It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Workers Comp and my surgeon....what a pair they make!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2003, 05:27 PM   #1
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Post Workers Comp and my surgeon....what a pair they make!

Hello All,
    I wanted to give everyone an update from my workers comp claims examiner. He called my surgeon today and like my doctor told me, he also told the examiner that I was 100% ready for work with no restrictions. How can a doctor say that when it's not true? My family doctor said I needed to be off for at least 4 to 6 weeks longer.That I needed time to heal and hopefully the gastro doctor will have my throat repaired my then. (I'm scheduled for a EGD wednesday, I sure hope he can help me swallow.) My family doctor wrote me an excuse from work and the claims examiner said .... and I quote..." I'm not concerned with anything your family doctor says". I thought a M.D. was a M.D.but I guess I was wrong. I went ahead and hired a lawyer this afternoon because workers comp is stressing me out to the point I can't stand it. My lawyer said your family doctor can't excuse you from work, only my surgeon or another neurosurgeon. That seems crazy to me but that's what he said. So, I'm going to work the morning of the 8th, hurting, swollen and confused but making workers comp happy.

I'm sorry to vent but I had to tell someone. I'm amazed how you can be treated and you apparently don't have any recourse. Thanks for listening.
    Harvey

------------------
    Three Level C 4-5,5-6,6-7...Fusion, Grafts and plating.Bone Growth Stimulator worn all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
    ladyblue

ladyblue HB User
    Firefighter,

Hope you got to hear some good advice from Mr. Mickel. Did you call him? I am amazed that you are going to work. Its really sad that w/c makes us go thru this type of stress when we least need it. I have two weeks to wait until my face off with my NS. He dont know it yet, but he is SO fired. Now even more so than he was last week since I find out he did some stuff in there and didnt bother to tell me or anyone about it. But he is gonna anwswer question first.

I know you are frustrated big time and I know you are still hurting. Be patient and be kind to your self. Do something nice for your soul this week.

Lisa

Old 06-30-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Hello ladyblue,
    Yes, I called him and I think he'll be able to help me. Thank you for telling me about him.

Who did your surgery? I sure hope it wasn't the same guy or he's going to be busy answering questions. lol

How are you doing? I don't see you on the board much. Well, take care, it's getting close to my bedtime. Have a great night.
    Harvey

------------------
    Three Level C 4-5,5-6,6-7...Fusion, Grafts and plating.Bone Growth Stimulator worn all the time.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:21 PM   #4
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    Holy Cow Firefighter! That is absolutely insane. I hope you get things worked out and don't injure yourself while under the care of those clowns. Doesn't anyone care about the patient anymore? Can't your family doc take over your treatment once comp releases you? As far as I know, your family doc should have the power to disable you. You'd just go on disability instead of comp. Just a thought.

Good luck and try not to hurt yourself! Hopefully there are some sedentary duties you can assume until you get this straightened out.

Keep us posted. I'm very interested in your story. I'm very interested in Lady Blue's story too. You're right, we haven't heard much from her lately and after reading the "Paul Harvey" on her story....

Anyways, take charge of your healthcare and good luck to you.

DebbieMc

Herniated discs at C4-5 & C5-6
    Spinal Cord compressed 5mm at C4-5, 7mm at C5-6 due to Spondylosis
    ACDF with Hardware at both levels on 07/01/03

Old 06-30-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Hello DebbieMc,
    I'll keep you posted. I really just want to laugh at how crazy it is. I'm hoping the new lawyer can get things straightened out for me.

What are you doing up so late. You've got a big day tomorrow! Everything will be fine with your surgery, I just know you'll do great. I'll be thinking about ya and let me do the worrying for you, you just focus on recovery. Good Luck!

Harvey

------------------

Old 06-30-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    What am I doing up so late? Please! Like I can sleep...besides, I just got kicked out of the bed for tossing and turning and tapping my fingers and feet and sighing and just being a nuisance in general. Yup, just 9 and a half hours to go now. I can't eat or drink anything now because it's past midnight....ok, I'm a wreck. I admit. I'm going to go get horizontal in front of a TV now...maybe that will work. It distracts me.

ok, off I go....

Herniated discs at C4-5 & C5-6
    Spinal Cord compressed 5mm at C4-5, 7mm at C5-6 due to Spondylosis
    ACDF with Hardware at both levels on 07/01/03

Old 07-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #7
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Angry

I am in a similar situation! My n/s is holding back the docuementation I need for disability. I got a call yesterday from n/s office. They say I owe for the surgery! Yep, sd my n/s is not in the "network" so it was not covered! BS! They new I changed my ins carrier when I went for conult! Three days b4 surgery they called and sd can't do surgery, n/s not in network. Myself and n/s called ins co and got an authorization to do it! (because he did my prev surgery in 1999 and this was an emergency deal) So my n/s called and sd we are on! Now that I am done with him they are threatening me with payment! It seems like he does not want to deal with this disability mess, too much of his time... I have contacted a lawyer and waiting for return call.My dis "provider" is cutting me off unless I get the update from n/s, which now I'm sure he will hurt any chance for benefits. What a mess. Good luck to you!! If you find a good lawyer who wants more business let me know! Fusion C5-6-7 march 18, 2003 herniated disc removed 1999, L3-5 bulging and arhrosis, degenerative discs, L3-5, C3-7, annual tear L3 cj

Old 07-01-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Angry

I am in a similar situation! My n/s is holding back the docuementation I need for disability. I got a call yesterday from n/s office. They say I owe for the surgery! Yep, sd my n/s is not in the "network" so it was not covered! BS! They new I changed my ins carrier when I went for conult! Three days b4 surgery they called and sd can't do surgery, n/s not in network. Myself and n/s called ins co and got an authorization to do it! (because he did my prev surgery in 1999 and this was an emergency deal) So my n/s called and sd we are on! Now that I am done with him they are threatening me with payment! It seems like he does not want to deal with this disability mess, too much of his time... I have contacted a lawyer and waiting for return call.My dis "provider" is cutting me off unless I get the update from n/s, which now I'm sure he will hurt any chance for benefits. What a mess. Good luck to you!! If you find a good lawyer who wants more business let me know! Fusion C5-6-7 march 18, 2003 herniated disc removed 1999, L3-5 bulging and arhrosis, degenerative discs, L3-5, C3-7, annual tear L3 cj

Old 07-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #9
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    cardinal,

I'm not much on lawyers. I've had one maybe 3 times in my life but this time I know I don't stand a chance without one. I honestly don't think my chances are good with one the way it looks. If my NS can dictate my life by just saying I'm 100% then a lawyer
    will have a hard time it seems like. I've never had any dealings with workers comp or a neurosurgeon that has a problem with telling the truth but I'm prepared to wade in.... neck deep for what's right. I have never beat anyone out of anything and I'm surely not trying to pull anything now but that's how the surgeon and workers comp make me feel..like I'm trying to cheat them. I wished there was someway I could have the doctor put on a lie detector... along with me... that way he would be exposed. Your right about your NS not wanting to fight because I feel somewhat the same way, he's made his money from the surgery.....all he wants is to cut you loose and go to the next case... that's how I feel.
    I wouldn't wait to seek legal advise cardinal.... good luck,
    Harvey

------------------

Old 07-01-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
    ladyblue

ladyblue HB User
    Firefighter,

I talked with Mr. Mikel today myself about some issues and he thanked me for guiding you to him. You have a mess on your hands as I do with w/comp. It is so rediculous. Like we CHOSE to go see Jack the Ripper and have our throats slashed and our bones removed and rearranged and fused and in your case hardware put in. Give me a break. I am so frustrated at the whole mess I am a nervous wreck. I have trouble sleeping thinking about all of this. Mikel is going to try to arrange for me to see another doctor who is very conservative in his evaluations and is not known for releasing folks before he has totally determined that you are gonna make it. I am aggrivated because I have still got throat trouble and the research I have done indicates that I have a paralized vocal cord which is why my voice is virtually gone and why I have trouble with choking when I drink and my NS wont address this. I have to have some input from a doctor on this for goodness sake and all I get is nothing. I dont even know which way to turn really on most days. But tomorrow is another day my dear and so we carry on.

I once asked God why me Lord? The answer I got was "why not?" That kinda puts it into perspective I guess. Could be worse but stubborn gals like me dont like to be held down and this has really clipped my wings big time.

Dont dispair, it will pass,

Lisa

Old 07-01-2003, 07:09 PM   #11
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Hello ladyblue,

It sounds like you need a ENT. Who did your surgery at Baptist? I hope Mr.Mikel will be able to help but I have a feeling I need to bend over...... I'm pretty sure what workers comp has in store for me!

One of my good friends works for a large NS group and she is shocked that my NS released me to return to work. None of her doctors will even take a WC case nor will they do a second opinion. She said workers comp is just too hard to deal with, otherwise I would schedule an appointment with them. I get to pay for the last doctor I went too anyway.... plus the 4 PT trips.lol... I sometimes wonder how I can get so lucky!

I better run. I'm having my scope done in the morning so I better get busy.

Harvey

------------------

Old 07-03-2003, 09:10 AM   #12
    SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
    Firefighter
    It is too soon for you to go back to work. My friend only had a one level done on her neck and she works in a factory with heavy lifting and she was not released to go back to work for 3 months and was put on light duty when she returned. I had surgury in March and I am not working but just moved to another town, husbands job relocated and I am hurting with arm and back pain just unloading boxes and trying to put things away. I did no lifting or moving just packing and unpacking and I can barley manage that. I can not see you doing your kind of work yet. I hope all works out with you and the lawyer. Was you doctor a comp doctor? Sounds like he might be. Comp doctors are not concerned for the patient, they work for comp and they are only concern do what comp wants them to do and ususally say your 100% when your not. Sad they do that....

------------------
    Sher
    Anterior Cervical Fusion w/donor bone & w/plating C5/6 Done March 6-2003

Old 07-03-2003, 12:16 PM   #13
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Hello SherryElaine,

Yes, my NS does many cases a year for workers comp but I have to be honest... they didn't pick him, I did because he's one of the best in the state...but...I didn't know at the time he was so "close" with workers comp. Your right it's to soon but I don't have a choice in the matter... unless I want to quit and loose my retirement,(I'm not going to do that.)I'm hoping I can go to work and stay healthy and not re-injure my neck. That's all I can do at this point. I'd really like to walk in the NS's office, pull down his pants, ( he's a really little guy ) bend him over my knee and spank his &^^(*... I mean bottom. .... because he's acting like a child and I'm thinking I'd love to treated him like one. lol I can't do that but it's sure is a funny thought.

I hope your through with the unpacking. You know you should be taking it easy. Whatever you do, don't hurt yourself. I know it's hard not to jump up and start grabbing boxes but if your back in the hospital, you wouldn't be any help.

Take care,
    Harvey

------------------

Closed Thread