It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Still have pain after neck fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
    Franek
    (male)

Franek HB User
    Still have pain after neck fusion

Hi I am new here and hoping that someone has been down this path before. I had a C5/6/7 fusion on the 3rd December. Pre-op I had severe headaches, pain in my left shoulder and back pain. Operation went well and 6 weeks post op my neurosurgeon is happy. Only problem is that I STILL have headaches backspasms and pain. Is this really normal? The NS says I have muscle memory and that it will take 3-6 months to get rid of it. NS told my wife to massage my back and neck to alleviate the pain but it doesnt help much. No PT. I am back on the painkillers just like before. How long should I live like this? Should I go for PT? Any ideas / suggestions welcome!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
    Gail713
    (female)

Gail713 HB User
    Re: Still have pain after neck fusion

Hello. I also had a fusion (c3-c7) and have had little relief. Mine was done in April of 2013. I was offered valium for the spasms, but who wants to go around like a zombie? The headaches are coming back, the tingling is back in my hands, pain from the neck area, and these darned muscle spasms. I am, like you, frustrated. After nine months, I would have expected my symptoms to have been completely gone. I feel like I am in more pain now than before the surgery. I also was perscribed no PT. I did use some accupuncture that helped the symptoms for a while. Wish I had a better answer to you than its like that for me as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gail713 For This Useful Post:
    Franek (02-04-2014)
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
    Franek
    (male)

Franek HB User

I would appreciate any advice from anyone with similar problems in the past. How did you get rid of the pain? Did anyone else suffer so badly with muscle spasms? I just can't believe that I went through all of that pain and keeping my neck in a brace for 6 weeks and it is not ANY better??? How is that possible????

Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

Gail and Franke, were your fusions done through the front of the neck or the back? I have read posts that say that operations through the back of the neck take longer to obtain pain relief due to their cutting through muscle.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
    Franek
    (male)

Franek HB User

Hi , Mine was done throught the front of the neck cut is on the right hand side...

Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Franek View Post
    Hi , Mine was done throught the front of the neck cut is on the right hand side...
    I have heard that when they do a fusion, they lift and reposition the bones and discs to some extent, and this can pull on the muscles and cause spasms. Most people who have had this say it takes a few months for the muscles to readjust and for those spasms to go away. PT and stretching might help, but I'd be careful as it could also flare things up.

It's not surprising that you still have some pain 2 months postop; some on here have said recovery was tough for many months. I had lower back surgery and noticed pain relief after about 7 months.

I have been debating between a minimally invasive foraminotomy in my neck and a fusion, and based on your and Gail's feedback, I think I'll go with the foraminotomy. as my discs are not pushing on the spinal cord.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
    lugwrench82
    (male)

lugwrench82 HB User

I also had posterior c3,4,5,6and 7 fused with rails in 2000. Started Hydro therapy at 12 weeks. At 26 weeks ,regular pt. Seven months back to work, light duty. After one year I was fully recovered. Now 13 years later, t2- t1 herniated.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lugwrench82 View Post
    I also had posterior c3,4,5,6and 7 fused with rails in 2000. Started Hydro therapy at 12 weeks. At 26 weeks ,regular pt. Seven months back to work, light duty. After one year I was fully recovered. Now 13 years later, t2- t1 herniated.
    Bummer! Do they consider this herniation adjacent segment breakdown due to your previous fusion? How long did the pain take to go away after your posterior fusion? I'm having a posterior foraminotomy in 10 days.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User

I had ACDF in 12/2010. I meet 2 other women that went through similar surgeries. Out thread goes for more than a year and is like a journal of our pain and issues. What you are going through is normal. The muscle spams occur for a long time as does the pain. The more you do and possibly push yourself too much those issues come back. It is important to take it slow and listen to your body. I do not recall the specific time frame, but it did take a while. Feel better

Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #10
    lugwrench82
    (male)

lugwrench82 HB User

Yes, unfortunatly, it is common for future failures below. Be patient. I was upwards of a year before the pain was 90% gone. I drove truck and worked as a mechanic. I was not easy on my neck. All that has changed now.

Closed Thread