moderate right & mild left neural foraminal narrowing due to facet arthropathy & uncovertebral osteophytes.
    C4-5: Moderate disc space narrowing. There's a posterior osteophyte/disc complex with possible superimposed posterior central/right paracentral disc extrusion which migrates minimally along the posterior aspect of L5. Results in mild acquired central canal stenosis. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes & less so to facet arthropathy.
    C5-6: There's moderate to severe discogenic disease. A broad based posterior osteophyte/disc complex causes effacement of the thecal sac resulting in mild acquried central canal stenosis. There's moderately severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes.
    C6-7: Mild disc space narrowing. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to unconvertebral osteophytes.
    C7-T1: Intervertebral disc is normal in appearance.
    6/16/03 MRI Results Lumbar Spine
    1. Degenerative Lumbar disc disease L3-4 with a nearly 3mm broad based central disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral aspect of the thecal sac at this level.
    2. Mild annular bulge of the L4-5 disc seen in association with mild facet hypertrophy. Disc extends toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramina bilaterally but without direct neural compression.
    L3-4: There's a central 2-3mm disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral thecal sac & contributing to a mild degree of aquired central stenosis. No significant foraminal encroahment is identified.
    L4-5: There's a slight flattening of the posterior disc contour. There's mild hypertrophic change of the facet joints. Slight extension of the disc toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramen but below the level of the exiting nerve roots. There's mild hypertrophy of the facet joints.
    L5-S1: No discrete disc protrusion is indentified. No definite central foraminal stenosis noted.

Closed Thread