It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Recently diagnosed w/scoliosis, degenerative arthritis, bulging discs,etc...need help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2003, 06:40 PM   #1
    GlitterFairy

GlitterFairy HB User
    Post Recently diagnosed w/scoliosis, degenerative arthritis, bulging discs,etc...need help

I was recently diagnosed w/ having scoliosis, flatback syndrome in my thoracic and slightly in my lumbar, degenerative arthritis of the vertebral joints, and bulging discs from L2-L5 & S1. And I am only 23! So what kind of impact will these problems have on me as I get older? I really have no clue about any of this stuff and am trying to get all the info I can on it.

My doc says nothing can be done besides managing the pain, and the pain will only get worse with time. If I already have the arthritis(which is already pretty bad according to the doc) then 10, 20 yrs down the road what is going to happen? Will I have to walk with a cane? And these bulging discs scare me, since he said that the arthritis and scoliosis and flatback will create more pressure on them. Plus he said the arthritis is causing extra bone to grow on the joints that will put more strain on the discs. I am already experiencing numbness, tingling, burning, weakness, slight loss of sensation, bladder incontinence,etc... I just want to know what I am facing here, what kind of future can I have? I work in a job where I have to lift stuff every day, and he said I shouldn't be lifting..But I like my job and just got a raise. And I am overweight but it hurts so much to exercise. I am just so depressed and worried. Any advice or info on any of this will be helpful. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2003, 04:57 AM   #2
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    <<My doc says nothing can be done besides managing the pain, and the pain will only get worse with time.>>

I would find another doc.

sue

------------------
    L5 fused early 80's for spondylolisthesis
    2 level acdf 6/2000
    repair torn labrum 7/2000
    shoulder impingement 5/2003
    results are in, the fusion never fully healed. =/
    revision and an overhaul surgery set for June 27th
    shoulder impingement 5/2003
    results are in, the fusion never fully healed. =/
    revision and an overhaul surgery set for June 27th

Old 06-23-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi GlitterFairy,

Sorry to be late in answering this...Just wanted to welcome you aboard...I agree with Sue...Please get another opinion...I know others will be along with more help so I will leave you in their expert hands...Again welcome

Take Care,
    Joanne

------------------
    • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
    • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
    • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
    • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Old 06-23-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
    Lisa7767

Lisa7767 HB User
    Welcome, and yes I agree as well I am suffering from the same minus the flat back and I go for surgery next week. Don't rely on just pain meds; that alone will present another problem. I would be getting another opinion.
    Lumbar scoliosis
    Laminectomy &
    Discetomy-June 30,2003

Old 06-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
    GlitterFairy

GlitterFairy HB User
    Well I am looking for a new doc, but it is going to be several months before I get in to see one. So still I have all those other questions unanswered. I want to know what kind of future I am facing here, physically. But thank you all for your replies.

Old 06-29-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    GF -

You are wise for one so young to get many opinions on your situation. How far is Greenville from Nashville? I was thinking you might want to call the Neurosurgery dept. at Vandy and see if they have someone who can help.

There is also a Doctor in Pittsburgh named Dr. Jho who has pioneers some minmally invasive surgical techiques. You might want to search for him on the web. From what I understand, he will review MRIs and give an opinion at no cost. As a matter of fact, I have just sent an e-mail request to his office manager to request permission to send my MRIs to him. I have lumbar and cervical problems myself.

I am so sorry to see someone so young dealing with back problems. I hope that you find a solution to your situation. One other thing, there are new procedures coming out these days dealing with ADR (artificial disc replacement) that are very new and might be worth your research time.

jdog

Old 06-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
    ajfinsand

GF,

Do you know what kind of scoloactic curve you have and what degree the curve is? Did this doctor prescribe any kind of anti-inflamatory meds for the degenerative arthritis?

I am much older than you, but have had scoliosis since I was young, and developed degenerative disc disease about 7 years ago. I did not have surgery for mine until just a couple of years ago because mine did not really bother me in spite of my large curve.

When I did have a bad pain flare up in the years before my surgery and the pain meds weren't helping, I tried acupuncture and it worked great for me. My primary care doc does the acupuncture so I had a lot of confidence in him.

You might also want to start taking some nutritional supplements that support joint health, like MSM and glucosamine and chondroitin complex. They can help slow down the pregression and sometimes even repair damaged cartilegs over time.

I would think that at your age, surgery would be much less difficult to deal with than at my age. Not saying that surgery is always the answer, but if you are in constant pain now, it may be a viable option. Try to get an appoint with an orthopedic doctor who specializes in spinal deformities.

love and prayers,

aj in Oregon

------------------
    ~ 48 year old female; currently self-employed as an artist/designer/woodcrafter.
    ~ Previously worked in the restaurant biz for 27 years (not so good for someone with a bad back!)
    ~ Hereditary and congenital scoliosis, but it never caused any problems until I was 40+ years old.
    ~ 76 degree curvature had increased 2 degrees in two years 1999-2001; indicating surgery was necessary.
    ~ Surgery in March of 2001.
    ~ Fusion and insturmentation of C7 - T9.
    ~ Fourth rib removed; 5th and 6th rib cut back halfway; removed ribs were morselized and used for the grafting, plus additional bone harvested from hip.
    ~ After tthe hardware was attached, spine was straigntened 20+ degrees.
    ~ 2 weeks in the hospital.
    ~ Brace worn for five months. Bone growth stimulator device also worn several hours per day.
    ~ PT 5 mos. after surgery caused increased pain.
    ~ Follow-up surgery to remove hardware scheduled for Feb. 2002.
    ~ Round 2 of PT 2 mos. after hardware removal.
    ~ Medically released to return to full activity in July 2002.
    ~ Increased pain upon returning to regular work schedule.
    ~ Round 3 of PT in April/May 2003; continually increasing pain.

Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 PM   #8
    csunshineq
    (female)

csunshineq HB User
    Glitter,
    your post sounds so much like me it is scary.
    I am 26, I have scolosis, Degenative Disk Disorder, and several herniated, bulging and or ruptured disc. I ask myself about the future everyday. Like you I am also overwieght. The doctors I have seen say that I need my spine fused..the whole thing from neck to tailbone, however, because my scolosis has rotated in a certain way they feel that I may end up with loss of function...there nice way of saying they might screw up my spinal cord when doing the operation. SO I have done nothing.
    I first ruptured a disc in my lower back right before the 9/11 attacks I had to take a week off of work, but managed to go back. A year later I re injured the same disc and did not get to go back. Now I have B.S. Degree in Psychology, and cant find a job. I am only 26. My husband has been great through all this, but it still is depressing.

While you are waiting to see a new doc, MAKE the doctor you are seeing now send you to Physical THerapy for the Pain. The PT I saw did more to help me than anything else, I have since had to move but I use to go to the pool and just walk..and do some exercises they showed me to do it helped a great deal with the pain.

If you would like to email me feel free [email protected]

Closed Thread