It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
    pashie
    (female)

pashie HB Userpashie HB User
    Smile update

Posterior cervical decompression & fusion on c2 c3 c4 on Feb 7/14 ......if not cancel......know I can do this .....c2 c3 and one side of c4.......say a prayer for me........

Last edited by pashie; 01-26-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: update

I will say a little prayer for you there Pashie.

I know that you can be strong enough to go through this procedure. Heck just talking about it for the last few months is the hard part. Getting yourself through the operation was the easy part for me. But you do hurt after the operation from the posterior. They move more muscles & ligaments.
    Since you're only going from one side it will be an easier recovery for you.

I was just reading up on your earlier posts. I forgot to answer you back on you asking whether I had a posterior or not.
    This is from my discharge paperwork:
    "anterior channel vertebrectomy with strut graft C4-7", followed by "Anterior cervical fusion C4-7 with harms cage and skyline kick plates and local bone graft" on 9 April '13.

Then a couple of days later on 12 April '13 I had a "posterior cervical
    disc fusion C4-T1 mountaineer instrumentation and right bone iliac crest"

Keep us updated.

The following user gives a hug of support to roadiez:
    pashie (01-27-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to roadiez For This Useful Post:
    pashie (01-27-2014)
    Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
    pashie
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roadiez View Post
    I will say a little prayer for you there Pashie.

I know that you can be strong enough to go through this procedure. Heck just talking about it for the last few months is the hard part. Getting yourself through the operation was the easy part for me. But you do hurt after the operation from the posterior. They move more muscles & ligaments.
    Since you're only going from one side it will be an easier recovery for you.

I was just reading up on your earlier posts. I forgot to answer you back on you asking whether I had a posterior or not.
    This is from my discharge paperwork:
    "anterior channel vertebrectomy with strut graft C4-7", followed by "Anterior cervical fusion C4-7 with harms cage and skyline kick plates and local bone graft" on 9 April '13.

Then a couple of days later on 12 April '13 I had a "posterior cervical
    disc fusion C4-T1 mountaineer instrumentation and right bone iliac crest"

Keep us updated.

wow !!!!!!you sure had a lot done. Thanks for posting. I thought everyone forgot about me.......you made my day.....Carol

Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Yeah, I did... Honestly I haven't fully recovered yet either. I have noticed some new symptoms & pains. The only problem is I don't have health insurance now. I lost it about 3 weeks after my operations & never got to do true physical therapy.

I have logged on to the new "National Healthcare" site. But since the screw ups they had. It was never forwarded to my state for further review. So, here I am 3 months since that(American Healthcare Act) started & 10 or 11 months post-op & no insurance. I have to re-apply for "Medicaid" & "Indiana HIP".
    No need to bother you with those troubles.

But please make sure you get your physical therapy set up close to you home. That way you can at least get there via a friend, cab or bus. Also did you ever find out about a "Collar" or still have to wait for the day of surgery & such to ask the doctor?

Also make sure you have you home system that you might want/need when you get there. And to make sure that you have someone strong enough for the first 4 to 5 days that can support your body weight to help you to do the necessaries until you get your strength back.

If it wasn't for my wife I would have really been up a creek! She has been my HERO through this. She took off work for the week I was in the hospital & then she was here at home with me for the first 5 days afterward baby sitting me. I stayed in the recliner for the most part & when I moved to the bed I had a cane that helped me push against the headboard to raise up. My wife then did the anchor for me to hold on while doing that & to help me move in the house.

I also remember that the nurses had me up & walking as soon as they could. Even if it's 20 feet. The doctors want you moving every 3 to 4 hours to work those back muscles loose.

Well I have typed a good bit for now.

Also I never forgot about you. I have been reading posts on here about everyday. I had to re-read through the different posts to realize I never got back with you. I honestly thought I did.

But best of luck & you will be in our thoughts for your surgery coming up.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
    roadiez
    (male)

Hey Carol I see that you're less than 2 weeks from your surgeries. I guess that you're getting nervous about your upcoming date. I'm also checking in to see if your getting the things you might need post surgery. Have you lined up any help for when you get home? PT? I'm just trying to give you a little support. It seems that you're a little nervous about it. I don't blame you at all. But if I can answer any more questions you might have just give me a note.
    Best of luck, PR

Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 AM   #6
    pashie
    (female)

Going for pre-op today and surgery is Friday. Nervous but praying at least some of this pain will ease up. Both ears are tingling now and under my chin.
    live in seniors apartments so lots of help.

Like can you reach to get your clothes out of a closet? Can you reach to comb your hair? Somewhere I read you can't reach over your head> Does everything have to be eye level?
    Thank you for your support....it helps a lot....carol

Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
    roadiez
    (male)

On the reaching part... I remember taking it easy for the first week.
    Because you will feel the pull of raising up your hands. It is so very easy to just forget the operation & raise your hands up for a pair of pants or a shirt. Then you feel it. A quick stinging burn.
    I would also recommend wearing some very casual clothes like a sweat pants & button up shirt or best would be a robe that way you're not doing too much with your arms until you get used to it.
    Oh the fixing the hair thing... The first week you will not feel like having company at all! I remember my wife helping me damp my hair with a rag or sprinkling water on my head to make it more manageable. It will get easier after the 1st week. To where you start raising one arm at a time & that does make it easier. Have a favorite brush or comb handy to do what you feel comfortable doing.
    Also have a cane handy to help PUSH yourself up from a lying down position or from the side. That I do remember not real fondly. That took all the strength I had. I am 43 & that was hard to do when you had to go to the bathroom. I am so lucky my wife had a urinal for me. I hope that doesn't offend you. But I am saying the truth.
    While in the hospital I remember having the catheter being taking out.
    Ouch!
    I had never had one before. And I had 2 put in while under in 1 week. I remember them being taking out as well more vividly.

I do wish you the best. I was actually on the computer the same day I had my first surgery. The second was the posterior & it was the day after. It was harder on me. I don't know if it was because of 2 in one week or just the posterior was harder on me.

If you have a tablet or small laptop take it with you. You can become bored at times.
    I was on a pain pump after both operations & used them. They do wean you off as it goes. I was also given Percocet for home the first 30 days. Then back to the Lortab.
    Having a different pain med helps to conquer the pain levels.

Like I said best of luck & may GOD be on your side through out the operation.

Closed Thread