It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Radiculopathy vs ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
    Freyma
    (female)

Freyma HB User
    Cervical Radiculopathy vs ...

My neck has bothered me for years (44 y/o Female office worker) and recently i developed numbness in arm, hand and fingers on 12/16. I thought I was having symptoms of a heart attack, so went to ER. After many blood tests, EKG, stress test and chest X-ray, they said nothing was wrong and sent me home. Couldn't use my hand, but okay, fine, I'll go home.

Went back 3 days later because I still couldn't use my hand intermittently, so new doc decided that they ruled out heart issues on previous visit, so let's look at neck. 2 CT scans showed I had pinched nerves and was discharged to go see chiropractor. I've been seeing my chiropractor since then and having her treat me based on that diagnosis.

Today I got a CD of my CT scans from the hospital ER trip on the 19th and took them along with the imaging notes to my chiropractor. Those notes list all kinds of scary sounding things and she altered treatment today based on them and said we would talk more on Monday after she had a chance to review the CD (I left it with her). I trust her 100% to do whatever she can to help me heal, but wondered about the difference between what the ER discharged me with (pinched nerves) vs the below:

"Findings: No perched or locked facets. Alignment within normal limits. No fracture deformities. No suspicious lyric or osteosclerotic lesions. Disc spaces are normal in height. Para vertebral soft tissues are within normal limits.

Individual levels: There is bilateral facet arthropathy at C3-4. The central canal and neural foramina are patent.

C4-5: Bilateral facet arthropathy. There is left foraminal stenosis.

Impression: Cervical spondylosis. Left foraminal stenosis. No acute abnormalities."

Thoughts anyone? PT, stretching, chiropractor, bio freeze, massage and Tylenol all seem to be in my future...hoping to stay away from surgery. Wondering if anyone has similar experience to share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Cervical Radiculopathy vs ....

I really don't see what a chiropractor could do for you, other than harm.

As for your symptoms, what side were they on, and what fingers were/are affected?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
    Freyma
    (female)

Freyma HB User
    Re: Cervical Radiculopathy vs ...

I've had neck discomfort since the birth of our first child 7 years ago. I've managed and functioned very well with just monthly massages and adjustments, coupled with daily stretching. I sit at a desk and use 2 monitors for 9+ hours a day, so I know a lot of my discomfort these past several years has been self-inflicted.

On 12/16, while driving to work, my left arm started going numb and it felt like someone was pouring cold water through it. All my fingers in my left arm were/are affected except for my thumb. I can type with the hand, but it is too numb and weak to hold anything over a few pounds and I tend to drop things now. Since I am left-handed, this is decidedly inconvenient.

The pain in my neck right now is not intolerable, but is now chronic instead of sporadic. My range of motion is limited and it hurts when I yawn. I have had a sleep number bed and a pillow with the cervical cut out for about 5 years and both of those are truly wonderful to mitigate painful, restless nights.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Cervical Radiculopathy vs ...

The symptoms in your hand would seem to be consistent with C7 and C8 radiculopathy, that is, those nerves are being pinched as they leave the spinal cord. However, the radiologist says nothing at all about the C6-7 and C7-T1 levels of your spine having abnormalities.

If your spinal cord were being impinged upon at a higher level (even as high as C3-4), you could also have such symptoms in your arm/hand. If the symptoms are only in the forearms and hands, then it's possible that nerves have been entrapped in the elbow... although you should notice differences when you bend the elbow.

I dunno... your symptoms are pretty common, but they correlate to spinal problems that the radiologist seems to think you don't have.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Freyma (01-11-2014)
    Closed Thread