It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Only sweat on one side of face

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2003, 03:55 PM   #1
    LastCaress

LastCaress HB User
    Post Only sweat on one side of face

When I was four years old, I was shot, and suffered a spinal cord injury. I'm 14 now, and I've had an amazing recovery.

However, I've noticed some changes. For one, ever since the accident one of my pupils is bigger than the other. I don't mind that much, I think it's awesome . But, I don't find the fact that i only sweat on one side of my face..acctually, my body. I seem to sweat twice as much as I should if I sweated on both sides of my face.

I find it quite unattractive, since I get hot and sweat so easily.

Does anyone know of ANYTHING that can help me? Possibly be able to sweat on both sides too? I need to cool off!

------------------
    Run, Jackie, Run!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Now that's a strange one! Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this, but I'd strongly recommend getting a professional opinion on that one. I'd have to believe it has something to do with your nervous system due to your injury. That's terrible about your accident, especially at such a young age. Are you wheelchair bound or are you able to function normally? I have to commend you on your positive outlook on life, it will take you very far in all areas of life. As a matter of fact, it's the single most important factor I look for when I hire people.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
    Shaman

Shaman HB User
    Sounds lie Horners syndrome to me, which can be caused by nerological damage (usually to the neck, but sometimes other causes). The pupil size difference and sweating on only one side are classic symptoms. I wish I knew more about any possible cures available, but maybe it will help to have a place to start researching.

Hope this helps

Old 05-26-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi LastCaress,

Welcome aboard...I'm so sorry for what happened to you...I'm with Keith...this is a strange one and I too would recommend seeking a professional opinion...Please keep us posted and let us know how you're doing.

Take care
    Joanne

------------------
    • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
    • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
    • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
    • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:27 PM   #5
    LastCaress

LastCaress HB User
    Hey guys, thanks for replying.

No, I am not wheelchair bound. However, I drag my right foot when I walk, due to a tight hamstring, etc. I've had numerous operations, which have helped, but to no avail have they "cured me".

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to look it up. Anymore info would be great too!

Old 05-28-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
    janie francine

janie francine HB User
    Lastcaress,

Wow! What an amazing attitude! I'm relatively new to the board and have not had surgery yet. But you've come to the right place. The world needs people like you.

Best Wishes,
    Janie Francine

Old 08-04-2003, 01:59 PM   #7
    ShaneG

ShaneG HB User
    Hello all,
    I too sweat on one side of my face only.
    I have always wondered why?
    When I was a baby I had some surgery so maybe some nerves were damaged? would this cause it, If not what are other possible causes.
    Is it harmful? and is there any cure?

Old 08-04-2003, 02:10 PM   #8
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    I really know nothing about nerves and sweating, but I would think that you had some kind of gland damage since that is what controls sweating. I would ask a doctor.
    Good luck to you~I hope you find the answers you need.

Closed Thread