It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone had a Posterior Cervical Laminectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2003, 08:27 PM   #1
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Post Anyone had a Posterior Cervical Laminectomy?

I'm wondering if anyone here has had a Posterior cervical Laminectomy. I am facing the possibility of having one due to a crappy job of an ACDF by a PITA Neurosurgeon, and was wondering if people who have had one can give me the low down on it. Pain/Recovery, etc. Thanks in advance.

jdog

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
    Orchrid Man

Orchrid Man HB User
    Jdog,

Nor's mother Wilba had one
    Send a call out to Nor
    I like too know answer also

Jim RET SSgt USAF

C2-3, disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress
    C3-4, disc protrusion with bone spurs, neural foraminal narrowing.
    C4-5 large disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the cord, severe canal stenosis
    C5-6 disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the left cord, severe stenosis
    C6-7 disc protrusion with bone spurs but does not compress the cord, neural foraminal stenosis.
    C7-T1 is normal
    T2-3 disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress

Conclusion:
    Severe canal stenosis secondary to disc protrusion at C4-5 and C5-6 with mild cord volume loss at these levels.

-Surgery Set for- 18 Sep 03-4 Level Lamin. with plating

Old 07-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Hi Jdog,
    I had post. laminectomy/foramimotomy c6-7 on June 4, 2003.Pain and recovery is much worse compared to ACDF. More muscles are involved. Good luck.

Lori

laminectomy l4-5 2/2001
    acdf c5-6-7 10/2002
    post. laminectomy/foraminotomy 6/4/2003
    back in hosp/staph infection 7/4- 7/9/2003

Old 07-21-2003, 05:44 AM   #4
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Lori -

Can you give me an idea of what you had to put up with? I'm trying to figure out what kind of gear I might have to wear.

BTW, I'm also looking at a surgery at L4/5. Man, we must be related. The only thing going for me is I have one of them there big football player type necks. Hopefully, that will help in recovery.

Do tell, what did you go through? I'm hoping I don't have to have my hardware replaced, too.

jdog

Old 07-21-2003, 04:18 PM   #5
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Jdog,
    Hi. I only had to wear a soft collar for 2 weeks. The pain is throbbing/burning feeling that radiates into shoulder area. Very delicate area to operate on due to all the muscles. My surgery was also done to "repair" what 1st surgeon messed up!!! I also ended up with a staph infection so I will assume that alot of my pain was due to that. I am still on pain meds. My NS gave me exercises to do at home to loosen the muscles and they do work. No PT or Chiro. I also am looking at another L4-5 surgery down the road. Read your other posts.
    Good luck
    Lori

Old 07-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #6
    NOR

NOR HB User
    Sorry I've MIA for a little while. Mom did have a posterior cervical lamiectomy. By the way she got her sutures out today...woohoo!!!! She did have alot of pain at first. Now it seems to mainly be her muscles that are sore. As far as gear goes ( not sure what type of gear you're asking about) she has a Miami j collar she will be wearing for about 4 more weeks, she has two pins and two screws,one that has already come loose,but they say that isnt a problem, and her walker. She is suppoosed to start PT soon to help her start walking better and to help her with stairs. Another thing to consider is that mom is a bit older than everyone here and she also had ( according to the NS and OS ) irrepairable damage. One other thing ...mom says she doest regret the surgery..the way she sees it she really didnt have any other options because they said that the stenosis had progressed so far that she would lose complete use of her arms and hands within 2 years without the surgery. If there is anything other info I can help you with just let me know.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:19 PM   #7
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Lori -

I've posted on so many threads, we just may have to start another one. I'm glad you only had to wear a collar 2 weeks. What type of blockage did yours turn out to be? Was it bony?

jdog

Old 07-22-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    JDOG,
    Hi. My surgery was to get rid of bone spurs causing spinal stenosis at c6-7. That was the area my bone graft was done. I did not fuse correctly and supposedly the graft grew into a spur in the posterior c-spine.

Lori

Closed Thread