It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Failed Corpectomy---I'm TERRIFIED!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
    classicfairlane
    (female)

classicfairlane HB User
    Failed Corpectomy---I'm TERRIFIED!

2 years ago, I had a single-level cervical corpectomy. Prior to the surgery, I had major weakness & near paralysis in all 4 limbs. Post surgery, most of the symptoms.....the numbness & weakness got somewhat better. For the last 2 years, my arms & hands improved...there was still numbness in the last 2 fingers on each hand. I was walking much better, but still had marked heaviness in both legs & feet. My surgeon assured me that it would get better. Still unconvinced, I had new cervical x-rays done & visited my surgeon in January 2012. He again assured me that I was successfully fused. I visited a new ortho/neuro surgeon this week & showed him the 2012 same x-ray. In 2 seconds, he said that the plate was crooked & not touching the adjacent bones which was most likely causing the continued numbness & heaviness in my hands and legs. He was ticked that the original surgeon didn't see it LAST YEAR. He said that there is definitely compression somewhere. I'm scheduled for a cervical MRI next week.

If there is compression (he's confident that there is), will a corpectomy revision be the same or worse? Will it be anterior or posterior? Harder recovery? Minimally invasive options? Sorry for so many questions. I'm in major panic mode because I just started a new job a few months ago and don't want to jeopardize it. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Last edited by classicfairlane; 01-03-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Failed Corpectomy---I'm TERRIFIED!

I can't answer your corpectomy question, but I will say that when you have two docs disagreeing, you really need a third opinion...

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    classicfairlane (01-06-2014)
    Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Thinking about it further, I don't see how a posterior revision is possible, so I guess the answer to your question is that it will be anterior. I cannot think of any minimally invasive options. Let me know if I'm wrong on either count, and post your MRI results, if you feel like it. And get that third opinion (when you have the MRI results in hand)...

Oh, and why did you need a corpectomy in the first place? Something bad happen to that vertebra?

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-04-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
    classicfairlane
    (female)

classicfairlane HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    Thinking about it further, I don't see how a posterior revision is possible, so I guess the answer to your question is that it will be anterior. I cannot think of any minimally invasive options. Let me know if I'm wrong on either count, and post your MRI results, if you feel like it. And get that third opinion (when you have the MRI results in hand)...

Oh, and why did you need a corpectomy in the first place? Something bad happen to that vertebra?
    Thanks for responding! I'm scheduled for a cervical MRI on Jan.8.....I'll post the results. Im also going to schedule a consult with a third doc. To answer your question, I had to have the original corpectomy because of a hard fall at home. The vertebrae was weakened due to wear & tear. Also, I'm a former athlete (hurdler & jumper). Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
    classicfairlane
    (female)

classicfairlane HB User

Webdozer....I had the MRI on Jan.8. Now I am TERRFIED. See below & explain PLEASE!! I'm in tears......

FINDINGS:
    The patient appears to have undergone interval C5 corpectomy
    with interbody cage placement and C4-C6 anterior spinal fusion. There is
    mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis. Non surgical level
    vertebral body and disc space heights are normal. Spinal cord myelomalacia
    and atrophy are noted at the C5-C6 level. There is an element of
    congenital narrowing of the bony spinal canal.
    C2-C3: No significant disc bulge/herniation or stenosis.
    C3-C4: Small posterior central disc protrusion which indents the ventral
    spinal cord. No significant neural foraminal stenosis.
    C4-C5: Moderate broad hypertrophic endplate spurring which results in
    mild-moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis as well as flattening of
    the ventral spinal cord.
    C5-C6: Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis due to uncovertebral
    hypertrophy and facet arthrosis.
    C6-C7: Mild diffuse disc bulge/osteophyte complex creating mild left
    neural foraminal stenosis.
    C7-T1: No significant disc bulge/herniation or stenosis.
    IMPRESSION: Postsurgical changes, spinal cord myelomalacia/atrophy and
    spondylosis as above.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

The worst thing on there - that I recognize - is the myelomalacia at C5-6. My guess is that this damage was done before the corpectomy. Your symptoms were quite severe, and it would hardly be surprising if myelomalacia was involved.

Were this MRI mine, my priority would be to find out about the myelomalacia. Did it show on MRI's before the corpectomy? Is there anything to indicate that it may be getting worse? Is there anything I can do to keep it from getting worse?

Secondarily, I guess I'd want to follow up on the surgeon's belief that the hardware has slipped. The radiologist for your latest MRI says nothing about it, although that could be because it doesn't show as well in an MRI as in an x-ray.

Besides going back to the surgeon who ordered the MRI, I strongly suggest you see TWO other surgeons. You really need the best opinions you can get regarding the myelomalacia and also the possible hardware problem.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-11-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Closed Thread