It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Shoulder Pain could it be spine related?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
    Mags H
    (female)

Mags H HB User
    Shoulder Pain could it be spine related?

I have had right shoulder pain for 6 months now, it goes down my whole arm. My pinky and ring finger have had the tingling sensation off and on for years though, the pain in my shoulder has spread to the back shoulder blade area also and part of my clavicle. The pain will keep me up at night and its just intense aching, now random shooting pains have started and Ive noticed a little above midway of back it feels like Im being stung by bees in one spot over an over, lasts anywhere from 15 sec to 2 min. I do have a labral (sp.) tear that I have had for about 5 years, and tendonitis, I think the scariest new thing is over the past two weeks sporadically I have weakness in my hand, I can't grip anything, example tried to grab my comforter and pull it up on me and could not! Husband had to do it....any ideas? The pain is starting to wear me down and some of the symptoms are just down right freaky, if anyone has insight would be greatly appreciated, ohh Im 31 and was in the Army for 7 years also I have a 4 year old son :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User
    Re: Shoulder Pain could it be spine related?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mags H View Post
    I have had right shoulder pain for 6 months now, it goes down my whole arm. My pinky and ring finger have had the tingling sensation off and on for years though, the pain in my shoulder has spread to the back shoulder blade area also and part of my clavicle. The pain will keep me up at night and its just intense aching, now random shooting pains have started and Ive noticed a little above midway of back it feels like Im being stung by bees in one spot over an over, lasts anywhere from 15 sec to 2 min. I do have a labral (sp.) tear that I have had for about 5 years, and tendonitis, I think the scariest new thing is over the past two weeks sporadically I have weakness in my hand, I can't grip anything, example tried to grab my comforter and pull it up on me and could not! Husband had to do it....any ideas? The pain is starting to wear me down and some of the symptoms are just down right freaky, if anyone has insight would be greatly appreciated, ohh Im 31 and was in the Army for 7 years also I have a 4 year old son :-)
    I have the same issues - pain in the upper back near the scapula, down the arm, and a labral tear and rotator cuff tendonitis. However, a cervical MRI revealed some probable nerve compression from C5 - C7 in my neck, which would cause symptoms of pain in the upper back and down the arm.

You should probably get a cervical MRI and have a doctor who specializes in spine surgery or a neurologist look at your neck. If it is not clear whether the nerve compression is coming from the neck or the shoulder, some diagnostic injections may help narrow down the source. Weakness in your hand could be a sign of spinal cord compression, so I would definitely get your cervical spine checked out. The earlier you deal with it, the more chance you have of the nerve recovering successfully.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
    Mags H
    (female)

Mags H HB User
    Re: Shoulder Pain could it be spine related?

Thank you so much for the insight, thinking I should def. have that explored, things are getting worse.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mags H:
    CT06405 (02-11-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    hand weakness, stinging pain