It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Myelogram

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
    sroman127
    (female)

sroman127 HB User
    Question Myelogram

My doctor wants me to have a Myelogram. I had surgery on C5-C6 in Feb., now he said my MRI shows something abnormal on the right. He says he cannot tell what it is from the MRI. I do not want the Myelogram and was wondering if anyone knows of any other tests. I really want to know what the problem is, but I just can't go for a Myelogram at this time. I never had a problem on my right side until after I had surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 08:09 AM   #2
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    sroman~

I believe that a myleogram is the best test to have as it will show everything. Please try to make the time to have one, your health is very important. My MRI showed only bulging discs. It was when I went for the myleogram that they saw the herniated disc, pinched nerves, etc. I had a cervical myleogram and was only off my feet for two days. The second day I rested because I had a slight headache.

Good luck to you~

Old 08-02-2003, 08:22 AM   #3
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Sroman,

A myelogram is one of the only and best ways to see the anatomy of the spine. while the test can be uncomfortable, it is very important. My biggest piece of advice is to not lay down for 8 hours after the exam. By strictly following my doctor's orders I had no prolonged discomfort or headache. Horizontal = Bad.

Good luck!

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 08-02-2003, 03:28 PM   #4
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Question for Bruce.... Why should you NOT lay down for 8 hours after a myelogram?? I am scheduled for one on the 18th, and they told me to lay down afterwards for 24 - 48 hours, but on a couple of pillows. Thanks Babs
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 08-02-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Babs!

I just discussed this will the radiologist last week when I went for my final x-rays. I asked out of curiosity as I had read so many horror stories on line and I told him about the seeming contradicting opinions on the board. He just shook his head and re-iterated what he had told me. You are left with a puncture wound that heals best if you sit upright for 8 hours with good lower back support and under no circumstances was I to get horizontal and he wasn't talking about sex. I must say, it felt great when I finally did hit the bed.

I went to work the next day but no running or exercise for a few days. As if I could anyway.

In my case all turned out okay. Ask your doc, don't be shy. I went to a top notch facility and I really valued their opinions (spoken like a true NY snob , eh?)

Nice to see you around,

Bruce

------------------

Old 08-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #6
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Smile

Thanks Bruce ! I appreciate the feedback. May I ask a little more about the lower back support. Not only the cervical problems, but I also have lumbar disc herniations which have been pretty good for a while, however this past weekend my lower back went out and caused MAJOR PAIN. It took me 7 months to agree to this myelogram and I am so mad my back went out. Does the myelogram injection go into the lumbar area, and will it set off spasms if you are prone to lower back pain. I think I have the pain under control now, but I admit I dont want to set it off again.

PS Bruce, it's really nice to see you posting again. I am sorry to hear of all that you have been going through. Trust that God will get you through it. There is a really good book called "Care of the Soul" by Thomas Moore. It helped me through some rough times. Glad to hear that your surgery was successful !! Take Care Babs
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 08-03-2003, 04:47 AM   #7
    sroman127
    (female)

sroman127 HB User
    Thank you for all of your help! I have a problem because I have had panic disorder for about 14 years now. I developed panic disorder after my two year old died from cancer and then one month later I had to have surgery. Ever since then anything that has to do with medical can really set off my anxiety. I am still trying to recover after surgery and still having to take xanax for my nerves. I am walking a fine line right now trying to battle back from having a real big problem with anxiety. I have 3 young kids and my dad was just diagnosed with cancer, my mom is being checked for mini strokes. They live with me and I take care of them. Sorry to ramble, but I know my body and mind. After dealing with this for all these years, if I do have the myelogram I may well end up with serious panic issues. I am in between a rock and a hard place and I do not know what I am going to do. I am in more pain now than before I had surgery and any type of movement can set off problems. My NS is excellent and very highly recommended, but I know I will not come out of this test without really having a big problem with my anxiety. Anyway, I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2003, 11:22 AM   #8
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Babs,

Thanks for the words of support they are appreciated. It feels good to be back among the living. I like T. Moore too.

The puncture for the myelogram was done in the lumbar region. They then tilt you every which way to get the dye to distribute. That was the only uncomfortable part for me as I was unable to move my arm the way they wanted; they eventually did it for me.

I do not have lumbar issues and our discussions about lumbar support were purely meant for post-test recovery. The goal was to immobilize the puncture area in a vertical position so the "hole" could get a good jump on closing.

My only mistake was the day after the test when I ran through the office to get a phone - it felt a little strange.

Since I was never told I couldn't, I medicated before the test otherwise I wouldn't have been able to move. I also treated myself to a couple of happy pills.

Look at it this way- nothing they do to you will be worse than you are already experiencing - You too sroman!! And, in the long run it may very well help.

Sroman,

Just reading what you're going through has caused me to need a xanax. I hate to fall back on a cliche, but these things do happen for a reason and they are already making you a stronger person. Besides, you DO know what to do - you're here on the board. I'm thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

Take care,
    Bruce

------------------

Old 08-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #9
    sroman127
    (female)

sroman127 HB User
    Bruce
    They do say that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger! I guess whoever said that one knew what they were talking about!

Thanks,
    sroman

Old 08-03-2003, 11:41 AM   #10
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    sroman~ I understand your anxiety and I feel for you. I'm not sure if this will help but they gave me something to relax through my IV before it.

Also in regards to laying down after a myleogram. You can lie down , but you have to prop your head up(kinda like a reclining position). Also, it is VERY important NOT to bend over at all!!!! The contrast fluid will rush to your head and cause a deafening headache!!!!!!!! If you follow everything to a tee, you'll be fine. DRINK ALOT OF WATER before the test and after!!!!

[This message has been edited by AngelicMoon (edited 08-03-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #11
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Smile

Hi All,

My understanding is that while they do not want dye traveling to the brain, a spinal headache is caused by the changes in spinal fluid pressure due to leakage from the hole. . Just my two cents. see this article:

[url="http://www.spine-health.com/topics/diag/diag05.html"]http://www.spine-health.com/topics/diag/diag05.html[/url]

The thought of needing a blood patch to relieve a headache scared me straight.

Bruce

------------------

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 08-03-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #12
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    Bruce~
    I apologize if I seemed to be contradicting you. That is not the case at all. I was merely posting what was told to me. You are right about the spinal fluid as well. You are not supposed to lie flat at all, that is why I said you can lay down, but have your head propped up.

Again, I am sorry if it sounded like I was saying you were wrong.

*hugs*
    ~Kat~

Old 08-03-2003, 06:16 PM   #13
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Kat,

No apology necessary. We are on the same page. I was just clarifying. It was worth it though for the hug!

Bruce

------------------

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 08-03-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 06:18 PM   #14
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    Bruce~

Ok then here's a bigger one...*HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS*

Old 08-03-2003, 08:51 PM   #15
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Anxiety can be a pretty disabling thing. Maybe you could talk to your NS about it and have them give you something to stop the panic before it starts. Bless your heart, you have been through so much, but the myleo is the "gold standard" for finding out what's what in the spine.

Bruce,

I had the spinal headache after a spinal tap, not fun at all. The blood patch was a piece of cake, once I made it to the hospital. Instant relief.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Closed Thread