It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Getting rid of the blind spots: adjusting your car's side mirrors

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Post Getting rid of the blind spots: adjusting your car's side mirrors

I told Sherry a few weeks ago that I would post this... This is from a GEICO article about George Platzer's method of adjusting your car's rearview mirrors to get rid of the blind spots. George is a consultant who holds a few patents on mirror design. The concept is to rotate the mirrors outward about 7 degrees to see the area not normally covered by your inside rearview mirror:
    * Sitting in the driver's seat, lean to the left until your head just touches the side window.
    * Keep your head here while you adjust your left side mirror so the edge of your fender is just barely visible on the inside edge of the mirror.
    * Now lean the same amount to your right, with your head at the car's centerline and adjust your right mirror the same way. Using the three mirrors, you now will have a panorama view of the area behind and to the sides of your car.

As Click and Clack of Car Talk said, there was no point in keeping an eye on your rear fender, because it never went anywhere anyway. The only loss to you is a loss of visual reference to your own vehicle (the fender) to the traffic around you, but you'll adjust quickly.

Here's how the system works: The inside mirror is the primary mirror- it will show you everything except the blind zones. The side mirrors show you ONLY the blind zones. When changing lanes, first look in the inside mirror to observe traffic to the rear. Then look in the outside mirror to see if there's a car in the blind zone.

A car passing from behind will first appear in your center rearview mirror. Before it leaves that mirror, it will appear in the side mirror, and as it passes from the side mirror's view, it will appear in your peripheral vision. Be sure to use your mirrors; continually scanning what's ahead and behind will help keep you on top of every situation.

My suggestion is that if you plan to try this, do it at a time when you will be in light traffic to begin with... until you get to know what's what. Hope this helps all of us with reduced flexibility of the spine... theoretically, now we don't have to glance over our shoulders, but that's a tough habit to change.
    wr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Thumbs up

Wing~

Thanks for that info! I had no idea there was a proper way to adjust those mirrors. I drive a Rav 4, and it has a big blind spot, compounded by the fact that I'm 5 ft. tall.

I'm sure gonna miss my rear fenders though!

Thanks again,

~Teri

[This message has been edited by franjo (edited 05-18-2003).]
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 06-01-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    bump

Old 06-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
    magtize

magtize HB User
    WINGED
    Do you know if this would work for large box trucks?Hubby has tried many things and still omplains off blind spots
    Elaine
    c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.
    ACDF C 4-5 on 9-2-03 titaium plate 4 screws

Old 06-02-2003, 04:24 AM   #5
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Gee, Elaine, I really don't know; that seems almost like a different animal. Perhaps you should ask... this article was from GEICO's magazine, but Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, (Car Talk) have something similar. I hope you can find out.
    wr

Old 06-02-2003, 04:35 PM   #6
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Wing~

I've adjusted my mirrors per your explanation and it's great. No blind spot at all now. It does take some getting used to, though. Old habits die hard. But the security it gives is well worth learning a new way of doing things. Thanks!

~Teri

[This message has been edited by franjo (edited 06-03-2003).]
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 06-02-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    HI Teri,
    Yes, it does take getting used to. I've had them like this for a few months... course I've barely driven 200 miles this whole year! I've always felt... "seeing is believing," and relied on actually looking all over. That is nearly impossible right now... I hate backing up! I'm so afraid that getting out of parking spaces, I'm going to run someone over! You'd think I was "blue hair" or something. Maybe things will be better in another month of taking it easy. I'll be hoofing it probably when I'm on my own. Or I'll just read or watch the scenery go by.
    wr

Old 06-06-2003, 07:50 AM   #8
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Wr,

Great idea. I will give this a go as I find driving a nightmare on the neck from being so girraffe tall. If only we could get a device to turn the neck for us!

Mel

Old 06-25-2003, 06:13 AM   #9
    Orchrid Man

Orchrid Man HB User
    Bump

C2-3, disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress
    C3-4, disc protrusion with bone spurs, neural foraminal narrowing.
    C4-5 large disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the cord, severe canal stenosis
    C5-6 disc protrusion with bone spurs compressing the left cord, severe stenosis
    C6-7 disc protrusion with bone spurs but does not compress the cord, neural foraminal stenosis.
    C7-T1 is normal
    T2-3 disc protrusion which contacts but does not compress

Conclusion:
    Severe canal stenosis secondary to disc protrusion at C4-5 and C5-6 with mild cord volume loss at these levels.

-Surgery Set for- 18 Sep 03-4 Level Lamin. with plating

Old 06-25-2003, 12:09 PM   #10
    lifeonhold2003
    (female)

lifeonhold2003 HB User
    Great info, thanks for passing this along. I drove for the first time yesterday and was a nervous wreck. I will definitely print this off and adjust mirrors before venturing out again.
    Julie

4/23/03 - Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/Fusion C5/6 - donor bone with titanium plate, 4 screws, no collar post-op

Old 06-26-2003, 06:50 AM   #11
    Cathric
    (female)

Cathric HB User
    Wing~

Great information! I'm determined to drive next week. This weekend I'll set my mirrors and go on a test drive with my husband. YEAH!

Thanks again.
    Cathric

Old 06-27-2003, 07:07 AM   #12
    jbell95

jbell95 HB User
    Cool

Oh, this is so cool. Thanks http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gif Jasmine

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
    C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
    C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
    C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
    C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
    C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
    bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:47 AM   #13
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    bump

Old 09-19-2003, 06:59 AM   #14
    go*big*red
    (female)

go*big*red HB User
    Wing

Thanks for the info and for bumping. Apparently you have never driven an LHS - the rear fender and bumper are constantly passing me on the road lol.

All kidding aside, I'll definately give that a shot. I used to drive larger vehicles as my husband and myself own a concrete business and am very used to using the mirrors, but like many others, will miss the rear of my car .

One problem with my car is that when I put it in reverse the side mirrors automatically point down and in - WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT???? I have called the dealership, read and re-read the manual and cannot figure out how to disable this feature. Some may like it, but for me it is VERY dangerous!

The other issue I have with driving, however, is pulling into traffic from a parking lot or from an on ramp on the highway as my neck just doesn't turn far enough that way anymore.

Thanks for the help, though.

------------------
    gbr

JDD
    2 Discograms
    4 Level failed IDET
    4 Confirmed torn lumbar discs, 2 full thickness
    Issues now with c-spine & thoracic
    Fusion of L5/S1 scheduled 3/5/03
    Fusion successful - feeling better all the time
    Major pain on L side of neck to shoulder - MRI revealed 2 shot discs (C5/6 & 6/7)
    3 upper thoracic discs bulging as well
    10/10/06 PLIF L4/5, Dynesys L3/4

Old 09-19-2003, 07:21 AM   #15
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hmmm... no, I've never driven an LHS. But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Just kidding. I did once have a Grand Voyager, though, and my side mirrors never did what you are describing. That does sound very STUPID, and you should not stop just with contacting the dealership; I would go all the way up the line to the manufacturer and even to NHTSA to complain. Why in the world would you not be able to use your mirrors while backing? This is totally idiotic and IS a safety hazard. This should be repaired at absolutely no charge to you... Call Click and Clack if you need to, or Clark Howard; either of them should be able to help you solve this problem.

I hear you about the pulling into traffic from ramps (although if the on-ramp is long enough, the mirrors will be able to help you see) and at other "angles". It's a tough stretch which I have to do slowly so I don't pull something. And I, too, have missed the security of knowing my fenders are still with me.
    wr

Closed Thread