It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Got the Brain MRI results.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
    bdb

bdb HB User
    Post Got the Brain MRI results.

I saw the neurologist today and got the results of the Brain scan that I had done a couple of weeks ago. I have questions and he didn't seem to want to answer them right now. He wants me to keep track of the headaches for another month and to lie down when I get them now. At this rate I will be lying down all the time.
    The Brain scan that I had done to rule out MS and demyelineating disease came back negative. An incidental finding was a pineal cyst measureing 11mm in maximal diameter. Could this cyst be a result of trauma? Do these cysts increase in size? Are they dangerous? What is done about them?
    I also have been having daily headaches that tylenol does not help. Lying down is about the only way to make it go away. The doctor seems to think that I am having low pressure headaches because of a spinal fluid leak. He talked about injecting something into the lumbar spine to find out where the leak is. Once that is found he would use my blood to patch it. What is the test called to find the spinal cord leak. Is it painful. Does the blood patch work and is there any side effects from these procedures. Once done does it last the rest of your life?
    bdb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #2
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    BDB,

I don't know what type of test he would be referring to, but I do know that the blood patch works immediately if it is a spinal fluid leak.

I had one a few years ago after a spinal tap and after they injected a small amount of my blood into my spinal fluid, the headache was gone.

The only thing that helped the headache was to lie flat to equalize the fluid pressure.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 06-20-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
    bdb

bdb HB User
    PsychLea did the Lumbar puncture or the injection of your blood hurt when you had it done? Were you awake for it? I am terrified of needles being put anywhere near the spine.
    bdb

Old 06-21-2003, 07:15 AM   #4
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Hi bdb, Im not sure about a pineal cyst,but I have an arachnoid cyst in my posterior fossa. NS hasnt said much about it. But I was wondering, do they think your spinal fluid leak is caused by your cyst, or a neck problem? I too get terrible headaches, but I assumed that they are from my neck, because neck symptoms like numb arms etc... always occur at same time.The headaches are definately the worst part for me. Im getting a second opinion in July. I know they give blood patches for spinal leaks after myelograms, and never heard bad results. Good luck with your blood patch, hope it helps.
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 06-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #5
    bdb

bdb HB User
    Thank you for your reply Babs. The doctor did not say where he thinks the leak is. He did say that since I did have cervical surgery it is possible it could be in my neck. I'll know more I guess when I go back in a month and a half. For now I am to keep a record and lie down when I get the headache. This seems to be helping.
    Good luck with your second opinion.
    bdb

Closed Thread