It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 4th Day Post-op was the worst day of my life...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    Post 4th Day Post-op was the worst day of my life...

Oh my God...I cried like a baby all day long! My NS's nurse warned me that the 3rd day post-op would be a bear because all the anesthesia would wear off by then and be out of my system, but for me, it was day 4. I've also read a lot of posts about the 3rd day being the worst. But I thought day 4 would never end. They gave me so many drugs to take home that I actually had to keep a chart of what I took when, but none of it was enough! I finally said screw it! I took 2 5mg Valium and 2 2mg Dilaudids last night so I could sleep. Then, everytime I woke up last night, which was every 3 hours, I took 2 more of both. I made it through the night My doctor might not be too happy with me, but I am. The valium is prescribed every 8 hours and the dilaudid every 6...that's not nearly enough! This morning when I woke up, I switched to 800mg Ibuprofen and Robaxin and I'm doing just fine. I actually feel ok today. I guess I just needed to take the bull by the horns and show this pain who the boss is. I had the power, I have all these drugs here so why should I suffer? Tomorrow, I'm calling my doc so we can have a long talk about pain control. I don't want to be an addict, but I'm not going to suffer if I don't have too, especially when I have a whole pharmacy at my disposal! Sheez, I have about 6 different pain killers and muscle relaxers here. Hopefully the worse is behind me now and we won't have to go through that again. And let me tell you, getting this freaking collar off my neck helps a lot too! Honestly, I don't know how you menfolk can stand wearing ties or having shirts buttoned up to your throat...it makes me feel like I'm suffocating!

OK, thanks for letting me rant. I feel better now and today is a new day. I don't think I'll need to take as many drugs today since the 800mg Ibuprofens seem to be doing the trick today along with the Robaxin (which I think is a very mild muscle relaxer.)

DebbieMc - 5 days post-op

Herniated discs at C4-5 & C5-6
    Spinal Cord compressed 5mm at C4-5, 7mm at C5-6 due to Spondylosis
    ACDF with Hardware at both levels on 07/01/03

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Hang in there dear,
    It is a rough ride and you do what you have to. Just be careful with the meds. Definately call the Dr tommorow I know I am calling mine. We are here for ya
    Ginny

------------------
    "The only thing neccessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"

ACF June 18, 2003 C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 with bone donor and hardware

Old 07-06-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    I know what you are saying.I'm haveing bad pain where I never had pain before. My Meds wear off after 2 hrs. I'm afraid to take more..Hopefully in a couple of days we will feel better.I can't type very long..
    gsouth

Old 07-06-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
    rollercoasterfan

rollercoasterfan HB User
    Hi DebbieMc,

I have been lurking but not posting a lot. I have to agree with today being a very rough day and I am on day four. I have been trying to sleep as much as possible and just keep trying to get through the day. I am finding myself taking more meds than usual but I trying to not over do it.

How is your swelling? I am all swollen up like a bull frog still and was wondering if anyone can tell me when that will start going down. I think I may post that as a seperate question.

We can do this.....try to take a little walk around your home or do some neck exercises to keep things from becoming too stiff.

Good luck and pleaseknow...I am suffering with you. Darn nerves....I didn't know I had so many in my whole body. If it doesn't ache, it burns, if it doesn't burn it just hurts.

God bless....gentle hugs coming your way.

HUgs,
    Suzie

------------------
    ACDF 6-7 june 1998
    Surgery July 2, 2003

Old 07-06-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
    Catherine with a C
    Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
    Thumbs up

Hey Debbie!!!!!

sorry to hear about the 4th day!!
    From what I can remember~~~~~~my worst was day 4~~day9~~~day 21 through to day45 or so!! I may not have the exact days right; but, you get my point I hope!! Hang tough my friend!!

Please know, & I stress Please know that you are not alone & we are here!!
    You are no doubt growing weary of hearing this~~~~(& possibly tired of repeating the mantra to yourself!)
    But~~~~~~This too shall pass!! & not like a kidney-stone!!

Stay Blessed!
    Catherine

Old 07-06-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Debbie,

Hang in there. The trick is to get on top of the pain before it is out of control. I took my pain meds, etc religiously.

Once the pain was out of control, it was difficult to get some relief. If you are in that much pain, then you are right, call your NS tomorrow and have a little chat. My NS was very good about giving me pain meds, even at 9 weeks postop, I still have access to meds. It will get better.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 07-06-2003, 08:26 PM   #7
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    lol Catherine...thank God it's not going to pass like a kidney stone!

Suzie, I recall reading that your throat swelled up visibly like a bullfrog. All my swelling is internal. But, once again I must say, what a difference a day makes! I feel great today! My throat is barely even sore. As a matter of fact, I just got back from having that steak dinner my doctor warned me not to have in the first few days and I almost ate all of it! I was starving! First decent meal I've had in a week...I mean pudding is good and all, but not like a steak dinner!

Hang in there Suzie dear, I think I may have been blessed with a very good doctor. I'm actually amazed at how good I feel today compared to being in tears ALL DAY yesterday. As far as taking more meds go, I'm all for it. Why suffer? Especially if you don't have those evil nurses stalling and giving you your meds every 4 and a half hours when you were supposed to get them at 4 and actually needed more at two or three hours! I took what I needed last night and haven't taken much more than Ibuprofen today. So no guilt here. You take what you need to take to be comfortable (or at least knock yourself out) but don't overdose!

You know what amazes me? My doc gave me Dilaudid which is supposedly stronger than morphine. They don't do a thing for me. Vicoprofen does it for me and all that is is Vicoden with an Ibuprofen base instead of a Tylenol base. They really aren't that strong but they work for me better than any other pain pill I've ever taken and I intend to call the doc first thing in the morning to trade the Dilaudid in for Vicoprofen. Weird huh?

Try putting ice on your chest. I have an ice bag necklace Put it on the swelling and see if it helps. A few days ago my entire body would shudder just trying to swallow because it was so painful. I couldn't even drink anything. I'd just let pieces of ice melt on my tongue and let it trickle down my throat so I wouldn't have to swallow! But today, I'd say aside from a little puffiness around the incision, all my swelling is gone now. But like I said earlier, I had an excellent surgeon. One of the best. Voted as the best doctor in the entire hospital by his colleages. I was lucky. I'm not saying your doctor isn't good, but I think our situations were a little different and yours was worse than mine. But trust me, being exactly one day ahead of you with the recovery, a day can make all the difference. Tomorrow might find you feeling a hundred percent better. There have been 2 days when all I did was cry like a baby and the very next day, both times, I felt soooo much better.

Hang in there Dear and know we are all rooting for you. And thanks to everyone who is

Now, I just wonder what happend to Wilba. She's so much older than us and we haven't heard from Niki in days. I hope she's ok.

Keep us posted Suzie...I'm sending positive energy your way...and the strength to recover along with it. I wish I could take your pain away.

DebbieMc

Old 07-06-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    gsouth, the same goes for you. I'm no doctor or nurse but if you hurt you hurt. Take the meds but just be careful not to overdose. A doctor once told me that. It was after I had the first of 3 ankle surgeries. I called and told him the pain pill wasn't working, it was wearing off in two hours and I was hurting for the next two before I could take another. He asked me "so why don't you take two?" I'm like duh! OK! lol. Just be careful and like I told Suzie, a day can make a world of difference. When was your surgery gsouth?

I remember when I first posted on this board and I said I couldn't wait to be on the other side offering others words of encouragement...well I'm there now. And it feels good! And you will be soon. Hang in there and know we all want a speedy recovery for you. Sometimes you just need to know someone cares and understands your pain...well, we do. We all do. Good luck and post any time you need the strength of others. Because believe me, we all feel your pain since most of us have been there or are there now. Who knows, tomorrow I might be the one suffering again and you're going to be helping me through it.

Hang in there girlfriend...you'll make it through with a little help from your friends

DebbieMc

Old 07-07-2003, 07:18 PM   #9
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    Hi DebbiMc
    My surgery was June 30 one week today.I had anterior Disectomy c5-6, c6-7 with plating and hardware....Today was my worse day I've ever had..I have been taking pain pills as directed and my muscle relaxer..I've been thinking about taking an extra muscle relaxer..I usually take 3 in 24 hours. How long will the bad pain last?I know it's different for everyone.
    gsouth

Old 07-07-2003, 09:02 PM   #10
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    gsouth, I wish I knew. One day is good for me, the next day is bad. I guess all we can do is wait it out and see. But in all honesty, I don't think 3 muscle relaxers in 24 hours is much at all. Take more until you feel good! Call your doctor first though. Me, I've been taking pain killers for years so it doesn't bother me a bit to take more than what's prescribed. I might take extra tonight, and none tomorrow. Talk to your doctor though. And...just in case you're female...I think we might be able to get Firefighter to send us some of those young hunks in uniform over to make us feel better

Old 07-08-2003, 05:22 AM   #11
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi all,
    I just wanted to pop in and say I feel guilty taking so much pain meds and I haven't had surgery yet. I find when I try to limit the meds I get worse later and need twice the dose! Pain is so individual and I experienced nurses being very slow with mediactions when I had a discogram. I am having surgery in a few weeks and may take my own meds in also.
    Debbie,
    Thst is interesting that it way Day 4 when you had the most pain. I will make sure I take a water pistol to keep the nurses in line if I can even use that!

Mel

Closed Thread