It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Disc Hernination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2003, 10:21 AM   #1
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Question Disc Hernination

Everyone keeps telling me that with my disc's being totally herniated that I'm going to end up having surgery. Is this true? Is there any possiblity that I might heal on my own?

It's been 2 months now & am still on pain pills & muscle relaxers, although the epidurals have given me some relief.

Your opinions on this will be truly helpful, as I'm getting somewhat nervous about the whole situation.

Thanks Cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #2
    PainInTheNeckJackie
    Inactive

PainInTheNeckJackie HB User
    Hi Cat... I'm in the same boat with you... 2 months since diagnosed with 2 herniations, been doing the therapy, taking the pain meds but haven't tried the epidurals yet... but it look inevitable at this point. Keep you chin up and we'll get along.

Old 07-29-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
    AmyVirginia

AmyVirginia HB User
    What type of pain meds are you on and do you take them everyday? How long have you been taking them?

Old 07-29-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Hi again Jackie~~~Yes, I figured we'd get along great due to almost identical case histories.

Amy, I'm taking Vicoprofene & Skelexan. I take them every day, although I do try to fudge on the timing to check my pain level. I have been taking them since waking up the night of 5/25/03 with the Disc Herninations. Are you thinking it might be time to change to a different pain med?

Old 07-31-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
    SoniGailGordon

SoniGailGordon HB User
    Unhappy

Hello everyone,
    I was in such pain with my neck and down my left arm and now my hand goes to sleep. Had an MRI and it said that I had DDD, and the doctor told me I had herniated Disc's and a buldging disc which was also causing a pinched nerve; he never told me how many herniated disc he just said herniated disc's so I am just figuring more then one. I am scheduled for an appointment on August 8th and 8:00 a.m. with a Neurosurgeon, but for the mean time he has put me on Lortab 7.5 and also carisoprodol(pain pills and muscle relaxers), I can't stand the pain so I feel I have to take my Lortab 7.5 and also my muscle relaxer, I have no tollerance to pain(I am such a baby).
    I don't feel the Lortab 7.5 is doing any good but I am also afraid if I don't take it I will hurt worse then I do now; sometimes I wish someone would just shoot me and get me out of my mysery(just kidding).
    I also found out I have severe degenerative arthritis in my neck. I have been hurting like this since June 10th or 15th and then on June 30th I slipped on some mud in our driveway and then I couldn't even move my neck so that is when I had the x-ray's first and then 1 week later I had the MRI. Well I just wanted to post my reply because I just need to talk to someone who has the same pains as I do.
    Thank you for taking time to read my posting.
    Soni Gordon

Old 08-01-2003, 06:09 AM   #6
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Soni,

I feel just like you!!!! Seriously, when you said you wished someone would take you out back & shoot you~~~I don't know HOW many times I have thought that! LOL

As far as your pain......sounds right on with mine with the exception that my left hand & especially my index finger has been affected from the very beginning.

I'm still taking my pain pills & muscle relaxers & like you before I had my epidurals I felt like they were not doing anything. But now between the epidurals & the drugs I am getting some relief.

I did make a discovery yesterday (which I will post as a different topic, shortly) which I have been taking the MSM orally for about2 months now & it is helping, but yesterday I was in more pain than normally so I applied "Super Blue Stuff". Man, what a relief!!!.

You might look into getting some of that as well. It's basically topical MSM & it works great.

Good Luck on your NS appointment on the 8th & keep in touch~~~~~~sounds like we both have a lot in common regarding our necks, lol. Cat

Old 08-02-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Soni and Cat,

Don't be too hard on yourselves. Nerve pain is incredibly intense. Do what you need to do to get by.(I was on 70 mg + per day of percocet ). There is hope for some herniated discs. Just stick to your docs orders. The epidurals aren't that bad and may do the trick. My disc ruptured and I had no choice, but you may.

Isn't it incredible how one small finger could hurt so very much!!? I often thought my finger would just explode.

Hang tough, feel well...It gets better

Bruce :Wave:

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 08-02-2003, 09:21 PM   #8
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Hi Bruce

Thank you for your kind words & understanding. Your right it is incredible pain & the worst part of it is that your just plumb worn out from it. That's a hard pill to swallow for someone who is extremly active & always on the go.

Do have question for you. You mentioned you had ruptured disc & no choice. My 2 disc herniations are completely ruptured. Does that mean I'm going to have to have surgery in order to get well?

Hope you are feeling better. Cat

Old 08-03-2003, 04:55 AM   #9
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Cat,

My choice was really taken away by the nerve damage I had suffered which was worsening on a daily basis. As debilitating as my pain was, the loss of strength in my arm was the problem. I had surgery 6 weeks after the known onset of symptoms.

Everyone is different, so will have to wait and see how you respond to other therapies.

I'm feeling well, thank you. Still hoping for some more strength to return to my arm. I guess I'll have to wait and see too.

Be well,

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 08-03-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 08:23 AM   #10
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Thanks Bruce

You've put my mind at ease. I really do not want to have surgery & if I must I would like to at least wait until the FDA approves the ADR procedure here in the states. Why are we always the last to get the good stuff?, LOL.

Be well & hope the strenght returns to your arm soon. Cat

Old 08-06-2003, 01:48 AM   #11
    20carfan

20carfan HB User
    Hi Catgirl

Try not to worry about it too much (crazy advise I know) but if you're going to have the surgery you want your body in the best mental shape you can be in. I had one done with plate and all and other than lagging muscle spasms the intense pain is all gone.

Good luck and god bless!

Old 08-06-2003, 08:27 PM   #12
    tetons

tetons HB User
    I was reluctant to even have my first MRI because I was convinced it was just my shoulder. But then the arm and foot weakness started and the radiating pain started getting worse.I knew I had to have an MRI which showed all of my problems and I was scheduled for sx 6 weeks later due to physician going on vacation for two weeks. I did not have the numbness and weakness until about 1 1/2 after the shoulder pain started. It is a tough decision. Good luck with yours.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:49 PM   #13
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Hi 20carfan & Tetons

I hope you both are doing better now that you have had your surgeries. Thank you for your words of advice.

I'm trying not to worry. Tough for me as I tend to be a worry wart & I worry about everything.

But I'm trying to relax & follow doc's orders & after today I'm making a concious decision to make some definate changes in my life. I will be delegating a lot of my home responsiblities out from under me & start resting more.

Especially since I booked our airfare tonight for our vacation that I just realized is only a month away. I need to be as well as possible so that I can enjoy the purpose of our vacation. Rest, relaxation, soaking up the sunrays on a gorgeous beach & most of all scuba diving one of the best locations in the Carribean. I will be very disappointed if I am unable to scubadive on our trip, but as DH said last night, if I'm not well enough it's not worth a trip to the emergency room & he's right. I will just have to be happy with a little snorkling here & there & of course the gorgeous view.

Best wishes for both of you & I hope you are both recovering nicely. Cat

Old 08-07-2003, 08:27 PM   #14
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User
    Cat

What levels are your disks having problems at? I think there is some type of laser thing they can do for the lubar spine but it hasn't been approved for the cervical. The cervical is more tricky and it does take a long time to heal, but its a much different, less acute pain. I think if you have a really good surgeon that you trust its OK, I really trusted mine and while my neck and sholders still hurt my nerves to my hand don't act up that much anymore and I can hold a pencil (i couldn't before).

I hope you don't have to have surgery though, I think anytime you cut is bad. Lets hope your pain goes away and they can do traction or something less invasive.

Best
    Mdla

Old 08-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #15
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Hey thanks Mdla

I busted the 2 disc's at C5/6 & C6/7. Have done the PT & traction. In fact I just got done doing my strengthning exercises & tomorrow I'm picking up a home cervical traction unit that my doc prescribed.

I'm hoping with me laying off a lot of activities, continuing my stretches (every chance I get allllllll day long, lol), being more dilegent about my strengthning exercises & continuing with anything else I can think of that it might just be possible to achieve my goal of scuba diving on my vacation.

Can you tell I'm a fanatic, lol. Of course being a newbie at it & spending all this money for this trip doesn't help with my want~~~~~~~~~~~~oh, well *big sigh* I'll take whatever comes along even if it just means laying on the beach (at least I'm not at work.....hehehehehe).

So what are your injuries?

Closed Thread