It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C8 Radiculopathies? What is it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2003, 07:31 AM   #1
    bud8sgirl

bud8sgirl HB User
    Post C8 Radiculopathies? What is it?

Has any one had cervical spine surgery? 13 years ago, I had c4-5 and c5-6 fusion. 3 years ago I had c3-4 and c6-7 fusion. Yep.......4 levels of fusion. And now I have Carpel Tunnel in right hand.

The EMG ruled out my cervical spine causing symptoms. But it did reveal Moderated bilateral C8 Radiculopathies and the left asymptomatic. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2003, 09:01 AM   #2
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    hi,
    That is a tricky one becuase there is no c8!!! after c7 the thoraic area starts at T1. Check out the dermatones and see if you match up to the symptoms.

good luck
    Lori

laminectomy L4-5
    acdf c5-6-7 10/2002
    posterior cervical foraminotomy.laminectomy c6-7 6/4/03 spinal stenosis, spurs

[This message has been edited by LORIRAT (edited 06-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by LORIRAT (edited 06-17-2003).]

Old 06-17-2003, 10:35 PM   #3
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi bud8sgirl,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I wanted to Welcome you aboard...These guys are awesome and I'm sure someone will be along soon who can be more help...I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Take Care,
    Joanne

------------------
    • Sept63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
    • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
    • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
    • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Old 06-18-2003, 04:51 AM   #4
    Orchrid Man

Orchrid Man HB User
    Lightbulb

bud8sgirl,

See Mel's answer below

------------------
    ------------------
    Jim
    A friend with a face

C2-3, disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress
    C3-4, disc protrusion with bone spurs, neural foraminal narrowing.
    C4-5 large disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the cord, severe canal stenosis
    C5-6 disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the left cord, severe stenosis
    C6-7 disc protrusion with bone spurs but does not compress the cord, neural foraminal stenosis.
    C7-T1 is normal
    T2-3 disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress

Conclusion:
    Severe canal stenosis secondary to disc protrusion at C4-5 and C5-6 with mild cord volume loss at these levels.

-Surgery -NOT Advised waiting second opinion

[This message has been edited by Orchrid Man (edited 06-18-2003).]

C4-5 large disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the cord, severe canal stenosis
    C6-7 disc protrusion with bone spurs but does not compress the cord, neural foraminal stenosis.
    C7-T1 is normal

Conclusion:
    Severe canal stenosis secondary to disc protrusion at C4-5 and C5-6 with mild cord volume loss at these levels.

-Surgery Set for- 18 Sep 03-4 Level Lamin. with plating

Old 06-18-2003, 06:29 AM   #5
    magtize

magtize HB User
    WELCOME TO THE FAMILY i DON'T HAVE ANY ANSWERS FOR YOU JUST WANTED TO WELCOME YOU.I'M SURE SOMEONE WILL BE ALONG SOON TO HELP YOU OUT.
    e
    ELAINE

------------------
    car accident 72 S2 fused 76 Surgery 96 c5-6 fused
    aug pains in neck started with pain meds. had X-rays MRI Mylagram
    c2-3 c3-4 broadbase buldge c6-7 buldge.pinched nerve,arthritis,spinal stenosis.Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day apap/codeine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500 mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day Massages,PT,PM SO FAR NO RELIEFLost job as have been off work since Sept 02 3 good days since then
    c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.
    ACDF C 4-5 on 9-2-03 titaium plate 4 screws

Old 06-18-2003, 08:08 AM   #6
    Orchrid Man

Orchrid Man HB User
    magtize,

don't shout turn caps off please

C7-T1 is normal

Conclusion:

Old 06-18-2003, 11:35 AM   #7
    magtize

magtize HB User
    Hi Jim
    Was that message for me if it is I don't understand it. Please explain
    Thanks Elaine
    c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.

Old 06-18-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
    magtize

magtize HB User
    Hi Jim
    Was that post for me? If so I don't understand it http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif Could you please explain.
    Thanks
    Elaine
    oops sorry this is a double post am having problems
    today

[This message has been edited by magtize (edited 06-18-2003).]

Old 06-18-2003, 12:19 PM   #9
    Orchrid Man

Orchrid Man HB User
    For you

------------------
    ------------------
    Jim
    A friend with a face

C7-T1 is normal

Conclusion:

-Surgery -NOT Advised waiting second opinion

[This message has been edited by Orchrid Man (edited 06-19-2003).]

C7-T1 is normal

Conclusion:

Old 06-18-2003, 12:49 PM   #10
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Buds8girl,
    I hope I got that right. I just wanted to pop in and add my welcome. You will find this board filled with caring and supportive people. With the combined experiences and backgrounds here, i think you will find it to be very informative also.
    C8 can seem a little confusing, technically there are 7 bones inthe cervical spine, they are numbered C1-7. then there is the thoracic spine. C8 is the disc space between C7 and T1.
    C8 radiculopathy, can cause symptoms in the inner forearm nad the ringa nd pinkie finger primarily.The nerve itself can cause us to experience a wide variety of sensations, anywhere from burning, nubness, tingling,deep cramp like pain, to a sharp shooting type of pain.
    Have you had any other testing done, like MRI or CT scan, to identify to source of compression. Also what are your symptoms?
    I hope you find the board to be as great a place as i have. Once more welcome aboard, make yourself at home.
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    Mel

ps,Orchrid Man, I just wanted to say hello, keep seeing you on the othr board. Keep in touch.

------------------
    Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
    Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
    loss of lordotic curve
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 06-23-2003, 12:26 PM   #11
    bud8sgirl

bud8sgirl HB User
    Thumbs up

Thanks for all the great info and the awesom welcome. I realize that C-8 is the beginning of Thorasic. Some surgeons call one thing and others another.

I am preparing for Carpel Tunnel surgery in mid-July. Then need to deal with whatever this c-8 thing is.

Talk to ya'll soon

Dori

Closed Thread