It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• recovering ADR progress

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2003, 07:51 AM   #1
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Cool recovering ADR progress

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say that after being a bit emotional and sore for a week(post op) I am feeling a bit better and ready to get on with it! I am still having the pain fronm the incision and the headaches but I am excited as my NS said I can do prity much anything as I feel up to it. I recommend this ADR to anyone considering surgery although I know it's difficult with the trial in the U.S for you guys. I feel it's amazing I can turn my neck normally and move about. I am still nervous about swinging from the rafters yet feeling like I may get there sooner than I thought. The only problem is that my posture is still not good so I have to concentrate on standing tall. If anyone else has this reverse lordosis let me know of any ideas. Hope everyone is doing well.
    Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Smile

Mel,

This is awesome, I suspected you'd be recovering quickly based on the research I've done on ADR, and was hoping it would bear out. I'm so happy for you. I'll bet all those pre-surgery jitters seem kind of funny to you now, don't they? Of course, it's always easy to say once on you're on the other side of a big event like that. Congratulations on your success!
    Keith

Old 07-31-2003, 08:15 AM   #3
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi,
    AJ,
    Thanks for the prayers and there were many being said before the surgery which I beleive has helped me heal fairly quickly. I also gave up smoking which also helped.
    Keith,
    Your research is spot on. Your right also, I did feel like a worried lunatic before and after one day I could walk around fine in hospital which surprised everyone. I am still a bit weak and have some headaches but I went to the shops today with my mum and felt quite good wandering around. I would definetly recommend this ADR to anyone if they thought surgery was a good option at some point. Hope your well,
    Mel

Old 07-31-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Hello Mel,

It great to hear your doing so well after your surgery. Your news gives us hope that this is the surgery of the future. I know it sure beats what I had.

I do have one request from you Mel, may I please have a picture of you swinging from the rafters when you do it?

Great to know you better,

Harvey

Old 07-31-2003, 09:41 AM   #5
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    Mel~
    How wonderful to hear! Please do take it easy though ok? Get the rest you need and STOP if pain starts.
    (you can tell I'm a mom *LOL*)

I hope you continue on your road to recovery quickly.

Old 07-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    Mel,

I'm so glad you are doing so well and that your pre-surgery jitters are behind you. I think it's fantastic that were feeling so well just 1 week post-op. You give those of us who might be facing surgery in the future good news & the reserve to hold out until it becomes available in our area. But most of all I'm just happy for you & that it is working out so well for you.

Oh & BTW, after Firefighter is done with the picture of you swinging from the rafters, I want to see it too, LOL. Cat

Old 07-31-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Smile

MEL Its nice to hear that you are doing so well so soon after surgery. You should take it easy though, so that you continue to do well. Could someone please tell me what ADR is? Thanks Babs
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 07-31-2003, 12:26 PM   #8
    DepecheJan

DepecheJan HB User
    Cool

Hey Mel,
    Glad to hear you are doing so well one-week post op and that your pre-surgery jitters are a thing of the past. I tried to get the ADR in the states, but was turned down for the clinical trial. Apparently I am not in enough pain. Oh well. I am just happy that you were able to get it and that it seems to be working out for you. Just remember to take it easy for awhile. Post when you can. Take care.

Jan

Old 07-31-2003, 05:05 PM   #9
    Cathric
    (female)

Cathric HB User
    Mel,

Sure glad to hear that you are feeling so much better. Keep healing!

Hugs,
    Cathric

Old 07-31-2003, 05:37 PM   #10
    Bellybuttonlover

Bellybuttonlover HB User
    Talking

My dear sweet Midge~~~down under.......

I have been meaning to jot you........
    sorry for the delay!!

Life stuff!!

I have thought of you often........

Be gentle with yourself!!

Know that you are loved!

touch your bellybutton & smile!

BBL

Old 08-01-2003, 08:43 AM   #11
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the inspiring good wishes, I am sure they are helping me heal quickly.
    Harvey,
    I will be swinging from the rafters as soon as possible but better wait another week unfortunately, although I am rather tempted.
    Anglicmoon,
    Hope your headaches are a bit better and thanks for the reminder to take it easy, good point.
    Cat,
    I am trying to take it easy and ofcause a huge picture will be posted of me and my swinging rafter activites!
    Babs,
    I hope you looked at the site posted by Gail. ADR is the artificial titanium and polyurethene disc replacement that mimics normal neck movement and cushions axial loading from the spine(ie, supports as best as possible). Have a read it is interesting stuff.
    Gail,
    Hi, I did have William Sears do my surgery last week and he was absolutely brilliant. I was assured from numerous dr's he is the best in this area and I am so far very pleased with the results. What surgeries did you have with him?
    Jan,
    Maybe in time you will be a candidate. I know if you were in Australia it would be more than likely you would be able to have the surgery even with 2 levels providing they are next to eachother. If you feel like travelling, I hear people do just to get the disc now days. How is the MSM going?
    Cathric,
    Thanks for the wishes. I am trying to rest and do get tires really easily still. How is your throat going?have the dr's helped yet?
    BBL,
    Thanks for the wishes and it's Mel, although I like the name Midge and she does seem very nice so don't mind the confusion. I will hopefully be doing handstands soon and looking at my bellybutton!
    Mel

Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 PM   #12
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Hi Mel, I did read up on the ADR It seems to be much better than plates and screws. It doesnt seem to be available in the US yet, except for those who qualify on a research basis. I wont, I dont have a tremendous amount of pain, mainly numbness and weird things. How exciting that you received this particular type of surgery (ADR). It sure sems to be a good choice, considering the long run and flexiblity. I hope you are feeling well. Take care and take it slow.... dont over do it!!

Thanks Tool for posting the ADR info...

Babs
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 08-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #13
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Mel,
    How exciting that you are doing so well!! I have been praying for you. The man upstairs must be smiling down on you, down under

Take it easy girlfriend.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF C6-7 5/13/03 with titanium plate,4 screws, and no collar postop.

Lea

Old 08-07-2003, 10:08 AM   #14
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Babs and Lea,
    Thanks for your replies. I am doing well yet after a drive as a passenger yesterday and a few nasty speed humps I have had a shocking headache. I am still getting headaches and hope it's just my muscles trying to adapt to this new disc. I am still feeling fragile and also gave up smoking before surgery so I am going through some horrendous withdrawel.
    Babs,
    Hopefully you can get the disc too soon. Any pain is not worth having so perhaps you should look into applying for the study.
    Lea,
    Thanks for your prayers. I hope you are doing well and not working too hard as usual!
    Mel

Old 08-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #15
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    Mel~ I went to see my NS yesterday. He said that the pain/headache I am having is from the muscles acting up and causing the nerves to go nuts. He wants to do some injections after I get out of my collar. If that doesn't work we will go a different course of action(not sure what yet). I still have trouble being in a car and usually end up taking a pain pill afterward. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone on these headaches. I hope you are resting and babying yourself.

hugs~
    ~Kat~

Closed Thread