It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone else have a screw loose..G

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2003, 07:22 AM   #1
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Wink Anyone else have a screw loose..G

Morning all,
    Just wanting some input from you all about the latest development in my cervie saga. One of the screws has backed out about 2-3 mm (great). This is contributing to the full feeling and the swelling. Gave me an anti-inflamitory and more pain meds. Gotta keep it cool, and hydrated. He is gonna x-ray again in two weeks, leaving the option of taking the plate out as an absolute last resort. He said my vertebrate are really tight and close and this is possibly why the screw has backed out some. He really thinks it is just some residual swelling though..here's hoping. Hope everyone is doing great today.
    Ginny

------------------
    "The only thing neccessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"

ACF June 18, 2003 C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 with bone donor and hardware

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2003, 07:31 AM   #2
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    OMG I would be freaking!!! You are doing so well to keep it calm, cool & collected. I'm hoping you won't have to do the last resort & that you are able to reduce the swelling on that neck of yours. Keep your chin up you brave girl. I'm thinking of ya. Cat

Old 07-19-2003, 07:35 AM   #3
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    OMG is right. You just sit tight and hopefully this will be okay. So what if a screw is a little out, as long as they get hold of the inflamation and your comfortable, once the swelling goes down this could very well be the case. Don't freak too much, this may work out.
    Yes, to answer your question, I've always had a loose screw, just don't know if it's in my neck Hang in there girlfriend.

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #4
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hi Ginny,

I do know somebody whose screws loosened. He had to have the hardware removed because one of the screws was sticking into his esophagus and could have caused a whole lot of damage. He was very uncomfortable until they removed everything.

Hopefully, you won't have to have yours removed. If you do, though, I would think (don't know) that it wouldn't be as bad as having the whole thing done over. But who wants any more surgery, right? Once is enough.

Old 07-19-2003, 07:47 PM   #5
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    I may also have a screw loose. Well, not just the mental one.

I went to see a Duke Surgeon about my surgical possibilities on both my neck and lumbar regions. He said I SHOULDN'T (YES!) get fusion in the lumbar region, but was concerned by the blockage of my cord at C5/6. He also looked at my neck x-rays and one of the screws has changed angles by about 30 degrees. So it may have popped out of the bone.

A CT scan on Monday is supposed to tell me if the C5/6 blockage is bony or fleshy, the srew is loose, and if the fusion took. I may have to have my hardware replaced as well as go through a Cervical Posterior laminectomy.

If I have to have all this done, I'm going to fly 10 of you single girls down here to take care of me.

jdog

Old 07-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Anytime Jdog..My hubby does not mind sharing.
    he always tells me my heart is bigger than our pocketbook anyway. I hope everything goes well for you tommorow.
    Let us know please.
    Ginny

ajfisand
    I will look into getting some of that msm stuff tommorow. Does it matter if you have high blood pressure. Thanks for the tip dear.
    Ginny

Debbie2,Catgirl, and memer
    I sure do not want another surgery(especially in the middle of a school year), but I really do not want a screw hanging out in my spine..lol I am the Chess club coach amoung other things at the school where I teach and I have alot to do. Thanks for the thoughts and answers and let's all hang in there
    Love you guys
    Ginny

------------------
    "The only thing neccessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"

Old 07-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Ginny,

You can also go to a health food store & ask there employees about MSM. It has been on the market for 3 years know & most health food store employees know quite a bit about this stuff.

On the other hand, don't buy it from the health food store. Go to Walmart or some other discount store to purchase. They have the same thing as the health food store but cheaper. Save you some $$$$ there.

You might also consider buying the combo MSM/Glusomine. They both deal with healing aspects of the bone, joints, cartilidge. In fact I have my cat (17 years old) on Glusomine for arthitis in her hips. I wish I could also have her on the MSM, but they don't make it in the dosage for cats. So unfortunately she only gets the Glusomine & you can definately tell a difference (especially when we forget to give it to her 1 day). She is in so much more pain the following day.

Good Luck & let us know if this helps. Cat

Old 07-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #8
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    aj,

How cool!!! Thank you so much for the info. I will check it & get kitty on it right away. I think kitty will thank you too!!! Thank you so very much for letting me know. It's been horrible having to watch kitty hobbling around the house. Hope this does the trick for her!! Cat

Old 07-20-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Peach -

What do you mean school year? Are you still in high school?

I went to the movies today and caught "Johnny English." I don't really care for Mr. Bean, but the movie was funny enough to warrant a matinee price. Well, there was a guy in the Theater with a Loc-Tite T-shirt on. Peach, if you don't know what Loc-Tite is, ask your husband. He's in Alabama, he'll know. It's a liquid you put on bolts to keep the nut you screw on from coming off.

When I saw this T-shirt, I immediately thought that these screws we have in our necks should have come with nuts and Loc-tite. On the back of the T-shirt, it said, "Use Loc-Tite or you just might lose your nuts." I lost it! ROTFLOL.

jdog

Old 07-20-2003, 06:25 PM   #10
    Bellybuttonlover

Bellybuttonlover HB User
    Cool

jdog!

You continue to make me smile!

Thank you!

Peace!

BBL

Old 07-20-2003, 06:55 PM   #11
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    ROTFLMAO
    That is hilarious Jdog. I know what Lock Tite is ya know, I help him rebuild motors. Maybe I will ask the Ortho about that next time I see him. And I teach middle school darlin, you know the psycho kiddies.
    It is not a Job it is an adventure.
    Thanks for the laugh and good luck tommorow.
    Ginny

------------------

Old 07-20-2003, 07:06 PM   #12
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Peach -

I'm a big advocate of massage therapy. I get an hour's worth every week. It's my one expense splurge that I feel has helped me mentally and physically. With Cervical problems and Lumbar problems, the massage therapists break up the knots in my legs every week.

Well, one of the 4 MTs just got her teaching degree (at age 39) and will be teaching middle school Spanish this fall. She knew that I had taught in college as a grad student and asked for any pointers. I knew she would do well, and didn't need any tips, so I gave her just one: "On the first day, kill one of the students to set the tone that you won't take any crap!" LOL

jdog

PS. Single ladies who want to take care of me during my recovery, let me know. LOL

Old 07-20-2003, 07:37 PM   #13
    Bellybuttonlover

Bellybuttonlover HB User
    Hi jdog,

I am only single when I am alone!!

Am with you in spirit!!

Whenever you see your bellybutton~~~~~~~that is me
    saying hello!!

Peace!

BBL

Old 07-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #14
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Jdog,
    That reminds me of a day last year, we have a moment of silence and it had been a rough week. I quietly said kinda under my breath, kinda not, Lord help me not kill anyone today and if I do help me know where to hide the bodies. I had a terrific day that day. My best discipline aid to date has been my cell phone, it usually only takes one or two calls to parents, right there in class to let them know I will use it. After that I just pick it up and they get really quiet. I hope everything went ok today for you and I am still laughing at the Lock-tite thingy.
    Peace
    Ginny

------------------

Old 07-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #15
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Peach -

I never even considered the cell phone!! OMG! That has to be the best deterrent since a handgun. I remember a 6th grade teacher that kept everyone terrorized by telling us that she could read minds and would occasionally punish someone just for what they were thinking. Now, in 6th grade, that was scary.

jdog

Closed Thread