It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had Cervical Surgeries like mine performed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Has anyone had Cervical Surgeries like mine performed?

Hi folks. Most of you have chatted with me on here over the last year or so.
    Now I have a couple of questions & I would like to hear from you of possible.

In April of 2013 I had an " Anterior Channel Vertebrectomy with strut graft C4-7. Along with ACDF also.

Then 3 days later I had Posterior Cervical Disc Fusion C4-T1 with instrumentation and right bone iliac crest.

So here's my questions has anyone had this done? Or know of anyone having this done? I have searched everywhere I could & have yet to find someone having surgeries on their neck from the front & back. I know my neck is screwed up. But I just wonder how common it is for this to be done.

My dad had a screwed up neck & broke it back in '75 from a coal mine accident. After that he had about 6 surgeries I think in various places to get his back fixed. Cervical, Lumbar, thoracic & such. Just to help him out.

But I just wonder was mine a special case or because I had so much wrong with it was this the best course of remedy.

I am not regretting having the surgeries done don't get me wrong. But I just cannot find anyone having basically their cervical portion of their neck a metal cage entirely. I am having some new symptoms & cannot go to my local ER when the pain is so intense to receive a pain shot performed. That is because I had the surgeries done in Louisville, Ky. I am in Evansville, In. about 110 miles difference.
    And if anyone knows that once worked on another Dr. will not touch you for the fear of messing you up! Man that sucks big time!
    I have read different boards on here & have seen a lot of similarities & such. But not multiple level fusions from the front & back. That is why I am asking.

WebDozer, Teteri66 , Gmak. I know I am forgetting some of the very good & knowledgeable people on here. I would like your input if you would please. I really seek your input for me.
    Please.

Also if you look at my avatar you can see what I mean about having an entirely metal cage for a neck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Has anyone had Cervical Surgeries like mine performed?

Sorry, I haven't got a clue. Someone was posting here not too long ago about a "corpectomy", which I assume is the same as a vertebrectomy. I don't remember if they also had posterior surgery.

You might try some of the commercial sites and see if they have comments sections, or contact some of the sites offering vertebrectomies and see if they can point you to others who've had it done. Or you could go back to Louisville and see if you can the surgeon to talk to you.....

Old 02-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: Has anyone had Cervical Surgeries like mine performed?

Well also I was wanting to know if you have heard of anyone having an "Anterior & a Posterior" done on the same series of discs.
    A Verbrectomy is the surgical excision of a vertebra. Which is familiar to a Laminectomy. A Corpectomy is a surgical procedure that involves removing part of the vertebral body as well on the posterior side.

Closed Thread

« C3-5 acdf | update »