It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• EEK -Will you ever put your neck in that sink?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
    Cathric
    (female)

Cathric HB User
    Question EEK -Will you ever put your neck in that sink?

Just a silly question -- During my healing my wonderful hairdresser came to my house to color my hair. I rinsed the color off in the shower which worked fine. I obviously can't continue doing this so just wondering how long it took before any woman went to the salon and put their neck in that nasty hard little sink. EEK!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
    Bellybuttonlover

Bellybuttonlover HB User
    Talking

Hi Cathric~~

I still have not attempted it!!

I have been cutting my own bangs!

HINT!! do not try this after a glass of wine!!

As far as any colour is concerned.......i am in dire need! I am sure I have receicved many of these new grey ones since surgery!!

Hope all is well!

I was in Phx. last weekend @ thought of you!
    I even thought of Cheesecake!

Peace!

BBL

Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hair? What hair? Mine is falling out... confirmed by both my hairdresser and my "dernatologist" (hey, do ya like that typo?)... the dermatologist says it's probably from the stress of all the STUFF I've been going through.

'Scuse me... I'm just gonna go into the back room here and lie down; it's getting late, and I'm pooped out. Need my beauty rest more than ever!

Won't be around much this next week, but I'll try to peek in once in a while.
    wr

PS... Oh, I did go put my neck into that little sink at about 2 months. And let me warn ya... don't try to go for a mammogram for at least four or five months!

[This message has been edited by winged phantom (edited 07-26-2003).]

Old 07-25-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    Oh my!...I hadn't thought of that. I already look like a shaggy dog! Getting used to the ponytail!

Old 07-26-2003, 07:04 AM   #5
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hi Cathric,

I got my hair cut three days before surgery and then again at four months postop. My hair was a terrible mess. I absolutely was not able to put my neck in that little depression. I rested the bottom of my skull in the depression and just left that part unwashed (I had washed my hair earlier in the day anyway). The girl knew about my situation and took very good care of me. Hope that helps.

Old 07-26-2003, 07:19 AM   #6
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Hi Cathric,
    The salon where I go have chairs that you dont need to bend the neck. They are great. If your ever in my area (Staten Island).....we can go get haircuts together lol...............

Lori
    feel better soon!!!!

Old 07-26-2003, 10:08 AM   #7
    Cathric
    (female)

Cathric HB User
    Thanks for all your good responses. I'm asking because I have a hair appointment next week and I really need it. She does have a rubber piece that fits over the neck area that will help immensely but....

My plan is to attempt the 'head/neck in sink' approach and if I can't take it I guess she will need to hose the color off my shoulder length hair in the parking lot!!! LOL Hey, Harvey could use his fire hose!

Ah…its h*ll being a woman – especially with gray hair and a metal neck!

Cathric

[This message has been edited by Cathric (edited 07-26-2003).]

Old 07-26-2003, 11:30 AM   #8
    Lake Lizzard

Lake Lizzard HB User
    Hi All,

After read this, I have just one thing to say;

THANK GOD I'M A MALE!!!

Happy Hairdressing:clown

Old 07-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #9
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Yes Lake Lizard, be glad your male cause putting your head in that sink is murder.

I havn't missed a regular hair appointment since herniating my disc's 2 months ago & the 1st time I went I just rested my skull on the rim. The hairdresser was furious cause when she rinsed she drowned the backside of me, lol. I really think she was more upset about it than me, Cat

Oh, P.S. Make sure you take lots of good drugs before you go cause that rim really, & I mean really, is a pain inducer.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    I go to my niece and I warned her ahead of time I may not like it and she would have to come up with a different way. I let her wet my hair but to put the shampoo and rinse on I sat upright. I told her I could take it for a short period of time only. She obliged and ran into no problems. Of course I did get wetter than normal but she used the hairdrier to dry my back.

I went to her at 8 weeks after surgery. She did cut my hair when I had the brace on but I would not let her wash it at that time.

[This message has been edited by more (edited 07-27-2003).]

Old 07-28-2003, 12:27 AM   #11
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi everyone,
    I am terrified of that sink double eeeewuuuek! I got my streaks done before surgery and every time (used to leave it as long as I sould like 4 months)I got a shocker headache and neck pain. I will have to do something at home but not sure what yet. My hair is currently like a scarecrow(5 days post op)tied up in a fat bun that resembles a ilght globe!
    Mel

Old 07-28-2003, 06:45 AM   #12
    DebbieMc

DebbieMc HB User
    lol...you girls are funny. Just makes me glad I had the forsight to have my hair cut the day before surgery! Luckily my hair is blonde and it's turning white, not gray so it looks like natural streaks...so I don't have to go down that path! I've fixed my hair maybe 3 times in the past 28 days and didn't even recognize me in the mirror when I did fix it! The dogs even barked at me...lol Ponytails and headbands are wonderful things!

Herniated discs at C4-5 & C5-6
    Spinal Cord compressed 5mm at C4-5, 7mm at C5-6 due to Spondylosis
    ACDF with Hardware at both levels on 07/01/03

Old 07-28-2003, 09:21 AM   #13
    Cathric
    (female)

Cathric HB User
    Talking

I had my hair cut/colored 2 days before the surgery but unfortunetly my hair (gray and auburn!) grows FAST! Thankfully, my hairdresser colored and cut my hair again before my family reunion a few weeks ago. I must go this week as the gray halo effect is very visable and really irks me! AHA! Yeah, maybe I should go blond and let the gray look like streaks/frosting! Being auburn haired (mostly!) with green eyes I don't think I could carry it off.

A number of you suggested that I rest the bottom of my scull in the sink - that's what I had suggested to my salon but I think this makes them nervous. I don't care if I get wetter - this is Phoenix so it would be refreshing!

They worked around dealing with the brain surgery last year and that was more complicated....there's always an answer so I'm sure we can work this out.

I'm still partial to Harvey's firehose technique - only one rinse would be needed!

Closed Thread