It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cautions about titanium plate and bone fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
    fkissam
    Inactive

fkissam HB User
    Post Cautions about titanium plate and bone fusion

I have an allograft bone fusion and titanium plate on my C4-C5-C6 levels.

In a few weeks, my doctor is going to clear me for activity.

I would think if you twist your neck quickly or lift a lot of weight.... that the screws or the titanium plate would fall off?

Is that likely?
    If the plate did fall off, then what is necessary .... another surgery to get that plate out of the body?

Thank you.

------------------
    May 2003 Surgery for:
    ACD C4
    Fusion C4-C5-C6
    Corpectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2003, 05:39 AM   #2
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    fkissam-

They put the titanium plate in with screws. It's going to stay there unless you enter one of those ultimate fighting contests we see on Pay Per View. It's really wild to look at an xray of your neck and see the plate and screws.

The one thing that I've been told to watch out for is to make sure you have a Neurosurgeon on your surgical team. I have a friend who had Cervical surgery from an OSS. The screws used were 1 mm too long (that's 40 thousandths of an inch) and they punctured something and she is permanently disabled. I found this out after my surgery, but I'm so glad at least a NS did my surgery. About my friend's surgery, the correct length of screw was specified, but the OSS used a longer one. So hopefully this is a rare occurence.

jdog

Old 07-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Hi,
    I also have titanium plate at c5-6-7.No problems with mine. My cousin has it at c2-3, 3-4, 4-5. It was done in 1991 and her plate has shifted and one screw is missing. She also has a large tumor in that area which was pressing on her plate. Another friend has it at c3-4-5 and her plate actually cracked and has to be removed. When her NS put the screws in he missesd!!! They were put into the soft tissue or whatever is in that area that is not bone. I always thought titanium was the hardest metal and could never crack, but I have proof that it can. And then I know several people that have never had any problems at all. Who knows what contibutes to this happening. Good luck and dont be scared. Of course, dont go wrestling or playing football.

Lori

Closed Thread