It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 4 weeks post-op and can't sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    Post 4 weeks post-op and can't sleep

Now that I'm off of the pain pills I cannot sleep maybe 3 hours a night..Has any one else had this problem..My ns told me while I was still in Hospital not to ask for any more pain pills than he was giving me..I'm taking muscle relaxers but not regularly as before...My shoulders and neck hurts when I lay in one position for a little while..Please any help needed..
    gsouth

------------------
    ACDF June 30 ,2003 c5/6 c6/7 w/hardware and donor bone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 10:23 AM   #2
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    I also had problems sleeping after coming off the pain meds - I took Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep and it worked. I read this on one of the internet sights I found to try the tylenol.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-27-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    I am going into my 4th week post op as well. Still taking pain meds AND sleeping pills. I am having difficulty sleeping(the most at once is 2 to 3 hours), but I am also having alot of difficulty with recovery.

I do know from past medical issues involving pain meds that it is normal to not sleep after you quit taking them(withdrawal symptoms). Your body will get back into it's own sleeping patterns soon enough. Hope this helped.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:09 PM   #4
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    Hi gsouth,

I'm right there with ya. At first, all I did was sleep, now I feel lucky to get a good night's sleep. I'm calling the doc tomorrow about it, but for now, I can tell you that a doctor told me when I had meningitis (years ago) that it's perfectly normal for sleep patterns to get messed up with any long term illness or recovery. So who knows...I'm going to ask the expert tomorrow (for sleeping pills!)

DebbieMc

Herniated discs at C4-5 & C5-6
    Spinal Cord compressed 5mm at C4-5, 7mm at C5-6 due to Spondylosis
    ACDF with Hardware at both levels on 07/01/03

Old 07-27-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    Thanks for all of the replies. I've tried tylenol PM but that didn't work..I'm going try MSM to see if that will work for me..If that doesn't do the trick I will also call my ns to see if he will give me something..My NS is really strange about giving meds. He just won't do it..

Old 07-27-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
    gsouth
    (female)

gsouth HB User
    O.K.. I'm ready with the MSM...But I don't know if I should take my muscle relaxer with it...Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Old 07-27-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    I got some help going to the Healthy Back Store in town and buying one of those special neck-supporting funny-looking type pillows. It cost more than I wanted to pay, but I sleep 8 hours, so I guess it was worth it.

jdog

Old 07-28-2003, 06:19 AM   #8
    DariusTDog

DariusTDog HB User
    gsouth-

I know what you are going through. I'm almost 5 months post-op and still can't sleep. If I'm in bed for 9 hours, I might get 2-3 hours of sleep. Coming off the pain pills after being on them for an extended period of time was awful. I just had a sleep study done at the request of my GP. She wanted the study done prior to prescribing any medications. Now she might try putting me back on Trazodone, which is the only thing so far that has allowed me to sleep. Personally, I agree with your NS in that I never want to take any meds that I don't need, and it takes quite a while for your sleep to get back to normal after so many meds. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make it much longer! Not sleeping is definitely killing me... making my job more difficult and slowing my recovery. Well, I hope you can manage to get through this... you're not alone.

Tone

------------------
    ACDF C4-5 w/locking plate and allograft
    3-18-2003

Old 07-28-2003, 08:41 AM   #9
    AmyVirginia

AmyVirginia HB User
    Red face

Warning! Be carfeul with the pain meds! I just got off them after 10 weeks post op. Vicodin - which your body can get dependent on very quickly. I had bad withdrawls....but weaned off and am now completely off after 10 days of weaning. Never STOP completely on your pain meds if you have been taking them for over 3-4 weeks. Wean down!

Closed Thread