It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Possibility of an ACDF Repeat- Q's for other ACDFers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Post Possibility of an ACDF Repeat- Q's for other ACDFers

Well, based on a visit to the Duke U Spine Center, I'm going to see a NS and get a CT scan to look at my ACDF performed almost 11 months ago.

They are concerned because x-rays show a marked shift in the angle of one of the screws and about the cord compression at C5/6. The CT scan is going to show if the cause is bony and if my levels have fused.

I've been thinking about calling the surgeon that did the original job and telling him if something is wrong with my neck still, I expect him to do the surgery again, UNDER WARRANTY!!!! 12 Months, or 12,000 nods

I'm concerned about a lot of things and hope that you guys can comment on them.

First, they are also (in tandem) going to do a surgery where they come in from the back (posterior) and do some work. What is that called? Has anyone had that done and can you give me some impressions?

Also, did this happen to anyone else? I was positioned in such a way during surgery that when I woke up, my left arm was totally useless. It was if I had slept on it for 3 or 4 days. I was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else.

D*mn, I'm scared. Another 3 level ACDF. I'm hoping I'm fused and they'll only change out the hardware. Maybe they can put a screwdriver in. And the posterior procedure.

OK guys, start talking. Please.

jdog

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
    rollercoasterfan

rollercoasterfan HB User
    jdog,

Good luck with everything. Maybe they already felt they screwed you enough so they will not leave a screw driver. How was that MRI or xray (don't remember, I think it was an xray) ...I saw it on the local news and it blew my mind.

Only thing I can comment on is the arm tingles....after my surgery on July 2 ACDF C3-6, I had the same feeling but in both arms(worse on the right). I assumed it was nerves that were compressed and now waking up...but I may be wrong...maybe it was the postition they had me in on the table. They both felt totally asleep... but I could use them. They also had that feeling that they should appear swollen or puffy.....but they appeared fine....just felt weird. It lasted for two days and slowly returned to a normal feeling. I did not have this feeling after my first ACDF C6-7 in 1998. It must be something in that area being that we both had the same feeling and it was at the same level in the cspine. Bizarre stuff.

Never had any experience with a posterior surgery so can't help out there. Sorry.

Good luck again and God bless!
    Hugs,
    Suzie

------------------
    ACDF 6-7 June 1998
    ACDF 3-6 w/ hardware
    July 2, 2003

Old 07-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    jdog, do you really want to threaten your doctor and then have him do such intricate and delicate work? I don't think so! Personally, if some doctor did the screw-up (no pun intended), I wouldn't want him to touch me again... not with nerves involved! If it was something unforseen and explainable, then that's another story...

wr

Old 07-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Ah Phantom -

Notice the smiley in that paragraph. After all is said and done in the testing arena, I plan to go visit him and pay the $26 copay and let him tell me what I did wrong. I'm sure he did nothing wrong.

However, I don't know if I ever told you guys this, but about a month after my surgery, both my NS's PA and his nurse left. He got a new nurse (someone that he supposedly had a while back). At my 2 month follow up, I asked her about a refill on my painmed, and she slyly gave me a little speech which I translated as "You're an addict, you're not in pain, why should I ask the doctor to give you meds?" I got my 3rd month of meds, but I felt like sh*t every time I took one and thought about her saying that to me.

Let's just say I'd like to see her again so I can tell her how much she means to me.

One other thing I found out about this NS. He had an ACDF a couple of years back and the skinny is that his didn't go so hot either. Perhaps it's karma.

jdog

Old 07-18-2003, 05:07 AM   #5
    need2fuse

need2fuse HB User
    When i woke up I had trouble with my ulnar nerve. Never had it before the surgery. I would goto bend my arm and it would flip out (or in or up however you wanna think of it). I almost whacked a nurse in the face! oh my.... they said it was from the positioning during surgery and from swelling as well. That they move and mess with the nerves and sometimes they get ticked off. It cleared up for me in a few days. The electric shock flinging was gone in two days, Ice on the elbow cleared the rest of it up within the week.
    HTH
    sue
    shoulder impingement 5/2003
    results are in, the fusion never fully healed. =/
    revision and an overhaul surgery set for June 27th

Old 07-18-2003, 06:31 AM   #6
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Sue -

My problem (I think) came from the positioning and the steriods pumped into my arm. I couldn't even close my hand. I couln't lift a soda. By feeling my arm, I can feel just a wee bit of muscularture difference in my left arm from my right, but I bet I could give you a big bear hug and you wouldn't know the difference. Who knows what that would lead to.

jdog

Old 07-18-2003, 06:33 AM   #7
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hi J.,

I'm so sorry about the surgery you are about to face. It's not fair that a nice guy like you has to go through this.

You asked about positioning during the procedure. Yes, my NS said that a lot of my problems after surgery are because of the positioning for 5 hours. I'm not real sure that I believe him, but I only have his word to go by. He's not a trustworthy kind of guy, if ya know what I mean. He's an NS. I still have a lot of problems (neck, arms, shoulder, and legs). It has been about 4-1/2 months for me.

J., you're still in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. to Ginny, Jeanine, and AJ.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 07-18-2003).]

Old 07-18-2003, 10:04 AM   #8
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Memer,

Welcome back!! Have you been over fighting in Iraq?

jdog

Old 07-19-2003, 09:34 AM   #9
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hey J.,

I've been fighting a battle but not with guns. I'm scared of guns. I could see me over in Iraq, both hands over my head, peeking out. I think the good guys would shoot me .

Old 07-20-2003, 08:07 PM   #10
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    HI JDOG,
    I had a similar problem. I had an ACDF c5-6-7 with plate, hardwear an my own bone for the graft. I did not fuse ( due to too much bone installed) and ended up with the bone growing into spurs posteriorly cuasing spinal stenosis and major pain. I had a posterior laminectomy/formainotomy done on June 4, 2003. The arm pain is common after surgery. We are like rag dolls while under and cant tell them to take it easy while moving us. I also had bruises on my arms after surgery. I wish you luck and hope you are pain free soon.

Lori

Laminectomy l4-5 2/2001
    ACDF C5-6-7 10/2002
    Posterior laminectomy/foramiontomy 6/4/2003
    Staph infection/ back in hosp. 7/4/2003- 7/9/2003

Closed Thread