It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Questions about outpatient acf nausea/vommiting with general anesthesia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2003, 08:15 AM   #1
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    Question Questions about outpatient acf nausea/vommiting with general anesthesia

After I asked the spine dr. what the surgery involves he said it would be outpatient surgery. He said something about taking out the old disc, putting a metal plate (so I don't have to wear a neck brace) and then a "cage" where it will be filled up with bone from vertebrae and that will come together several months later. I will get another opinion from the neurosurgeon as soon as the nurse can get me in. After asking him how often he does surgeries, he told us that he has done between 6 and 7,000 of these surgeries and has been in practice for 14 years. DH then said he meant what days during the week and dr. said every Tues and Thurs. I heard him mention to the check out girl "one level acf."

The nurse got our number as she said it would be easier for her to get me in with the neurosurgeon with a referral from the spine dr. than if I called myself. The only downside of the surgery in my opinion is that it involves general anesthesia and is outpatient. I had my hysterectomy with a spinal. My dh told him I was concerned about the n/v afterwards. The dr. says there are new drugs to take care of nausea and vommiting. I didn't think to tell him this but if it were not outpatient and I got to stay one night, I may be more comfortable since I had a bad experience of going home after outpatient lap with general and had severe nausea and vommiting after I got home. I felt ok while still in outpatient surgery. Later that evening it hit me hard for three days and I had an allergic reaction to the only one suppository anti-nausea stuff the dr. gave me. I was upset that he didn't give me more and still got sick anyway. I ended up back in the hospital with severe dehydration and near fatal reaction to the anti-nausea drug four days later. I'd hate to go home after neck surgery and find myself really sick with no option for relieving the nausea after I was home.

The dr. said I may have some trouble swallowing after I get home. I'm thinking if he gave me the oral pills zofran (it doesn't come in suppository) and I had trouble swallowing or difficulty in keeping it down, I'd have to put up with being sick. I've tried pherghan suppositories before but still got sick anyway until it kicked in 1/2 hour later. I figure if I were to stay overnight, they could manage my n/v by i.v. I am thinking of asking about this. I don't know the majority of patients that stay overnight since he said it was outpatient. Gosh I'm more scared of this than the hysterectomy. Seems silly but I really don't want to get sick and end up back in the hospital from dehydration. I'd rather stay a night to make sure the vommiting was well controlled before letting me go home. I'll make sure the anesthesiologist gives me zofran. I wonder if they will let me keep the i.v. in and have my dh who is a nurse can give me injections of zofran after I'm home.

Has anyone else had this as an outpatient procedure?

Has anyone had trouble with nausea and vommiting or had it well taken care of? Since my nausea and vommiting didn't start till after I got home from the first surgery I had, I figure I have to at least let them know to give me something. Will it last 3 days though?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2003, 09:08 AM   #2
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    DO NOT... I repeat, DO NOT HAVE THIS AS AN OUTPATIENT PROCEDURE!!!!!! If by outpatient they mean less than 24 hours, then fine... but if they mean whisking you out the door a few hours after surgery, DON'T DO IT!!! This is major surgery in every sense of the word, and if you want to read some of the terrible things that can happen to you, read ladyblue's recent account of just such a thing.

Get a second and even a third opinion if you need to, but stay away from any doctor who wants to send you right out the door. And I don't say this just to scare you... it's for your own safety and best health interests.
    wr

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

[This message has been edited by winged phantom (edited 07-15-2003).]

Old 07-15-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    The dr. said the surgery was about two hours. I didn't know there was a difference in it being less than 2 hours or being wisked out? It's done at a hospital and I thought outpatient meant meant I'd go home the same day. Maybe not. I am calling to find out.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:34 AM   #4
    Sherrie P

Sherrie P HB User
    DON'T DO IT AS AN OUTPATIENT!!! I did not get my gag reflex back for about 18 hours after surgery; therefore, I could not sit up, drink or eat anything. They kept me on phengram, darvcet, and morphene shots. Could not take any meds orally.

DON'T RUSH yourself to go home...take it easy and take your time!!

I agree get a 2nd or 3rd opionion if they are insisting to do it as an outpatient.

I cannot imagine doing this on an outpatient basis.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
    Sherrie P

Sherrie P HB User
    I had my surgery on a Friday afternoon at 2pm and went home on Monday afternoon.

It was not to early.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    I can not imagine this surgery as an outpatient. They kept me on the pump for 24 hours. They would not let me eat anything for 24 hours - with the exception of ice chips to suck on and I still got sick on them the next morning - as soon as they put food down in front of me.

They would not even let me out of bed until the next day. I had a catheter in, which stayed in until the next afternoon. I don't think I was that sick or incapcitated after the surgery but I do know I would never have been able to funtion enough to go home.

I had my surgery at 9:00 on a thursday and at 9:00 on Friday my surgeon came into the room - looked at me and said "NO WAY ARE YOU GOING HOME TODAY". So you can see why I would say it is unbelievable someone would try this as an outpatient procedure.

Question the doctor again and make sure he did say outpatient.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:04 PM   #7
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Oops! I meant 24 hours (I have learned recently that some of my number don't work on the upper number pad... have to go to the side; so much for my son's "free" gift!); another person here said her doctor did it on an "outpatient" basis, meaning she had to be released to go home before 24 hours was out.

My surgery was also about 2 hours.... for my 3 level ACDF.

wr
    ps... I'll edit the previous message to prevent mass confusion...lol

Old 07-15-2003, 02:13 PM   #8
    j_f_2003
    Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
    I did call and the nurse she said it was done on an outpatient because insurance won't cover for a night stay because it's only ONE level. If it were more than one level, she said it would be a longer stay. This bothers me. I will see what the neurosurgeon has to say. Who knows he may want to keep his patients overnight and I may have him do the surgery instead. I also asked about zofran and she said he doesn't use zofran. He usually gives compazine or phernerghan. She said I could talk it over with him on my follow up visit. I am not taking compazine ever again. I almost died from it the first time. Phenerghan doesn't work as well as zofran for me. During my pregnancy I'd still barf with phernerghan. I will insist zofran and insist on staying at least one night if insurance will approve. I'm willing to pay out of pocket to stay a night if insurance will cover but if the dr. doesn't want me to stay, I may have to find another alternative for the nausea and maybe another surgeon. He seemed like a really nice dr. though so if I told him what my experience was before he may not have a problem with me staying overnight. Thanks for the replies. They are appreciated.

Old 07-15-2003, 06:14 PM   #9
    rollercoasterfan

rollercoasterfan HB User
    j_f_2003,

Please ask the doctor to use any excuse...including the fact you get sick, to keep you the extra day. I am sure if the doctor will do that the insurance will pay.

This is not a "same day" procedure.....and I am with you on getting sick after surgery....I still get very sick from the anesthesia and needed the time to recover.

This is serious stuff and throwing up after this surgery is not good for your neck or your throat. If it is violent it may un-do everything you just went through.

Do whatevery you can to stay at least 24 hours.

Good luck and God bless.
    hugs,
    Suzie

------------------
    ACDF 6-7 June 1998
    ACDF 3-6 w/ hardware
    July 2, 2003

Old 07-15-2003, 07:47 PM   #10
    sroman127
    (female)

sroman127 HB User
    I had a one level surgery in Feb. My surgery was completed at 2:00, and I did not get sick to my stomach until about 8:00. They gave me Phenegran in my IV and within five minutes my stomach felt fine. And I was deathly nauseus before the phenegran. I begged my doctor to let me go home and even had the nurse call him at home at 7:00p.m. to ask if I could leave. Extreme issues with staying in the hospital. Anyway, he made me stay until the next morning, and now I am glad I did. I think my insurance company approved 23 hours in the hospital.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:45 PM   #11
    ladyblue

ladyblue HB User
    For goodness sake DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT have it done outpatient. They did that to me and sent me home 3 hours after the surgery. Two days later I was back in a real hospital in critical condition from deyhydration, aspiration etc etc etc. Dont mean to scare you, but it is a very real possibility that you will have throat problems. I still have a paralized vocal chord and have trouble with choking on liquids and have yet to get my voice back to full strength. Of course this has yet to be addressed, but it will for sure. I posted the complete saga of my experience in early to mid June if you want to go a few pages back and read it.

Lisa

Closed Thread