It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Swollen Disk and CSF Flow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
    TwelveandCounting

TwelveandCounting HB User
    Question Swollen Disk and CSF Flow

Is is possible to have a slightly swollen disk in your neck that isn't causing any pain in the arm or neck and have it partially block or slow down (at times) the cereobrospinal fluid depending on the neck position?
    12+

[This message has been edited by TwelveandCounting (edited 06-26-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #2
    lifeonhold2003
    (female)

lifeonhold2003 HB User
    I have no idea, but you may have to do a little internet research to find out. Good Luck.
    Julie

4/23/03 - Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/Fusion C5/6 - donor bone with titanium plate, 4 screws, no collar post-op

Old 06-27-2003, 10:25 AM   #3
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hey 12+,
    I would need a little more info, but you could have a herniated or bulging disc that does not cause any pain. There are many people who have these on films but complain of no symptoms. It would depend on whether
    there was any nerves being compressed .
    As for the disc to cause a disruption in the CSF flow, this would be dependant on the width of your spinal canal and the amount that the dics intrudes into the canal. Also if there is room on the opposite side of the cord for fluid flow. If the disc compresses the cord, and the cord has no room around it, you could have altered and or obstructed CSF flow.
    I hope this gives you a little more info. More important than the actual pictures of the disc and spine,are the symptoms. Our bodies have the ability to adapt to changes, so what causes one person multi symptoms, may not cause any symptoms to another person, depending on the bodies ability to adapt and compensate.
    Welcome aboard, you have found a great site filled with supportive people. Between everyone's different experiences and diagnosis there is a wealth of information available.
    Make yourself at home, I hope you find the board to be as wonderful a place as I have. Mel

------------------
    Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
    Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
    loss of lordotic curve
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 06-27-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
    TwelveandCounting

TwelveandCounting HB User
    Thanks Melanie and Julie.
    The chiropractor only said mildly swollen, not herniated or protruding. I did have a spinal tap last month that didn't show any problems w/ the pressure or the fluid. I have no pain at all in my neck and if he
    is right this has been swollen for the last 9 months.
    I would think over that length of time I would have
    experienced some pain. I have had sciatica and whiplash before so I know how that would feel.
    Thanks for welcoming me on board.
    12+

Closed Thread