It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Myelopathy diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
    Nanook 73
    (female)

Nanook 73 HB User
    Cervical Myelopathy diagnosis

I recently had a diagnosis at Mayo Clinic and still in shock! Wondering if anyone has tried accupuncture, core strengthening or any other options as opposed to surgery. C4-5 and C5-6 distorting the cord, but only recently began symptoms (mid Dec.) with numbness in arms and stiff closure of hands. I would appreciate any suggestions since physical therapy was not recommended.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
    Tim025
    (male)

Tim025 HB User
    Cool Re: Cervical Myelopathy diagnosis

Hey Nanook 73, I under went a cervical laminecty surgery without any instrumentation on 10-25-2014 on c-3 thru c-7---yikes. I waited about 6 years from when my symptoms first appeared. I had burning on the back side of both of my hands and forearms and electric type shocks the went through the left side of my entire upper body whenever I had a sudden jolt to my body, i.e. jumping or tripping, that continued to worsen over time and I tried EVERYTHING possible to avoid surgery but eventually I ran out of options.
    I had to wear a stiff neck brace 24/7 for 9 weeks ( except for showering ) after the surgery.
    I have experienced a number a weird sensations and pains since the surgery but I have really improved over the past couple of weeks.
    Last Monday I reviewed my latest mri with my neurologist and everything looks vey good however I do have some damage to my spinal cord that is most likely the cause of my hand pain and may or my not ever heal--only time will tell.
    Did I wait to long to have something done? My neurosurgeon thinks so but my neurologists isn't sure that it would have made any difference even if I had the surgery sooner----- so who knows.
    I don't know if any of this helps but whatever you do make sure you explore ALL of the options available out there.
    Good luck, Tim

Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
    Nanook 73
    (female)

Nanook 73 HB User
    Re: Cervical Myelopathy diagnosis

Tim, Sounds as if you are recovering from a very difficult surgery with four levels! I think you gave some very sage advice regarding the exploration of all options available! I find sleeping the hardest time of day since I awaken with different areas of hands, arms, and neck either tingling, numb or painful...ten to twelve times during the night! I think my time is running out!!!!!!!! Waiting for NS #2's diagnosis! Thanks for your suggestions and continue your healing. I do believe the body can heal itself if given the chance. nance

Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

I had a 2 level acdf on the same levels that you're having problems with back in 2012 and 2 years later I feel great. I'd do it again if I had to.

Once you have myelopathy the surgery is more to stop the progression of it. I had myeloradiculapathy and my hand that was the worse still has loss of sensation in the thumb and first finger and it's not as strong as the other arm. Myelopathy means that the herniated disc is pressing on the spinal cord so decompression is what's going to help.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
    choco2013
    (female)

choco2013 HB User

Hey there, this is my first posting on this board.
    I am 38 years old female which already had the ACFD surgery on last October 2013. so it's almost 6 months on my post surgery.
    Yes I also was diagnosed as cervical myelopathy from my ortho surgeon. My symptom was various such as hard to hold light things in my hand, and walking difficulty as I was on the wheel chairs about 1 month before the surgery.
    People said my symptom was very quick and sudden, my first symptom was only aching feeling on my neck and the pain was gradually increased day by day.
    Even my surgeon couldn't explain why this is happen to me as I never had an accident and my regular sport was only badminton and swimming.

Closed Thread