It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Midge - your story touched my heart...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2003, 11:42 AM   #1
    TropicalFox
    (female)

TropicalFox HB User
    Post Midge - your story touched my heart...

Midge...

This story has touched my heart in a way that's hard to describe... I'm in tears right now because it brought to mind an incident in my life that was very difficult to deal with...

On a beautiful Sunday in Puerto Rico (January 30th to be exact, 1994), most of our family went on a picnic/outing to an isolated beach where my husband used to fish off some huge rocks that jutted out into the ocean. We had always wanted to go there as a family but sometimes work gets in the way of the best plans, so we finally decided to just do it... Raymond and I decided to not open our workshop that day but he invited one of the boys we had as an apprentice, barely 18 years old. We picked him up at 7:30 am and the last words he spoke to the boy's mother were "don't worry, I'll take care of him and bring him home safe and sound". He took his gear and fishing stuff with him and told the boy he could borrow ours since he didn't have any. That day the plan was to build a fire, put on a big pot of salted water and wait for the guys to bring over the lobsters they were out to catch. Raymond's sister, brother, pregnant sister-in-law, a few close buddies, myself and our son (10 years old) were there talking, reading the newspaper, sunbathing, etc., just anticipating the delicious meal we would have. No alcohol consumed, everyone completely sane and sober, just having a great time. At about 10 am, all of a sudden, someone rushes out of the water screaming to us that the boy with us was drowning. Just before he came up, I felt alarmed and looked up to see where the 3 guys were (husband, brother-in-law, and young boy). I felt that something had happened and it was confirmed when that person reached us screaming. We looked out to where they were supposed to be and they weren't there. Since we were 45 minutes walking distance away from the "real" beach area, the person who told us about what was going on said he would run back to the beach area and get the police. Just after he left, my brother-in-law was helped out of the water sobbing and screaming that his brother had drowned. It wasn't the young boy in trouble, it was my husband! He explained to us that he had seen the young boy in trouble and had called over to my husband to go over with him to help him out. Before reaching the boy, my brother-in-law (6'1", 210 lbs.) started drowning and my husband (5'7", 155 lbs.) struggled to get him safely to shore... when he got him there, he told him that he was going back for the boy because he promised his mom that he'd take care of him. Raymond went back for him and was able to drag him to the foot of the huge rock and told him to hang onto it until more help arrived. He started back to shore to get help and did not make it because of a strong undercurrent. He fought against it so hard that he had a massive heart attack. My husband died right before our eyes... 33 years old, strong as a bull, a fish in water who loved the ocean with such a passion that he died in it. He gave his life to save his brother and the young boy he promised to take care of and return to his mom. I became a widow at 43 with a 10 year old boy, a daughter at home who had given birth a month prior to this devastating blow... and I had only $7 in my wallet... but I never lost faith - then and in all the years to come - because I knew that God has a special corner in his heart for widows and orphans... I knew He would take care of us, and He did.

For Mother's day, a few months before he died, my husband and daughter combined efforts to buy me a computer. I had no training in how to use it but that didn't stop me from learning on my own. I had no idea how important this computer would be for us after my husband's death!

Monday afternoon I left the funeral parlor so I could shower and head right back. I stood at the iron grill gate at my front door with my arms dangling out, just leaning there a minute to catch my breath. I asked God to show me how I was going to provide for my family now, at the age of 43 and not having worked outside my home for 15 years... in my heart I heard that he would show me how and that I had nothing to worry about. My house in PR is on a corner lot, and as I gazed out toward the corner I saw an older gentleman with a piece of paper in his hands, looking around at the houses. When he looked toward my house he saw my arms there and he turned the corner and walked up to my porch. He looked at me straight in the eyes and said "Miss, I KNOW you can do this letter for me, right? I just KNOW you can!" At that precise moment, I KNEW what I was going to do to support my family... I was going to use my computer!
    With tears in my eyes I told the gentleman yes, that I would type out and print his letter for him... and I thanked God for showing me the way, once more.

There were many times when it was very close for us moneywise, but it would always come in just in time. I started my home business with just the spirit of God in me, and He never let us down.

I did translations, word processing, and desk top publishing on a computer that I never imagined learning how to use at the age of 42, and never imagining how important it would be for me at the age of 43. My husband was 10 years my junior, and we were still together despite the fact that our divorce was imminent. I loved him but could not live with him anymore... he had been clean and sober for 2 years but was slipping fast and I could not go back to the life we had while he was drinking. Al-anon and CoDA had me on a straight course and gave me the strength to deal with this decision - thank God for these groups! I knew Raymond would not be around in a few months, but I never imagined that it would be permanent!

Raymond and I worked hard in our business and 2 days before he died we were able to get all our debts paid up to date, but there was nothing left over except for the $7. God moves in mysterious ways and my life is proof of it. Had I not gotten the computer for Mother's Day... had we not paid up our bills 2 days before... only God knows how our lives would have been affected. It was a struggle after his death, but at the same time I can say it was the most peaceful, spiritual time of my life... but when the winds of change blew my way, I left my beautiful island with my son, and married my King David almost 5 years later - 1 Samuel 25 is what my life was like, and how my life was changed... the story of Abigail is the story of Sandra.

Sorry Midge, I know I've written a lot... but I had to tell you how much your story affected me because despite many people thinking that it's just a story, my sharing with you proves that these things DO happen in real life.

hugs girl, and God bless!

sandra

------------------
    " In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
    Author Unknown

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Amen Sandra
    Ginny

------------------
    "The only thing neccessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"

ACF June 18, 2003 C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 with bone donor and hardware

Old 07-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Sandra,
    I have not read Midge's story... yet. but I have to tell you how sorry I am for your tragic loss and all the sorrowful memories you have to live with. You were fortunate to be able to find the strength of will and character to see you through this most difficult time.

This is truly one of the times I wish they had a http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bigcry.gif "smilie"...
    wr

Old 07-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
    Midge130

Midge130 HB User
    Arrow

Oh Sandra, I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. And how terrible it must have been to 'see' it. What a frightening experience. And yes, God does work in mysterious ways, for he is AWESOME. I'm glad that you 2 worked thru your problems and you persisted and he won the battle of the bottle. And now, how marvelous it is that you have remarried!!

Thank you for sharing your story with me, you have also touched my heart!!

I pray that you are having a wonderful day!

Midge
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!

Closed Thread