It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• KAISER PERMANENTE-California

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
    em200001

em200001 HB User
    Angry KAISER PERMANENTE-California

Hi everyone. Basically, I am trying to find out if any one is having problems with Kaiser Permanente as I am. Kaiser has been made aware of my back problems that appeared via some kind of paralysis on 8/26/02 and have been in and out of the hospital for at least 7 times. 3 out of the 7 times, Kaiser staff over dozed me and the last time I was there a couple of months ago, I almost did not make it out. In addition, Kaiser failed to diagnose my condition for 6 months and not until I left the country to seek outside help from my cousin who is a neurosurgeon of the spine and brain that I found out exactly what is wrong with my back. I am suffering from Spondylosis, with fractures at L5-S1 and nerve impingement. I confronted Kaiser with my findings and they told me that they knew that I had the condition that my cousin found but that they did not believe that, that is what is causing my pain. Some of their Neurologists claim that my condition is all in my head and that all the tests are negative. So, I asked how could that be, if I had proof that there was something wrong. The X-rays clearly show that there is a problem that they continue to ignore. Further, my condition is due to a fall from 30 steps in height when I was 16 years old and from a couple of rear end collisions that I have been involved in. Further, when I suffered those accidents, I was told by doctors that I had this present condition, but that I was too young for surgery, this is back in 1985-86 and that there was a great possibility that my condition would cure itself. Well on 8/26/02 it back fired as I ended up in the hospital when it felt like paralysis as I was stuck in one position and could not move. Kaiser now refuses to accept the fact that the only cure for me is surgery and that my condition is due to accidents and not a birth defect as they recently called it. They further continue to ignore my pain, treat me with Morphine, Methadone and 17 other medications but the pain continues. In addition to their negligence, I had a Nerve Conduction Study which was done by 2 interns, doctors in training, once they were done, I was worse than before I walked in. I have the worse luck with Kaiser, they continue to use interns to treat me and no wonder why they can never get a good diagnosis. They further reject independent doctors opinions and as such, continue to refuse to correct the problem that patients have. I am one of those unlucky patients who continues to be used as an experiment. The funny thing is, they have never asked me whether I agree to their experiments and if I am ok with them using interns instead of real doctors when examining me. They sure take good care to protect themselves from law suits as they always make you sign their authorizations and waivers so that you will be stuck with an arbitration clause should they killed you. And of course, the Arbitration process is in the bag for them as they rather pay off some retired judge to rule against you than to rule for you. In any event I am looking to get some advice, some input and maybe if some one has had bad experiences with Kaiser, if they could tell me how they went about resolving their issues with Kaiser. I will really appreciate any advice some may have for me. Thank you all and hope to hear from some of you soon!!.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
    jbell95

jbell95 HB User
    Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences. I'm not dealing with Kaiser, but a different monster, the worker's compensation system.

I have spondylosis and DDD of my lower spine along with other problems and I also have doctors, PAs, nurses, people that slept at a Holiday Inn, etc telling me that my condition can not be causing the pain and problems that I have.

Search the web, educate yourself on your condition, keep a pain diary of the things that aggrivate you and keep asking questions, have a list prepared when you go to the doctor. Tell them what you want and need. Don't accept that it's all in your head. Keep fighting and don't give up.

There are others on this board that will have more suggestions and advice for you as well. There's a wealth of information on this board. Ask questions, rant, rave, keep in touch, you are not alone. Jaz.

------------------
    C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
    C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
    C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
    C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
    C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
    C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
    C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
    C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
    C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
    C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
    C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
    bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 04-17-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
    em200001

em200001 HB User
    Smile

Thanks for replying. I am sorry to hear about your troubles with Workers Comp. I do hope that you have good Workers Comp. Lawyer. I am a Litigation Paralegal who use to work with Work Comp., Lawyers who are very good at working the Work Comp. system here in California. I don't know of any good one's in Georgia but I am sure that if you look, you will find a good one and/or if you already have a good one then just keep fighting the system. Work Comp. cases here in California last any where from 1 year to 10 years. So, it is a fight and make sure that if you end up with a medical condition that may require surgery in the future, make sure that you ask your lawyer to get you life time medical through Workers Comp., before signing any documents to settle the case. Don't make the mistake I made when I was 16. I was told by my lawyer that I was young and that my condition would go away with time. That lawyer did not fight for me and he did not get me life time medical, instead, he settled my case for $1,500.00, peanuts. But then again, I was only 16, so I did not know better. You do, so make sure you get everthing you are entitled to before signing anything. Once again, thanks for replying, thanks for the advice and hope that your condition gets better soon. Take care.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:05 AM   #4
    20carfan

20carfan HB User
    Hi em200001,

I see you are in CA. Do you know by any chance if the state has any limitations on how long opposing lawyers can drag out w.comp cases. I tried to searh on their site but its so confusing.

Thank you

Old 08-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
    dylan C5-6

dylan C5-6 HB User
    Hi- I am dealing with Kaiser/workmens comp case as well. So far so good.

I am going for my 1st epidural on the 12th. My DR. says surgery(ACDF w/fusion)would only have a 50% chance of helping. After lurking around here I think his honesty is refreshing. If the shot(s) do not help he will refer me to a NS.

Never sign off your medical in a workmens comp. case!
    Peace!
    John

------------------
    Hit in head by freight Elevator last August.
    HNP C5-6 Small to Moderate in size, eccentric to the right and right paracentral in location. Associated nerve root displacement especially on the right. Associated effacement of the subarachnoid space @ C5-6. on root nerve.**Can someone explain the above?**

Cervical Radiculopathy.
    Chronic Cervicogenic Headaches.

Past Meds:
    Elavil, Reglan, Relafen, Flexeril.
    Now Taking:
    Nortriptyline, Feldene & Trazodone. Vicodin no more than twice a week.
    Pnuematic traction unit
    zero gravity chair
    Scheduled for 1st Epidural 8.12.03

Cervical Radiculopathy.
    Chronic Cervicogenic Headaches.
    1 Epidural(did not help)
    ACDF W/donor bone & hardware 10.24.03
    Sent Home 10.26.03 & then back Via Hellicopter for 2 more Nights.
    Miami J collar 4 weeks
    Fused @ 4 weeks!
    3 weeks PT

Old 08-05-2003, 07:54 PM   #6
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Hi EM

I have a question for you as I'm not familar with your area in CA. If your unhappy with the medical treatment &/or incompentancy of Kaiser why do you continue to see him? Is it because your insurance dictates this?

Not trying to be negative here, but 1 thing I have learned in life in my health is my #1 priority & I will do anything & everything to make sure I get the proper medical care.

Also, have you reported him to your state's Board of Healing Arts? That would be a good place to start. You may have a medical malpractice case on your hands.

I hope you get the proper medical attention you need. Suffering needlessly is unbearable & I sure wouldn't wish it one anyone. Cat

Closed Thread