It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Well, found out the cause of my neck pain& need massive good thoughts. Not good news.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
    Kortney

Kortney HB User
    Unhappy Well, found out the cause of my neck pain& need massive good thoughts. Not good news.

I scraped up half the office visit, my mom paid the other half to see my internist. He's a nice guy, good doc.

Long story short is the pain in front of my throat on the right, facial pain on the right, muscle spasm, etc doesn't have one thing to do with my neck directly really.

One look in my mouth was all it took. Large mass in the back of my throat, right tonsil area. When I stuck my tongue out ( something I love to do to doctors anyways! ) my left side is *normal* in that you can't see the tonsil. It isn't inflammed, nothing abnormal.

Right side, different story. All you see is in the area in the back of my tongue, where the tonsil area is, just one mass pushing out from the side.

Down into my throat is a little sore on that side, swollen lymph nodes under my chin on that side, 1 in my neck on the side, one behind the ear.

He did plain view films of my neck they looked pretty good. Xrayed my sinuses 3 views including a waters view, they're clear. Looked in my ears, little clear fluid, no infected fluid.

He said whatever is going on in that mass area is causing pain like referred pain.

I didn't know it was there. I mean, it's not like I check out my throat and stick my tongue out at myself every day and things like that.

I've been a little hoarse lately, slight cough but I figured it was from allergies. I've always had trouble with allergies, all my life ya know? Especially where I live it's hot and humid every single summer we hit 100+ degrees with heat indexes.

He wanted to know how much I smoke and I was honest with him. 2 packs a day. I've smoked since I was 15 years old.

He says that whole area needs to be removed and biopsied asap because it just looks ugly. The lymph nodes have to come out too and I need a CT or MRI of my head/neck area. He said the whole thing just doesn't look good. I asked him to please, just be honest, tell me what it looks like. He said cancer.

I'm only 32 years old. I have a little girl. It's just the 2 of us except my mom and family.

My aunt is an oncology nurse here. We talked to her, she looked at it for me. She started to cry. We're real close. I remember being 7 years old and at the graduation when she graduated nursing school. Now she's a nurse practicioner for Baptist Cancer clinic here. Has been for 10+ years.

I have applied for state assistance but the process is slow for medicaid, etc. We can't pay out of pocket for all the tests, etc. Biopsies. That costs tons of money.

My aunt did tell me if push comes to shove in the next week, we can probably get either an ENT or, one of oncologists at her office to do a direct admit and get me a social worker upon arrival and they can get the ball moving real, real fast and run it thru like an emergency or something. She said social workers know the ropes and know how to do that.

I am not allowed to have any aspirin, no NSAIDS. Nothing that will thin the blood because when I go in and they start cutting the stuff out, they don't want me on those meds.

I am still on Neurontin because it does help a little with the nerve type pain in my face, prevents migraines, etc. It does help me with that. He gave me some lidocaine viscous I can swish and spit out for the throat pain when it gets bad.

I asked about another MRI of my neck and he told me he does not doubt at all my neck hurts. Disc bulges can cause pain in alot of people and then there are some with it and it does not cause pain.

My doc said I need to put all my focus and energy into dealing what what's been tossed at me now because that disc bulge may be the least of my worries.

I just don't what to think at this point. It's alot to take in at one time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
    HERMIT
    Inactive

HERMIT HB User
    Thumbs up

Man--Kortney--that is a real blow all right. As for dealing with it--I don't know what to say. I know how I felt getting a biopsy the same day my son was being born. It was a big neck swelling also. The good news it wasn't cancer. I got that one out and the next MRI showed two brain tumors--went in to get the big one taken out and a pre surgery MRI showed a huge spinal cord tumor. They cancelled my head and sent me to Toronto to remove the spinal cord tumor.
    I guess what I am trying to say is expect the worst--but it may not be what you think. Even if it is--sounds like they caught it early. I had my first surgery at 23---I am still here 13 years later.
    The best thing to do is get your affairs in order. I was dumb--we'd just bought a house and thought I would NEVER need disability insurance on the mortgage.
    Check out all your policies and get them ready.
    Make a list of all the questions you have for your doctor--as you will come out forgetting everything you wanted to ask. I can't believe he never gave you something for the pain.
    Keep a good attitude about the whole thing and hopefully things turn out to be something else. I am pullin for you here and keep us posted.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:30 PM   #3
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Cool

oops

[This message has been edited by BamaPeach (edited 06-28-2003).]

Old 06-28-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Cool

Hi dear,
    I am so sorry for all that you are having to deal with. Remember, even though it does not seem like it, that the Lord will not put us through more than we can bear. I had an old aunt that , when I was feeling overwhelmed with four children would remind me that he would not trust me with them if he did not think me capable of it. Having recently had a cancer scare myself I truly understand. Thanks to the Lord for on my part everything came out ok at the moment but we continue to watch. My Lymph count is elevated and my father had Lymphoma, but we all just take it as it comes. My favorite passage is Isaih 40 28-31 Hast thou not known? Hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God the Lord, the creator of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary. There is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint, and to those who have no might he increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall. But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew theri strength; they shall mount up with the wings like eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. I apologize to those who do not believe and for some reason I felt the urge to share this with you (Those God nudges, you know). I am praying that you and your family stay strong through this and (here is the hard part) his will be done.
    Hugs and special prayers to you
    Ginny

------------------
    "The only thing neccessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"

ACF June 18, 2003 C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 with bone donor and hardware

Old 06-28-2003, 04:45 PM   #5
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Kortney, my prayers are with you. God works in mysterious ways, having the back problems got you to get this new diagnosis. You may have overlooked it too long if not for the other trouble. Your posting is helping others, we who smoke need to stop! We are here for you and will be supporting you all the way for a positive outcome!!!! Put your health first and demand whatever treatment you deserve!!! cj

Old 06-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #6
    Cathric
    (female)

Cathric HB User
    Kortney,

This must be overwhelming for you. Thankfully, it sounds like you have good family support. This site is more family support - stay in touch because we care very much. You are in my thoughts. Take care.

Old 06-28-2003, 08:21 PM   #7
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Kortney,

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Yes, if you need to be admitted, they can help you apply for Medicaid right there in the hospital, especially with the nature of your illness AND that you have a daughter. The social service department will help you fill out the application.

In our state, they do what they call a Medicaid spend-down. You go ahead and get your treatment, at no cost to you, the hospital submits your Medicaid app, you keep your appt with the Medicaid office they will give you, and then you are approved.

I have done this with many patients and I don't think you will have any problems getting coverage for your treatment.

Hope that lifts your burden a little, and I am also praying to the Father that the biopsy will be negative when you have it.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 06-28-2003, 09:58 PM   #8
    bdb

bdb HB User
    I am so sorry to hear what you are going to have to go through. I do hope that your aunt can help in some way. Maybe even get you in quicker then if you went through the normal channels.
    Good luck with it. I will keep my fingers crossed that this is a just a scare and not the real thing.
    bdb

Old 06-29-2003, 05:14 AM   #9
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hi Kortney,

You certainly have put things into perspective.

You and your little girl will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Memer

Old 06-29-2003, 06:37 AM   #10
    lifeonhold2003
    (female)

lifeonhold2003 HB User
    Life sure has a way of throwing us the most unexpected turns. You just concentrate on doing what you need to do to get through this (from an emotional and medical standpoint). Don't stress over the financial aspects, that will fall into place. Just remember, you have a special little girl that needs you very much, now and for many, many years to come. You just pull from the strength and love from your family. As someone mentioned above, try not to expect the worse. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Julie

4/23/03 - Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/Fusion C5/6 - donor bone with titanium plate, 4 screws, no collar post-op

Old 06-29-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
    Orchrid Man

Orchrid Man HB User
    Unhappy

Kortney,
    Don't know what to say but you'll be in my prayers
    My http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif goes out to you and your little

Jim

[This message has been edited by Orchrid Man (edited 06-29-2003).]

C2-3, disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress
    C3-4, disc protrusion with bone spurs, neural foraminal narrowing.
    C4-5 large disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the cord, severe canal stenosis
    C5-6 disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the left cord, severe stenosis
    C6-7 disc protrusion with bone spurs but does not compress the cord, neural foraminal stenosis.
    C7-T1 is normal
    T2-3 disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress

Conclusion:
    Severe canal stenosis secondary to disc protrusion at C4-5 and C5-6 with mild cord volume loss at these levels.

-Surgery Set for- 18 Sep 03-4 Level Lamin. with plating

Old 06-29-2003, 10:14 AM   #12
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Kortney,
    I wish i was better with words, because right now I feel completly inadequate to express my feelings to you . I cannot pretend to know what you are going thru at this time, I can only imagine how devastated you must feel , but my heart goes out and just breaks for the stress you are going thru and to have to fight for medical coverage at the same time.What a system of beurocratic nonsense when it comes to health care,in our civilized nations. Thank goodness you have a supportive family, and someone in the health care field to help guide you thru the red tape.
    I will hold you in my thoughts and prayers, let us know of any way we can help.
    Mel

------------------
    Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
    Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
    loss of lordotic curve
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 06-29-2003, 11:52 AM   #13
    janie francine

janie francine HB User
    Dear Kortney,

This has to be overwhelming. I can't imagine what you're going through. I didn't know what to say to you, so I went to the Book of Common Prayer and found this. I hope you receive some comfort from it. Know that we are all here and praying for you. Prayer is a very powerful thing.

Almighty God our heavenly Father, graciously comfort you servant Kortney in her suffering, and bless the means made use of for her cure. Fill her heart with confidence that, though at times she may be afraid, she yet may put her trust in you.

God Bless you, honey
    Jeanine

Old 06-29-2003, 08:00 PM   #14
    ajfinsand

Kortney,

That is a LOT to be dealing with. I know that they have tightened things up as far as social assistance goes in the last few years, but they should be able to push your assistance through fast due to the medical emergency. I was a single parent too, and 7 years ago had to have an emergency hysterectomy and would be off work for two months afterwards. I only had two weeks to prepare for my time off and I did manage to get the assistance that I was eligable for pushed through in that time. Be relentless and don't let them discourage you..........and try to quit smoking a.s.a.p......please????????

love and prayers,

aj in Oregon

------------------
    ~ 48 year old female; currently self-employed as an artist/designer/woodcrafter.
    ~ Previously worked in the restaurant biz for 27 years (not so good for someone with a bad back!)
    ~ Hereditary and congenital scoliosis, but it never caused any problems until I was 40+ years old.
    ~ 76 degree curvature had increased 2 degrees in two years 1999-2001; indicating surgery was necessary.
    ~ Surgery in March of 2001.
    ~ Fusion and insturmentation of C7 - T9.
    ~ Fourth rib removed; 5th and 6th rib cut back halfway; removed ribs were morselized and used for the grafting, plus additional bone harvested from hip.
    ~ After tthe hardware was attached, spine was straigntened 20+ degrees.
    ~ 2 weeks in the hospital.
    ~ Brace worn for five months. Bone growth stimulator device also worn several hours per day.
    ~ PT 5 mos. after surgery caused increased pain.
    ~ Follow-up surgery to remove hardware scheduled for Feb. 2002.
    ~ Round 2 of PT 2 mos. after hardware removal.
    ~ Medically released to return to full activity in July 2002.
    ~ Increased pain upon returning to regular work schedule.
    ~ Round 3 of PT in April/May 2003; continually increasing pain.

Old 06-30-2003, 07:42 AM   #15
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Kortney,
    So sorry to hear what has been thrown at you... I know it must be almost overwhelming, but know there are people here who can help you sort out your situation and your feelings. You know you will get a lot of support here.

God bless....
    wr

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

Closed Thread