It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Teri's surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2003, 08:06 AM   #1
    franjos_sister

franjos_sister HB User
    Post Teri's surgery

Hello,
    I just wanted to post and let you all know that my sister is doing well, but is going to have to have another surgery next week. The surgery was a little over 11 hours and they did the tethered cord release. The doctor said that her curvature was so severe that it was causing her taunt spinal cord to abrade against the concave curve. He ground away some bone to allievate any more wear on the cord. He said she held some surprises for him (and if you know my sister-- that’s typical!) She has two spinal cords--which if he’d read all of her old records, he would have found that a split cord was discovered in 87. She is still in cardio-vascular intensive care and will be for a couple of days. Then possible Monday (they haven’t set the date yet) she will have a spinal fusion. They really weren’t sure how much they would fuse, and it’s all kind of a blur, but I think they’re looking at T-5 or 8 down through the lumbar to the sacrum. And because she tilts forward a bit, they’re also
    contemplating putting a wedge of bone in her back to bring her more upright. The fusion will include titanium rods along her spine and between her hips.

Teri--when you read this later--I hope I got all this right. It’s so much information and so confusing. But I know you’ll straighten out any misinformation as soon as you can.

I’d like to thank all of the people she’s met here on this board for the friendship you’ve given her. I believe your support has made quite a difference. You’ve all become an important part of her life, and she talks about you often. In fact, I feel as if I know
    some of you!

Please continue to pray for my sister, as she has a little way to go yet. She is such a wonderful sister and I am blessed to have her in my life. It is so difficult to see someone you love in such pain, and not be able to do anything for her. She really hasn't been concious too much, but she's fairly cognitive when she is--you know, trying to stay on top of things, making sure the nurses are doing their jobs, and basically trying to run the whole show! Again, I thank you for your concern and support.

[This message has been edited by franjos_sister (edited 07-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 09:32 AM   #2
    ajfinsand

Hi Teri's sister!!!

Thank you so much for posting and filling in some of the details. Teri has been in our thoughts and prayers and it's good to finally know exactly what it is they have done so far, and have an idea of what her fusion surgery will involve.

Two spinal cords?!?!?! Well, she always has been an over achiever in spite of her disability, eh???

Keep us posted and remind her that she continues to be in our prayers. And if she's allowed to have hugs this soon, please give her one for me!

love and prayers,

aj in Oregon

------------------
    ~ 48 year old female; currently self-employed as an artist/designer/woodcrafter.
    ~ Previously worked in the restaurant biz for 27 years (not so good for someone with a bad back!)
    ~ Hereditary and congenital scoliosis, but it never caused any problems until I was 40+ years old.
    ~ 76 degree curvature had increased 2 degrees in two years 1999-2001; indicating surgery was necessary.
    ~ Surgery in March of 2001.
    ~ Fusion and insturmentation of C7 - T9.
    ~ Fourth rib removed; 5th and 6th rib cut back halfway; removed ribs were morselized and used for the grafting, plus additional bone harvested from hip.
    ~ After tthe hardware was attached, spine was straigntened 20+ degrees.
    ~ 2 weeks in the hospital.
    ~ Brace worn for five months. Bone growth stimulator device also worn several hours per day.
    ~ PT 5 mos. after surgery caused increased pain.
    ~ Follow-up surgery to remove hardware scheduled for Feb. 2002.
    ~ Round 2 of PT 2 mos. after hardware removal.
    ~ Medically released to return to full activity in July 2002.
    ~ Increased pain upon returning to regular work schedule.
    ~ Round 3 of PT in April/May 2003; continually increasing pain.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Sher( hope i spelled that right)
    Thank you so much for the info. You must know that Teri is very special to us here, and a very big part of our lives also.
    She will remain in my prayers and thoughts as always.I am sure I wont stop worrying and relax until she is home safe and sound.
    Please send my love and best wishes,
    Mel

ps, can you give Noah his hug from Mel

------------------
    Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
    Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
    loss of lordotic curve
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 07-17-2003, 11:09 AM   #4
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Thank you Sher, it was dear of you to keep us posted. Prayers are all over her! Gosh this just has me flat out crying... yes I'm at work. Teri, God Speed dear girl, we'll be here waiting for your return. In the meantime, hugs (gentle) to you.
    Debbie {{{{{hugs}}}}}}

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 07-17-2003, 02:02 PM   #5
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi Sher,

Thanks so much for posting this...it is a relief to hear that she is doing well and her spirit is as strong as ever...although I had an abundance of faith in that spirit of her's getting her through this, there was always that nagging worry...but that's just 'cause I'm a worrier...and, like Mel, I probably won't stop till she's home...Please give her my love and gentle hugs...she continues to be, as always, an inspiration.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 07-17-2003).]

Old 07-18-2003, 06:37 AM   #6
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Thanks so much for the update... sounds like you probably got most of it right. I do remember Teri telling us a long time ago she had a split spinal cord.

I hope she is continuing to do much better... I've been thinking of you all plenty, and praying for you, too.

Can you tell us which hospital she is in? Then get ready to tell them that they may get lots of cards for Teri "Franjo"!

Take care... and take care of Teri, please! She is such a great presence here on the boards!
    wr

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

Old 07-18-2003, 08:24 AM   #7
    Orchrid Man

Orchrid Man HB User
    Please send Teri, my LOVE and BEST wishes on getting well.

In our suffering, God heals our wounds
    In our disappointment, God give us hope
    In our loneliness, God is our refuge
    In our repentance, God is forgiveness
    Now and forever, God is love

May God always be your Healer

Jim RET SSgt USAF

[This message has been edited by Orchrid Man (edited 07-18-2003).]

C2-3, disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress
    C3-4, disc protrusion with bone spurs, neural foraminal narrowing.
    C4-5 large disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the cord, severe canal stenosis
    C5-6 disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the left cord, severe stenosis
    C6-7 disc protrusion with bone spurs but does not compress the cord, neural foraminal stenosis.
    C7-T1 is normal
    T2-3 disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress

Conclusion:
    Severe canal stenosis secondary to disc protrusion at C4-5 and C5-6 with mild cord volume loss at these levels.

-Surgery Set for- 18 Sep 03-4 Level Lamin. with plating

Old 07-18-2003, 01:07 PM   #8
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Smile

Teri,

We're all thinking of you and praying for another successful surgery next week. You keep that positive spirit up and make sure you don't try to do too much too soon! Sounds like you have an incredible sister taking very good care of you, so you are truly blessed. Take care and we'll be following your progress closely!
    Keith

Old 07-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #9
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Hi Teri,

You're going through so much that I don't even know what to say, so I'll just let you know that I'm praying for you and your little boy .

Old 07-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #10
    BamaPeach
    Inactive

BamaPeach HB User
    Teri, Hangin there darlin. The board is not the same without you. Get well and come back soon.
    Peaceful prayers soaring your way
    Ginny

------------------
    "The only thing neccessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing"

ACF June 18, 2003 C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 with bone donor and hardware

Old 07-18-2003, 06:19 PM   #11
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Teri Teri dear sweet Teri, I'm sure that Imissed the print out.. but I am here now so happy to read your progress is good...take care and xoxoxo to you
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:28 PM   #12
    franjos_sister

franjos_sister HB User
    You made the printout Debbie2!

Jim, I see you're a retired staff sergant in the USAF.
    My daughter was in AWACS at Tinker AFB in OK.

Thanks again everyone.........I'll be in touch.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:27 AM   #13
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    I was in the Air Force also, for 4 years in telecommunications, back from 1977 - 80. I enjoyed it, except for the year at Shemya AFB Alaska, out at the end of the Aleutian Islands! If it hadn't been for that I'd have reenlisted.
    Keith

Old 07-19-2003, 09:27 AM   #14
    ajfinsand

Sher,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that Teri is able to eat solid food and will be getting a bit of physical therapy before having to go for her fusion surgery. A fair amount of post-op pain and immobility is often caused just from laying on the operating table for so long....and Teri was there a loooooooong time!

Now, are Ed and Noah going to be able to stay in Chicago the entire time that Teri is in the hospital now that her stay has been extended with the separate fusion surgery? Any word on how long they expect to keep her in after her fusion?

Give her my love and remind her she is in my thoughts and constant prayers. Let her know that I called Mel and had a nice visit with her. Give Noah a hug (tell him I'm the one who sent him the book) and thank you again for posting for us and keeping us connected with our dear Teri whom we love so very much!!!!

aj in Oregon

Old 07-19-2003, 10:47 AM   #15
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Sher,
    I wanted to wish Terri all the best for further surgery. She is amazing with all this, hope she is recovery and getting back feeling in that lower leg.Love and Prayers,
    Mel

Closed Thread