It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI - cervical and Chiari evaluation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
    ebb553
    (female)

ebb553 HB User
    MRI - cervical and Chiari evaluation

Recent MRI of cervical spine and lower brain. I have C1M and will be scheduling a date for surgery next week. Based on symptoms, NS wants to wait on the cervical spine and deal with the Chiari first. Which works for me as I have few symptoms due to disc problems and a boatload of headaches from chiari. I'm assuming there is not need to even think about surgery for the DD when symptoms aren't bad enough? Weird tho -- they used to be worse and now much better..but the DD has gotten worse! Not sure how this can be - anyone else have symptoms at one point and then they've gone away or lessened? I do get numbness in my right hand when I sleep in a certain way and have issues with both thumbs - and have a lot of leg pain. But not sure if the leg pain is from compression issues with Chiari or not. Can't wait to have this surgery and see what symptoms go away.

Impression:
    1. Chiari malformation with 12 mm cerebellar tonsil ectopia and some
    kinking of the cervical medullary junction. Similar appearance to June
    2. Cervical spondylitic changes. Moderate to advanced changes C5-C6
    and C6-C7. C6-C7 demonstrates moderate edema at the endplates. Canal
    stenosis both levels, greater at C5-C6.
    3. C3-C4-left facet arthropathy and moderate left foraminal stenosis.
    4. C4-C5-mild anterolisthesis. Left facet arthropathy and left
    foraminal stenosis.
    5. C5-C6- moderate to advanced spondylosis. Mild edema. Moderate
    canal and right foraminal stenosis.
    6. C6-C7-moderate to advanced changes. Moderate endplate edema. Canal
    stenosis and mild to moderate foraminal stenosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: MRI - cervical and Chiari evaluation

12mm? Good luck with the surgery.

I don't see anything in the report that calls out for cervical spinal surgery, but then, the use of such a vague term as "spondylosis" kind of indicates the radiologist won't - or can't - be as specific as you deserve for him to be.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
    ebb553
    (female)

ebb553 HB User

Thanks -- now that I've decided to go ahead with the surgery, all kinds of feelings are popping up. But I am really tired of headaches, chest/throat pressure, and strange sensations of all kinds. So funny to have something supposedly all my life and not until almost 2 yrs ago did I start having any symptoms. It started with debilitating dizziness which was caused by spinal leaks and subsequent blood patches. Good to get that out of the way, but the headaches continued due to severe compression issues. (can't wait to cough and not get a headache..hehe)

I didn't realize the report was vague, but it's all foreign to me for sure. In reading it, it seemed to have lots of description; I'd look up the words and as soon as I think I understood it, out the window it went. ha

Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

"Spondylosis" is like saying "it could be better".

Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I hope you have consulted with a number of surgeons and have found someone with extensive experience with Chiari malformations. You don't want to let just any neurosurgeon operate on this. It is a highly technical surgery.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
    ebb553
    (female)

ebb553 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I've seen two NS's and will have the surgery done by Dr. Peter Grossi at Duke. He is the best of all worlds for me -- excellent surgeon, great bedside manner, very patient and and took a lot of time (on several occasions) to answer all my questions and go over all my scans. We talked about the various chiari surgeries he's done and some of the "issues" that he's dealt with and how he handled them. I had been seeing Dr. Grant/Duke but he has since taken a position at Stanford. My neuroradiologist feels he's an excellent surgeon.

My research has pulled up great "reviews" and when my neuroradiologist gave her thumbs up, that sealed the deal for me.

It's definitely a daunting thing, this surgery

Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Yes, it is a complex surgery, but it sounds like you are in very good hands. I wish you the best. Do you have a date scheduled?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
    ebb553
    (female)

ebb553 HB User

Ok...it's on. Surgery is scheduled for march 24 and I couldn't be happier. And yet again, another encounter with someone who highly recommended Dr. Grossi. PA at endo says they work with him (pituitary stuff) and he is awesome. So nice to keep getting these reaffirmations (many unsolicited) - really puts my mind at ease. Hoping recovery will be well on its way by the time the weather warms up I'm more concerned with the recovery than the surgery..ha. I should probably switch over to another, more relevant board, but anyone on here had surgery that can share how their recovery went? thanks!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad you have a date for surgery, and it sounds like you are in good hands. The choice of the surgeon is the most important decision you will make...and it sounds like you have done a good job!

Recovery will vary and restrictions will be given by your surgeon, but generally people are in the hospital 2-3 days. Once you return home, you will want to avoid activities that increase pressure in the head like bending over, straining during a bowel movement, prolonged coughing. You will probably have a lifting restrictions, like nothing heavier than a gallon of milk (this includes children!!)

For quite awhile (again to be determined by your surgeon) you should not do housework or yard work...particularly things like vacuuming, loading/unloading dishwasher, washer or dryer, etc.

You will need to be patient with yourself. The road back can be long.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
    ebb553
    (female)

ebb553 HB User

surgery 3/24 -- feel like a new person. First month was tough - but by 6 wk post op was about feeling human again (actually much better than that Got off narcotics as soon as that first post surgery week was over -- went to Motrin and occasional muscle relaxer. I feel like I am one of the fortunate ones -- recovered from surgery pretty quickly. The thing that lingered the most was the uncomfortable feeling when bending over. At post op appt, dr told me if I was comfortable I could pick up my grand daughter (20 lbs)..just not to go crazy. Your body pretty much tells you what to do. No more headaches, dizziness, fatigue, and that overall crappy feeling. No more tingling or legs "giving out", neck pain almost gone, but I have DD so that's that.

Peter Grossi is awesome, that's all I can say. He's with Duke but works out of Duke Raleigh hospital, which is smaller and the people there are amazing. Excellent surgeon and the nicest guy. He gets a 10 in my book.

Closed Thread