It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• post ACDF C6-7 concerns

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
    tetons

tetons HB User
    Post post ACDF C6-7 concerns

I am post 17 days now after ACDF C6-7 with allograft and titanium plate. Was doing better and then on day 15, started having increased pain in left shoulder, upper scapula pain, neck pain on left side up to ear.
    Radiating pain between shoulder to elbow or elbow to hand. Still very weak left arm and can't hold a magazine or newspaper very long without extreme pain. Watching lots of movies and walking 2-4 times a day 30-60 minutes each time. Had ACDF C6-7 for herniation with more compression and spinal cord involvement than was seen on MRI. NS was surprised by how much compression there was. She said dura bounced right back though.
    Are my symptoms to be expected? Is it just muscle spasms and how long should I wait before being very concerned? How long will this last?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
    TropicalFox
    (female)

TropicalFox HB User
    Wink

hi there...

i had my surgery 3/28/03 and still have sporadic pains... it depends on your level of activity and how much you strain yourself doing things you might have to leave for others to do...

it takes quite a while for all those compressed nerves to start shooting their signals the right way after so much time of just making do... i know that for many, many, many weeks my body would do something like a spell check from the tip of my head down to the tips of my toes... every nerve said "present" during these checks and it was very frightening to me, especially because it was usually at 4 am!

i know you've probably heard/read this before but you just need to practice patience <smile>... you'lkl be fine sooner than you think, and this comes from someone who never thought she would EVER get better because of all the "new" stuff that was going on in her body! it's hard to feel that you'll heal when you get increasingly worse aches and pains not only where you used to hurt but everywhere you didn't hurt too! but believe me, if all went well with the surgical part, your body will do it's job in it's own time... and that is very different for each of us...

hugs and God bless!!!

sandra

------------------
    " In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
    Author Unknown

Old 07-13-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Hello tetons,

Welcome to the board. Someone smarter than I will answer your question soon I'm sure. I will say that everyone is different, I had a 3 level May 2. It seems like every couple of days something different starts to happen. I was doing alot better a month ago than I am today. I have pain in the back of my neck,( when I try doing anything) along with numbness in my arms and down my left leg. I'm under the impression that it will get better..... that's what I'm hoping anyway!

Good luck tetons and welcome, you'll love the people here... I haven't seen a post yet that someone hasn't expercienced and was able to offer some help.

Harvey

------------------
    Three Level C 4-5,5-6,6-7...Fusion, Grafts and plating.Bone Growth Stimulator worn all the time.

Closed Thread