It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
    Sreynold
    (female)

Sreynold HB User
    Question ACDF surgery

Has anyone has acdf surgery on c5-c6 and c6-c7. Suppose to have it done feb 19 with Dr. Frank cammissa, jr at hospital for special surgery. Has anyone has a similar surgery or had surgery by frank cammissa for the cervical area ? I'm scared and hope I'm making the right decision. My nerve in left arm is getting bad and have weakness. Spasms are nasty and these occipital headaches are nasty with dizziness that just started.

Help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: ACDF surgery

Hey there "Sreynold".... Several on here has had an ACDF.... I had a combination of ACDF & Corpectomy done back in April '13. Levels were from C4 to T1. I had mine done in Louisville, Ky. so I can't help you out with the Dr.

Also please post your MRI results & such on here there are some really good people on here that can help you out with the explanations of it.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
    Sreynold
    (female)

Sreynold HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roadiez View Post
    Hey there "Sreynold".... Several on here has had an ACDF.... I had a combination of ACDF & Corpectomy done back in April '13. Levels were from C4 to T1. I had mine done in Louisville, Ky. so I can't help you out with the Dr.

Also please post your MRI results & such on here there are some really good people on here that can help you out with the explanations of it.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
    Sreynold
    (female)

Sreynold HB User

How are you feeling since the surgery? I understand my MRI results and have had Emg testing as well. Thanks for your help

Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Over all I am doing better. But over the last few days...About a week I am getting pretty severe migraines. I do think it's from the way I do position my head/neck at night.

A far as since the surgery. It has been better but I still have some symptoms I had prior to the operations.

But I knew that prior to the procedures that it may or may not improve.
    I was reading my post-op surgical notes today as well... It states that as well as a ACDF & a Corpectomy done. I also had what they call a "vertebrectomy". Which is the removal of the vertebral body also while doing the ACDF too.
    That was why I see the "Strut Graft & Harms cage with Kick plates"

Also make sure that you get CD's of all x-rays, MRI's, CT scans(Myelogams) et cetera.
    You might need them in the long run.

How did you find out that you needed the ACDF? Auto or work accident? Or like me.... Just a rough life of being in the military, auto mechanic & such.

Do get your PT details also. Know what you an & cannot do post-op & such. Do not drive too soon! A major No No!

Me. I did not get to do my PT because of losing my insurance coverage.... But did some research & did some "CyberPT".

*Just as a side note I keep my posts spaced so I can read easier.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
    Sreynold
    (female)

Sreynold HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roadiez View Post
    Over all I am doing better. But over the last few days...About a week I am getting pretty severe migraines. I do think it's from the way I do position my head/neck at night.

A far as since the surgery. It has been better but I still have some symptoms I had prior to the operations.

But I knew that prior to the procedures that it may or may not improve.
    I was reading my post-op surgical notes today as well... It states that as well as a ACDF & a Corpectomy done. I also had what they call a "vertebrectomy". Which is the removal of the vertebral body also while doing the ACDF too.
    That was why I see the "Strut Graft & Harms cage with Kick plates"

Also make sure that you get CD's of all x-rays, MRI's, CT scans(Myelogams) et cetera.
    You might need them in the long run.

How did you find out that you needed the ACDF? Auto or work accident? Or like me.... Just a rough life of being in the military, auto mechanic & such.

Do get your PT details also. Know what you an & cannot do post-op & such. Do not drive too soon! A major No No!

Me. I did not get to do my PT because of losing my insurance coverage.... But did some research & did some "CyberPT".

*Just as a side note I keep my posts spaced so I can read easier.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
    Sreynold
    (female)

Sreynold HB User

I had a car accident in 99 and someone hit me in the rear. At that time herniated c5-c6 with radiculopathy down the left arm and nerve damage.

I was young and kept going to chiropractors etc. After time pain got worse and herniated more discs from a fall etc. Pain continued on went to pt no relief and continued with chiropractor, massage , epdirual shots, and even trigger shots.

This past year got so severe. My neurologist who has known me for 20 years said its time again for surgical consultation. Had it in the past but wasn't that bad to warrant it. Every surgeon I went to suggested that the nerve could be damaged and not return and the strength in my left arm.

I'm crazy and keep every MRI, emg etc. Had a few lawsuits on the way as well my neuro thinks it times. I think I need it to preserve the nerve and arm. I know there are no guarantees but I try to be positive.

There is a class on after surgery and what to expect. I'm grateful that I have shoe term disabilty from work.

Then I second guess myself and say that I'm not bad. The mind plays tricks with you

I believe I picked the correct surgeon. I go back to the neuro on Monday for another follow up. Been getting baud occipital headaches and a bit dizZiness

Good luck on your recovery and thinking positive heals all and prayer works. Seen it in action with friends who have has double knee surgery and back surgery

Closed Thread

Tags
    acdf surgery