It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• You have got to be kidding, A Brain MRI?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
    I'd rather be Running

I'd rather be Running HB User
    Angry You have got to be kidding, A Brain MRI?

Saw my neurosurgeon this week to go over my new MRI of my neck. I explained my symptoms and he has now ordered an MRI of my brain! He also ordered some new x-rays and another bone scan. He said that he wanted the new MRI since I have face parathesias (tingling and numbness). Well I explained that this just happens when my arms and hands have the same symptom, but he still wants to rule out "other conditions". I know what the other conditions are - brain tumor or MS. Just shoot me now if I have this screwed up neck and a brain disorder.
    Anyone experience similar symptoms with their face? Kind of this tingling, like something is crawling across your face. Maybe it is a medication side affect?
    So his office calls back and tells me that they can't get me in for an MRI for 1 month. This is a bunch of crap, since he is "requiring" the MRI be done at his hospital. I am pushing for the MRI to be done at a facility near my house, which has the bore MRI,does not make me claustrophobic and they can get me in right away. I said the deal is bore MRI now or no MRI. They are calling me back today. Maybe he will tell me to take a hike for being a pain in the butt. Oh well, I am just fed up with the dinking around with more tests.
    Now I vented!
    Holly

------------------
    C3-4 through C6-7 disc herniations, three with cord contact.
    C2-C7 Severe right facet degneration with significant forminal stenosis.
    C5-6 & C6-7 Severe spondylosis
    7/29/03 Foraminotomy with cord decompression C5/6,C6/7

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Holly,
    I sympathize with all this new, unknown stuff, plus not knowing exactly why the doctor wants you to use a specific machine. I know you'll make the best decisions you can under the circumstances... go with your gut feelings. Hang in there...
    wr

Old 05-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi Holly,

I too was sent for a brain MRI, in Oct 2002, because of facial pins and needles (at least that's how I described it to the docs). It was usually only on the right side of my face but more recently my nose on occasion as well and muscle twitching around the eye and or eyelid and or jaw line which was occurring almost daily to varying degrees. The last few months it hasnít been happening too often. This has been going on since June of last year. Oh...and at the time I was not on any meds. My neuro said the MRI showed nothing that could be causing my facial symptoms, and kinda left it at that. He has not looked into it any further. As you can see by my signature below, I do have some cervical problems. I tend to feel that this is the cause...but then what do I know. Please keep us posted....I am curios to see what your neuro says...this has kinda been a worry for me as well...I donít think Iíve been much help but at least know youíre not alone.

Take Care,
    Joanne

------------------
    • SeptĎ63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
    • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
    • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
    • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Old 05-22-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
    TStar4u

TStar4u HB User
    I had the same symptoms before surgery in April. I asked the NS about it and he told me that even though there is no neurological reason that alot of his patients complain of the same symptoms. I haven't felt that feeling since the surgery. I also had the same twitching with the eye lid and haven't had those since the surgery either. Sorry I don't have any more information. But I hope it helps to know that those feeling are not uncommon with neck problems. Good luck and try not to worry too much. Stress makes it worse.

------------------
    Twila
    ACDF C5/C6 with hardware-donor bone April 23,2003

Old 05-22-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
    Sulynn

Sulynn HB User
    Holly,
    I had a brain MRI before the spine MRI because they suspected MS. As it turned out, I had a herniated disc in my spine compressing the cord and although that probably accounts for my symptoms they can't rule out MS yet because one small lesion was found on my brain. I'll be going back for another brain MRI in August and take it from there. It is a lot to deal with, but I just try not to worry and take things one day at a time.
    I think you should be able to pick where you want your MRI. My doctors office was going to go ahead and schedule mine at a hospital and I told them to schedule it where I wanted it done...I needed an open bed too!

Sulynn

Old 05-22-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Hi,
    I had the same feeling around my lips and in the surronding area. NS said it was from nerve damage in the cervical spine. After my Surgery (acdf c5-6-7) in October that is the ONLY thing that has subsided. Feels like bugs are crawling around your face ugh.....

Good luck
    Lori

Laminectomy L4-5 2001
    ACDF C5-6-7 2002
    POST. FORAMINOTOMY C6-7 JUNE 4 2003

Old 05-22-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Holly,

You have the right to have an open MRI. Even with an open MRI, I STILL had to have some Valium before hand because of my claustrophobia.

Hope you get in the scanner soon.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 05-23-2003, 08:25 AM   #8
    I'd rather be Running

I'd rather be Running HB User
    Talking

Thanks for the input guys. I wonder if my neurosurgeon will let the brain MRI issue go, if I tell him I have found several other cervies with the same symptoms? Somehow, I doubt it. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif At least it makes me feel better that it is probably related to my neck.

Still haven't heard back from my neurosurgeon regarding the MRI issue, so I guess I will follow up with them.

I really liked my neurosurgeon until I started asking questions at my last visit. You know how their eyes kinda glaze over and they have that look that says, "Great, another patient who has researched this on the internet". I just was asking about minimally invasive surgeries and ACD without fusion. He said that those concepts just make for good "window dressing" to get patients in the door, then they do the traditional approach. He also would not give me any answers regarding my getting back to being physically active. I would sure like a little hope on that issue!

Hmmm... Well, I think that this surgery is too big of a thing to not feel that you have researched every option. I should hear back on my appointment at Mayo clinic today. Maybe they will have some creative ideas.

Holly

------------------
    C3-4 through C6-7 disc herniations, three with cord contact.
    C2-C7 Severe right facet degneration with significant forminal stenosis.
    C5-6 & C6-7 Severe spondylosis
    7/29/03 Foraminotomy with cord decompression C5/6,C6/7

Old 05-23-2003, 06:02 PM   #9
    jbell95

jbell95 HB User
    Cool

Hi Holly, my name is Jaz. I too have the sensation that something is crawling on my face, so irritating.

I had a brain MRI and it was clear, so the neuro says. I also have some neck stuff going on that is causing problems with my left arm and hand.

I hope that you are able to get an open MRI. Since January, I have had three MRIs and a CT scan. I still can't quite get used to being in those spaces.

------------------
    01/27/03 Cervical MRI:

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
    C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
    C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
    C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
    C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
    C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
    bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.
    (WC probable findings "No Brain")

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
    C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
    C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
    C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
    C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
    C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
    bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 05-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #10
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Hi Rather be Running, I havent posted in a while, but thought I would reply to you. I too had facial tingling but never even told the NS. Basically I was in denial.I herniated C45 which presses on my cord, C56 disk is buldging with spurs, and I refused surgery right off the bat. Anyway he ordered a Brain MRI and found a cyst in my posterier fossa in Jan. Just this week I actually asked for copy of report to find out the kind of cyst and location. Symptoms have worsened over the months, and there is a strong possibility that I may HAVE to have surgery from new symptoms. Anyway my uncle was DX with a brain cyst in Dec 02, which is growing. I finally told my NS about that fam history also. To be on the safe side, just do it. You never know what may be hiding in there. Good Luck with everything. I am now accepting what is ahead of me, and got alot of info from this board which has helped me along the way.
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 06-03-2003, 05:24 PM   #11
    BUTCHY

BUTCHY HB User
    If It were up to me I would go with whatever the doc says, you dont want to mess around with M.S or a tumor. Your doctor wants a closed mri because the open Mri is quite blurry sometimes depending on the machine, I can't stand closed spaces either but I think I would tuff it out this time, sounds to important. Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
    rollercoasterfan

rollercoasterfan HB User
    Hi Holly,

Please follow the doctors wishes....I also had an MRI of my head. My problem is severe headaches/neck pain. They found a cyst on my pituitary gland. It might be part of the problem but we are dealing with the spine first. Never had the same symptom but I know the doctor demanded a closed MRI for a clearer picture.
    Good luck & God bless!
    Hugs,
    Suzie

------------------
    ACDF 6-7 june 1998
    Surgery July 2, 2003

Old 06-03-2003, 07:00 PM   #13
    magtize

magtize HB User
    Holly & Joanne
    I to have tingling or feeling of bugs crawling over face area.It just started after having 2nd epiderol.Called NS today (appointment Aug 14) told me
    to call PM Dr did that and got message center was told will call back after 4 Well here it is almost 10 pm and no call.WHATS NEW will try again tomorrow.Its most likely that I'm getting more nerve damage waiting for appointments.

------------------
    car accident 72 S2 fused 76 Surgery 96 c5-6 fused
    aug pains in neck started with pain meds. had X-rays MRI Mylagram
    c2-3 c3-4 broadbase buldge c6-7 buldge.pinched nerve,arthritis,spinal stenosis.Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day apap/codeine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500 mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day Massages,PT,PM SO FAR NO RELIEFLost job as have been off work since Sept 02 3 good days since then
    c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.
    ACDF C 4-5 on 9-2-03 titaium plate 4 screws

Old 08-11-2003, 07:41 PM   #14
    JeffreyS

JeffreyS HB User
    Hey all...45 yr old Male, DX'd w/ MS in May 1994...Doing very well w/ that thanks to Avonex injections weekly...Had some neck pain, with tingling in my left arm, down to my fingers over the past few weeks...Kinda came and went, then one night the pain was pretty bad...called my Neuro the next day and went in...She had me have an MRI of the C5 Spine and brain, just to rule out an MS exacerbation. So, that was today, and I guess we'll see what the pictures show. Dr. seems to think there is a possibily of a bulging disc, which gave off some "MS LIKE" symptoms. Normally I'd be traeted with a 3-5 dya course of Solumedrol, IF it was MS related...

------------------
    DX'd MS May 1994

Old 08-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #15
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Hmmmmm, sure does sound more like a disc problem. In fact, very similar to what I'm facing with waking up in the middle of the night in severe pain. They tell me that is a classic case (night pain, lol).

Anyway's, welcome to the weird & wacky cervie board Cat

Closed Thread