It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ? about ear ache and headache post surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    Question ? about ear ache and headache post surgery

I'm sorry I do not know all the acronyms and short cuts to all these terms, so I'll try my best in long hand.

I recently had arthroscopic shoulder surgery, followed a month later (on the 2nd of Sept, 2003) by a cervical neck fusion surgery with plates and screws using donor bone. I was kept in the hospital overnight, sent home the next morning, no collar, no brace, although a friend of mine suggested I ask for a soft collar for comfort while I sleep so I wouldn't get too worried about moving around (which I do) while I sleep.

I was told that I could sleep anyway I want, no restrictions on anything really other than waiting a week to drive so I wouldn't take the chance of jarring anything by having silly accidents.

I'm also using an external collar type bone growth stimulator 3 hours a day.

The day I arrived home I began to get an extremely debilitating headache followed shorth thereafter by some random, but rather intensive shooting pains in my ear. Both the headache and the ear pains are on the side of my head where the front-neck incision is, so I called the neurosurgeon and he said he didn't think anything "serious" was happening, sounded like a migraine to him (which I do have occasionally) and he sent me a prescription for percoset and told me to take 2 every 4 hours, which I did for a week, and the headache was eleviated by about 50%, but the ear pain just seemed to intensify as the headache is lessening. I was having difficulty swallowing, breathing, and talking, but that seems to be lessening every day and I have progressed from that delectable gourmet food by Gerber to real food after a week, and breathing is easy, although I still have some pain upon swallong in the back of the throat area.

I called him again yesterday and asked what now and he said it sounded like an ear infection, to go see my primary provider and call him and tell him what the results where.

Went to my GP this morning and he examined it all quite thoroughly and said there was no sing of infection anywhere and he thought it might be pain as a result of trauma to my eustation tube (sorry if any spelling is incorrect) and gave me a Z-Pak antibiotic so he would be erring on the side of caution just in case, and 2 nasal sprays, one an antihistamine and one a steriod for swelling and inflamation.

Does any of this sound like it might be feasible?

And again sorry for the length and the spelling errors, I'm swimming in a pool unknown to me.

Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Susan,
    This must have been awful for you. I understand the post op headache and migrane(mine were shockers) and it did extend to my ear but more so the head area. It sounds interesting but could very well be the neck spasm post surgery as one of the muscles they cut does extend to the ear. Lots of those neck muscles insert in various points around and near the ear so I am thinking it's probobly just a bad post op headache and neck spasm. I am no expert so please keep on to your NS just to be safe.
    Mel

Old 09-13-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    Cool

Thanks so much for your answer. Actually it wasn't that terribly awful, I've had a number of surgeriers recently unrelated to this, so the surgery bit was a piece of cake, and I was totally prepared before I went in with a freezer full of food and enough paper products to eat off of and with to last forever, house prepared etc. (I learned after first surgery what I needed to do to survive alone), so none of it is a real shock, but I have never had to deal with the head/neck area before so the headache and earache thing kind of worried me a bit...

Thanks also for the info about the muscle and ear relation.. it is quite possible that has somethig to do with it. The pain is not constant, just a quick jab of intense pain every now and then or a lasting one, but never too long.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally out of the realm of reality with their explanations, and it sounds like just about any kind of pain might be experienced in the head/neck region by the look of these posts, so your reply made me feel a lot better.

I intend on dogging the NS to the ends of the earth if I feel something needs to be addressed, so I will be sure to follow up on my first follow up visit.

That was another thing that kind of threw me for a little loop, I had the surgery on the 2nd of Sept, and my first followup visit was not scheduled until the 22 of Sept, which I thought was a little long in between, but now I think it's ok. I'm now sure he wants to wait until the nitpicky things are lived through ;D But lest I make him sound unfeeling, I have called him three times and he has been wonderful about listening and giving me instructions without requiring a visit... so he is not as bad as that sentence makes him sound... and actually after reading a lot of these posts, I'm kind of impressed with his work up to this point.. he seems to have done everything he should have, and used the proper procedures without my knowing too much about it..

(Although the post op meal in the hospital is still a big question in my mind -- how they expect one to eat a quarter of a dry chicken and some weird potatoes an hour after getting back to the room is still beyond me.. ;D)

Thanks again.

susan

Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
    StillWater

StillWater HB User
    Susan,

I hope you're feeling better by now. These boards can help so much by giving us access to others who have been through the same thing.

I don't have any advice or expecience about the kind of surgery you had, but I'm looking toward lumbar surgery. You mentioned that you had gotten your house ready to live alone post surgery. Would you mind listing some of the things you did? I also live alone, and am sure there aret things I'm not thinking of.

Thanks.

StillWater

Old 09-13-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    That is one thing I CAN help with.

I feel down a little 5 years ago and messed up my ankle/leg/foot rather badly and have had a bad patch a few times since then, so basically I've had 10 surgeries in the last 5 years, and I had to rely on only myself, and I learned quickly from the first one what had to be done. One of my daughter's came that time, they always overreaact to mommy's little "problems", so I had the advantage of two minds working on how to survive surgery alone and have perfected it since then ;D

First of all I do a thorough house cleaning shortly before, and I mean thorough, anything that might need to be done in say 4 months or a complete season, just in case recovery is longer than I anticipate. This time for instance I did fall and winter stuff, changed out clothing, did closests, procurred salt for the winter, changed curtains, floors, etc. Windows, screens, you name it, it's ready for winter.

If you are in a lot of pain do it a little at a time until it's done, or if you have the financial backing to hire a cleaning crew, do that. I didn't so I did it myself.

That is one of the major things to prepare, because it is one of the major physical expenditures around the house.

I also prepare my automobile for the current needs and future needs, tuneup, oil change, tires, etc.

Once you have the house and car ready, you can move on to the survival mode.

Shopping.

I try to make a list of ANYTHING I can think of or anticiapte that I might need to shop for in the next 4 months or so, especially if a drastic seasonal weather change is coming, for instance this sime from summer to winter. for instance, are you going to need winter boots and you don't thave them? Do you need to have your winter coat dry cleaned? I did all that before surgery.

Then I began on food.

I absolutely stuffed my pantry with canned and dry foods and staples, this time with extra care because I didn't want to have to drag heavy bags of anything up these stairs (my door is a 27 stair fire escape). Four of everything, cooking spray, olive oil, salt pepper, all the staples, raisins, prunes, you name the staple, it's in the pantry x 4. And that also includes toiletry items, shampoo, toothpaste, razors, creams, lotions, soaps, etc.

Laundry supplies, by the dozen ;D 5 boxes of clothes washing tablets, bleach, fabric softener, dry cleaning kits, stain removers, etc. Everything I could think of

Shopping entails everything. Clothing, food, you name it.

when it came to meals, I tried to have a mixture in the freezer of frozen already prepared meals, and a few frozen entrees like Stouffers, but mostly meals I cooked myself like spaghetti and meatballs (just the sace and meatball, not the pasta), baked good, bran muffins, brownies, individually wrapped and frozen chicken breasts, in fact I froze everything individually, so I can pop something out, microwave it, and eat.

I also included a ton of frozen vegetables. I prefer fresh, but in a pinch a frozen brussel sprout is better than no veggie at all. ;D

English muffins, bulgar, wild rice, I emptied the health food store and it's in my freezer.

things like bulgar and rice I did not cook first, they are pretty simple to prepare, but main courses I did cook first. I researched on the web how long things could be frozen cooked and uncooked and worked around that. I even cooked a lb. of bacon 50% done and frozen that, in case I wanted to go wild and make a BLT (which I have already done). Frozen fries, frozen juices, etc.

Right before surgery, in fact the day before I hit the veggie market and bought enough fresh for a week, cleaned it, and put it all in giant tupperware containers and had easy to eat and prepare veggies for the first week ( I just did the same thing today for the second week).

It takes a little fore thinking about meals and what I might want, what is available, and what is freezable, but it's worth it when you can just go in and pop a few things into the microwave and have a great home cooked meal instead of ordering fast food in, or be stuck with tv dinners ;D I enjoy eating too much to put myself in that place.

I also did the paper product thing. Solo cups, styrofoam cups in every size, and a ton of each. Paper plates, Paper bowls, and a giant box of plastic utensils, paper towels, paper napkins.

Easy to grab, easy to use, easy to throw away.

I keep all the "paper products" on my kitchen table (the ones that are not stored waiting to be called into duty) so they are easy to get at as well as easy to use.

I try to use as few pots as I can, for instance when I want a chicken breast or a small steak, etc.? I make a quick "broiling pan" out of aluminum foil, do the broiling thing, throw the foil away and no pan.

Don't forget tons of potty paper along with the paper towels.

Once you have the house, car and pantry and freezer ready, it's just a matter of doing a little spot cleaning every day to keep it all up, and I try to do one load of laundry every day so I don't have to lift any loads that are heavy, and that's about it really.

Cleaning, cooking, storing.

Just try to think of it as you have to plan your life to the smallest detail for 4 months and try to think about what might come up and have it ready in the house, and easy to get at.

Don't forget medical supplies you might need as well, Tylenol, things for burns and scrapes, heartburn, etc. I always keep a pretty good variety in my first aid kit, but I also restock that to the fullest and add all the extras in the cabinet.

You become a fully self contained human, and if there is something that comes up, you are usually prepared....

hope this helps.

susan.

Old 09-13-2003, 02:50 PM   #6
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    there are a couple of things I forgot to mention that I wanted to add.

In anticipation of some swallowing problems and a soft diet, I also purchased some baby food that I though I might be able to deal with, especially the large fruit jars, some toddler meals, etc.

And trust me, the plums and cherries tasted pretty good that first day home, and were very easy to get down...

And don't forget entertainment for yourself.

I don't have cable, but I had a freind tape many movies for me, to add to the ones I already had, procurred many books I thought I might like to read, mostly light reading, something that would not take a considerable amount of concentration, for instance "Wicked" the Life and times of the east of the west.. ;D

If you can think of any thing that might come up, think about how you would deal with it, be prepared to deal with it without driving, you will be totally ready to deal with life alone after surgery.

I made sure to question my NS thorougly about being alone and he assured me it would be ok if I was as prepared as I have been in the past, and he was right, I'm on day 10 home now, and I've managed to survive with no complications at all.

susan

another ps. If someting happens and you cannot drive (I drove after day 5 to the drug store because it is close, open 24 hours a day and I went at 4 am when there was absolutely no traffic, I forgot to get something for constipation and that popped right up to deal with ;D) but if you find you cannot drive, be sure to locate a market and drug store that delivers in your area and make arrangements to do that if needed, aka get their phone number for ordering, grocery list they use to order from etc.

And if all else fails, have some "delivery" food place's phone numbers handy because if there is one thing you will be able to do that is to dial the phone and get some great Chinese food delivered if that is the only place in your town.

So far I have not had to resort to outside help, but I have the numbers for a Cheese steak or some ribs and rice handy by the phone ;D

susan

Old 09-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #7
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    One more thought since I reread your post and it's lumbar surgery.

If you are going to be confined to bed for a lot of the time, I was with the leg operations, a life saving tip is water. I kept bottled water right by my bed and some cups, so I always had something to drink and didn't have to get up to get it if I was feeling really punky.

I can't think of anything else that I've done except to move all the throw rugs off the floor to avoid any stupid little falls, and move the furniture slightly so there is nothing in my way.

A friend of mine used a shower chair for the first few weeks because she felt a little weak standing up, but I haven't done that this time, I have not had any problems in the tub, but that is the last thing I can think of.

I hope I've covered anything you might have forgotten.

susan

Old 09-13-2003, 10:12 PM   #8
    magtize

magtize HB User
    Hi Susan
    I am another from PA
    I had surgery same day as you,but you seem to be doing much better.
    I had ACDF was in hospital over night came home with Miami J collar that I need to wear for 6 weeks
    Have plenty of restrictions.Cannot turn head,lift anything over 5 lbs,do not reach above head,do not bend down and cannot drive for 6 weeks.
    So far I have no pain except when swollowing,and everyday that seems to lesson.
    I hope the ear pain soon goes away for you and you start to feel better soon
    Elaine

------------------
    car accident 72 S2 fused 76 Surgery 96 c5-6 fused
    aug pains in neck and shoulder.PCP,MRI Mylagram,PT Epidorals,Facet block,
    C4-5 C6-7 HNP C4-5 Spinal stenosis
    c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.
    c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.
    ACDF C 4-5 on 9-2-03 titaium plate 4 screws

Old 09-14-2003, 05:45 AM   #9
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    suppose it's in the water in PA? ;D

Seriously, I hope you begin feeling better quickly.

I am really kind of surprised that I am doing as well as I am by the way. Maybe it's because I didn't know I shouldn't be. Sometimes I do think it has to do with more than the body and more with the spirit and mind that I would have imagined.

Because I came home to an empty house and was literally forced to do or not have it done, I think I push myself probably beyound what I should in my own ignorance. But I'm not complaining.

I was at the market yesterday wearing my little soft collar, just because I guess I'm a little cautious about someone bumping into me so it's more like a cross to vampires... "stay away and this is the space I need" kind of thing, when I was standing in front of the freezer section and saw myself in the glass. For a few minutes at a time I forget that I am in the condition I am and have to remind myself not to pick up something that is too heavy... I continually am surprised when I walk by something that reflects my presence and see myself... and have to force myself to adjust my life, like making my bags of trash lighter than I used to, and to hold on to the rail when I am taking the bags down to the dumpster.

When it's a matter of either I do it, or I'm not going to have it, it's amazing what I can force myself to do.

I am happy however that I don't have to wear the brace except for the three hours I am wearing the bone growth stimulator thingy (technical term for something I don't know the proper name for). It seems like it might be very restrictive to movement.

I asked the NS when I talked to him last why I didn't have to do that and his reply didn't exactly explain it, but it stopped me from asking more.. "Because that is why we put in the metal in.. it's stablizing you"..

Don't know if that makes sense or not really.

Again, I hope you start feeling better quickly. The swallowing thing drove me nuts for the first couple of days, but I am doing really well now. I was actually able to eat a regular meal for the last couple of days with no problems at all, so I rewarded myself with a piece of chocolate ;D

Love those little rewards I give myself..;D

Old 09-14-2003, 06:12 AM   #10
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    I do have to add however also that a wonderful friend of mine that lives many states away had neck surgery last year at this time and a week later attended a little vacation reunion with some other friends here in PA and she has literally been my guiding light and inspiration. She answered many questions for me, and set the bar that I'm trying to reach...

I can't let her do better than me, I have to at least do as good ;D.

Unfortunately she has just found out that it's time for #2 surgery and I feel very badly about that for her, but I know she will jump right back into life with all the gusto she has shown before. She is also reading this board so I'm writing this as a great big thank you to her for inspiring me to go that extra step to help myself. ;D

Hugs to Pam from Susan.

It is always good to have a star to reach for... thanks for being mine.

Old 09-14-2003, 08:41 AM   #11
    sroman127
    (female)

sroman127 HB User
    Hello, I had surgery six months ago on my neck. I still have headaches, ear and jaw pain on the side of my incision. When I get it usually it lasts for atleast a couple of days. I have it today and boy is it painful and annoying! It sure sounds like you know how to prepare for surgery! Wish I was as organized as you!

Old 09-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #12
    StillWater

StillWater HB User
    Susan, thank you for all the tips on preparing to be back home alone following surgery. Reading the list sounds exhausting, but just cleaning the house is exhausting right now. It sounds so practical, though, to have all those things out of the way. I know if I were lying around seeing things that needed to be done and I couldn't do any of them, it would drive me crazy. You listed some things I wouldn't have thought of. I'm copying your list and putting it where I can find it.

I have a daughter several states away and she would like me to come there, but I'd have to find new doctors, and stay long enough for at least the first follow up visit. I'd much rather be at home, with my dog and cat. I love my daughter, and I'd like to go spend time with her and her family, but I'd rather go when I feel well. She may come and stay a week with me following the surgery.

Yesterday I was having a lot of pain, and was having trouble getting out of bed, sitting and getting up, etc. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself. Today, there is still pain, but I can at least move. If the pain following the surgery is as bad as it was yesterday, or even worse, I'm wondering how I'll manage day after day. I'm pretty independent by nature, though, and usually find a way to manage difficult things by myself.

I hope your head and ear pain are better. And that your recovery progresses well.

StillWater

Old 09-14-2003, 10:59 AM   #13
    canvaswriter

canvaswriter HB User
    All three of my daughters wanted to come up here, but I am with you, I would prefer to see them and their boys when I am able to enjoy the visit instead of when I can do nothing but play the slug..

And I was very candid with my NS before this surgery and made sure he understood that I would have no one but myself to depend on for every possible thing and made sure he understood what I meant when he said I would be able to take care of myself or I would not have attempted it.

My headaches and earache seem to come and go now, which is better than all the time, I hope this crap goes away quickly, it's becoming a real drag.. ;D

I hope your recoveries are quick and as pain free as possible...

Old 09-14-2003, 10:59 AM   #14
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    test

Old 09-14-2003, 11:12 AM   #15
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    I can relate with the ear trouble! I had to drive myself to the er shortly after surgery. I woke up at 2 am with severe pain all around my ear. I was ckd out and told I was fine by my n/s. That night it got worse and spread to my other ear, thats when I went to the er. They sd it was an outer ear infection, gave me drops to put in. Well it continued. Went back to another doctor and sd it was an outer ear infection and my throat was inflamed with swollen glands. Put me on an antibiodic. I had no appetite at all! I knew it was not just nothing!! Anyway it finaly went away. But after 5 months I started having swollen glands again. I went to an allergist who sd it looked like sinus infection. I was put on more antibiodics. Helped alittle, but then was put on Augmentin, helped. It also helped with my skin disease, porokeratosis. Which is strange because my dermo. only gave me skin cream for that? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif I truly believe that the surgery gave me infection!! my blood work was ok. But of course the n/s says its not related! Plus the headaches after surgery were so sever, they had to stop the morphine in the hospital. I came home with strong hydrocodone which seemed to make it worse! n/s sd it shouldn't cause headaches! sent me to a neurologist, who couldn't help ordered mri of brain. This saga keeps going http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif well for now I am being ckd for nerve damage, emg. results tomorrow. Headaches are gone, but ear is numb and tingling along with sides of face. Of course it all could be related, the neck affects the head! oh these doctors just want to pass it off on another doctor! The guys that give the tests should be the doctors!! anyone can read the results!! all they do is order tests!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif

Closed Thread