It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Disc Herniation w/Cord Compression - SCARED

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
    Aprice37
    (female)

Aprice37 HB User
    Disc Herniation w/Cord Compression - SCARED

I am new to all of this. I have had a some minor muscle issues with my neck in the past that were all resolved by massage and Advil. About a month ago I developed pain like I had never felt before along with numbness/tingling in my pinky and ring finger. I aslo have pain in my right shoulderblade as well as twitching and pain that I can only describe as feeling like someone is squeezing my spine in their hand really hard?

I had an MRI but when my ortho called and told me I had a herniation that was pressing on the cord I just freaked out and forgot to ask where. I know I have a C8 nerve compression so I assume it's C7-T1. I am going back in today to follow up and will get additional details.

Since some of you are way more experienced with this can you give me a list of things I should ask? Also if anyone has any recommendations for doctors in NC please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
    Nanook 73
    (female)

Nanook 73 HB User
    Re: Disc Herniation w/Cord Compression - SCARED

Hi.. I am new to this as well..one and a half weeks and scared also! I have spinal cord involvement and wonder just how long I can wait for surgery, since the NS said I needed it ASAP!
    Did your last appointment give you more info than you really wanted to hear? I have been literally afraid to move since hearing the diagnosis; although I have been walking for exercise. It is life changing, is it not?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
    Aprice37
    (female)

Aprice37 HB User

Thanks. I did get a lot more information on my last visit. My c5-6 is herniated and flattening the cord on the right side. My c6-7 is bulging pretty good too. I have an appt with a neuro in 2 weeks and will start PT on Friday. The ortho that I saw said they wouldn't even bother with injections as they wouldn't help. I guess ill know more after the neuro visit. The pressing on the cord scares me as I dont want permanent damage. What. Was your diagnosis? Have you set a surgery date?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
    Aprice37
    (female)

Aprice37 HB User

Hi I did get some additional info along with copies of my MRI for my own review. I have a large herniation at c5-6 that is flattening the cord on the right. I also have a small herniation at c6-7. I have a neuro appt in 2 weeks. The ortho set me up for PT but told me injections were a waste and I would likely need surgery. The cord compression is scary. Are you scheduled for surgery ?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
    Aprice37
    (female)

Aprice37 HB User

I did get some additional information. I was seeing an orthopedic doctor as I originally thougth it was all muscle. My MRI showed a c5-6 large herniation flattening the cord on the right side with some cord signal and a smaller bulge at C6-7. I asked the ortho about my options and he told me that I could go to PT or get surgery. He told me an injection wouldn't do anything for me.
    I asked about the cord issue and they seemed to act like it was nothing. The ortho kept telling me to wait as long as possible to have surgery and to do PT first. I do have weakness/numbess in my right arm.

I have an appointment with a highly recommended neuro in 2 weeks. I am not sure how PT is going to fix my large herniation but am going to get it set up while I am waiting to see the neuro. Hopefully, it won't make things worse.

What did your doctor tell you? Surgery right away is scary! I have a feeling that is what the neuro is going to tell me. I am also trying to walk as much as possible. I have been out of the gym for a 2 months trying to let this heal.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
    Nanook 73
    (female)

Nanook 73 HB User

Hi.....At C4-5 I have a herniation where the disc touches the cord but does not compress and C5-6 distorts the cord on the left. I have hand tightness and cannnot close into a fist as well as numbness down side of right arm into fingers.
    Gait imbalance at times...Last night I awakened with more numbness in whole arm, but shook it out. A NS at Mayo diagnosed and gave me another NS referral as I had asked him for one. The second NS is requesting x-rays besides my MRI. Was told at Mayo not to go to PT or have injections as they would not help. I really do not know what I can do.
    Did the Ortho diagnose you with Cervical Spondylotical Myelopathy?

Closed Thread